Vote for Our Mud on TMC!

Geas Home

Play the Game

skill defence

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

ganandorf
Overlord

skill defence

Postby ganandorf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:15 am

Is the skill defence not used when wearing a shield? I noticed a halt in the ammount of improves gotten in this skill when fighting with a shield, when I switched back to a two handed weapon I noticed the ammount of improves increase immediately.
Meow

Zehren
Champion

Re: skill defence

Postby Zehren » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:23 am

I *think* I have gotten defense improves while using a shield before.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

ganandorf
Overlord

Postby ganandorf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:27 am

I may still be getting defence imps while wearing a shield, but... noticeably less.
Meow

luminier
Overlord

Postby luminier » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:34 am

Defence should just be the measure of your character being able to do anything defensive. If you suck with a shield, you won't block much with it and it will probably hinder your character in combat more than help it. What does this mean? If your defensive skill was at a "high level" and your shield skill was "low level" might mean that you defending all around worse making you unable to successfully defend (or defend well enough with a shield equipped to have the MUD recognize it as "successful").

I find that the skill system (especially at high levels) will only reward successful or critical hits to improve the skill.

That said, if you are defending yourself poorly with a shield, the number of "successes" or "critical defends" would be much lower with the shield than without the hindrance of a shield.

If this is the case, wearing a shield vs wearing no shield would make you less likely to get improvements.

I would assume that the better you get with a shield means that you would be able to get more of these "critical defends" and raise your defensive skill.

This is all just speculative over my years playing here. I could be wrong. But it does make sense doesn't it?
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Return to “Newbie Help”