Mages

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Alberic

Mages

#1 Post by Alberic » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:49 am

Do they exist? I've been training at the scribes and alchemist's guilds in the hope that I could learn more about magic in Geas, but I've also been looking over the forums old posts and several seem to indicate that there is no magic system except for clerics.

If this is true then I suggest you change some of your help files that you recommend to newbies when they first get started. I know help guilds specifically mentions a mage guild where you can learn magic and help newplayer mentions mages too. This is kinda misleading for newbies when there are no mages at all.

Also, is there any magic system in the foreseeable future?

stilgar
Champion

#2 Post by stilgar » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:12 am

I think what you miss is some direct OOC info at start. I guess (though your point has quite some sense) one of the unique things in GEAS is you have to discover those things ICly.

This might sound odd, but true.

About magic system, you should ask wizzies :wink:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

Alberic

#3 Post by Alberic » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:46 am

I wouldn't mind having no OOC info, but currently there is OOC info and it tells newbies like me that they can join the mages guild just like any other guild. But after playing for awhile you findout that, surprise, there is no mages guild nor any kind of magic system (besides divine and scribes) and if you want to be able to fight in pvp you have to be a melee character of some type.

I guess what I'm asking for is either:

A) If there is no mage system then remove the info in the help files about it so you don't mislead new players, or:

B) If there is a magic system and it's super top secret then don't make it seem like something new players will have access to.

PS: I like the way that there is alot to learn IC about the world of Geas (which is why I'm playing :D ). It's just hard when you're a new player to learn everything and it's kinda frustrating to read one thing in the help files you are supposed to read when starting out and then find out that it's not true.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#4 Post by Abharsair » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:09 am

I am sorry if "help guilds" caused confusion. It's a bit outdated and will be changed as of now. However, there is a magic system, and I don't mean scribes or clerics. Unfortunately it's not accessible yet and is in the process of being tested and having descriptions added/checked. However, once it is accessible you all will know.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

jezz
Hero

#5 Post by jezz » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:20 am

Yuup, magic exists, as I have seen some players using it. Still, the magic system is really nothing you have seen before, with many levels of expertise and ways to use it.

Right now the full potential is not avaliable (I think), but well, be sure you are not wasting if what you want is to become a mage in a future ;)

Alamar
Master

Magic

#6 Post by Alamar » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:05 am

I have been posting something on the Ideas board about magic, but here I finally find that there is a magic system that is in the final stages of playtesting! Huzzah!

I think that the OOC information is quite valid. Our characters may not know IC how to join the mages or use magic, but surely they have all heard stories about wizards and mages. Surely we have heard rumours of what groups use magic or of certain individuals who use it. Right now magic is still so mysterious that a newbie might not encounter it after many days or even weeks of game time. Don't give away too much, but it would be good to throw newbies a bone so that they can think about how to plan their character for the future.

-Alamar