Commands I Just Can't Find

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

valder
Professional

Commands I Just Can't Find

#1 Post by valder » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:54 am

I've got two questions! I've looked over the FAQ, the Newbie Guide, Getting Started, and the command list on the website, and I'm stumped.

First: I feel like a litterbug! I seem to be dropping burnt-out torches and empty bottles all over the place, and I don't get the impression they decay. Is there a better way to dispose of useless items, other than just dropping them?

Second/Next/Last: I see raw meat! I see pans! I see fire! I see meat in pans in fires. Is that all it takes to cook something? There's no help file on "cook".
Help > Fishing wrote:Do not forget to cook the fish before eating, otherwise you might become a bit sick.
Thanks!
Valder of the Hundred Graves
Naarvedi Tramp

Abharsair
Site Admin

Re: Commands I Just Can't Find

#2 Post by Abharsair » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:14 am

valder wrote:I've got two questions! I've looked over the FAQ, the Newbie Guide, Getting Started, and the command list on the website, and I'm stumped.

First: I feel like a litterbug! I seem to be dropping burnt-out torches and empty bottles all over the place, and I don't get the impression they decay. Is there a better way to dispose of useless items, other than just dropping them?
Items of low value (such as the ones described by you) do "decay". After three room resets they are usually gone, but since one reset takes about 90 minutes, it can take a while. Technically it does not really do any harm to just drop those things, but if you want to get rid of them, you can always get yourself a shovel/hoe and do "bury <item>". The items will still be around, but no one sees them.
valder wrote: Second/Next/Last: I see raw meat! I see pans! I see fire! I see meat in pans in fires. Is that all it takes to cook something? There's no help file on "cook".
Help > Fishing wrote:Do not forget to cook the fish before eating, otherwise you might become a bit sick.
Yes, that is all it takes to fry meat or fish. And there is no help-file because it is right now merely an esthetic feature. It doesn't really make any technical difference whether you fry your meat or don't. We thought about raw meat which can make you sick, but that would make a newbie's life a bit harder, and their lives are already tough enough. Fish is an exception, though, because raw fish can make you pretty sick.

But for all of you who would like a better "cooking" system, there is hope. One of our wizards has taken some interest into implementing cooking as a craft, and it's just a matter of when he finds time to do so.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Kortha
Master

#3 Post by Kortha » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:16 am

1. There's no trash cans or trash command or whatever. If I get too annoyed with random item spam, I just give them to Volog or someone else who doesn't just drop it again. You can also dig a hole and bury it.

2. Yep, that's all it takes to cook something. There's no actual cooking skill though, and meat gets kinda buggy unless you cook each piece separately. Just be careful not to burn yourself when trying to start a fire, heh.
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.

valder
Professional

#4 Post by valder » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:01 pm

Time to continue my poor, neglected thread.

I trained a smidge in swimming, and I find rivers/lakes/pools all over the place. But... how do I swim? Just about every command I can think of to swim/enter/dive into a body of water doesn't work. Is swim even an active skill? Do I need to "change into swimsuit" before the "dive" command is available? ;)
Naarvedi Tramp

Delia
Overlord

#5 Post by Delia » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:12 pm

There aren't that many places with swimming enabled...but when you do find one, make sure you arent heavily encumbered, hence my signature :wink:
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

valder
Professional

#6 Post by valder » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:25 pm

Could you recommend one place where I could test swimming? Preferably someplace that's not 5 days' march into Giat. :)
Naarvedi Tramp

Delia
Overlord

#7 Post by Delia » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:36 pm

I think the river that starts from north of the hut just east of the crossroads
that goes into the swamps has swimming enabled. Don't remember if I have tested any other places.

valder
Professional

#8 Post by valder » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:09 pm

Yep, just tried the river. Pretty much nekkid, and I got swept away, and came up in what I can only assume was Devil's Garden. THAT's no good! Dead twice in an hour. I'm changing my present title to "of the Hundred Graves".

Arborea needs a swimming pool! How the heck are we supposed to improve the swimming skill, when the only place you can swim kills you? :x
Naarvedi Tramp

Delia
Overlord

#9 Post by Delia » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:45 pm

I died a two or three times when swimming/diving too...just remember, no metal! You can swim and dive with almost no skill if nude/less than 10% encumbrance and volume...start with that.
With 10-20 skill you can do with minimum eq, and luck. You can drop things if you start to drown...dive them up with no eq on...
No one said swimming is easy with even just clothes on ;)

Kortha
Master

#10 Post by Kortha » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:18 am

Delia wrote:No one said swimming is easy with even just clothes on ;)
Yeah I oughtta know...I must be one of the 3 ppl in the world who don't know how to swim irl. :P
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.

valder
Professional

#11 Post by valder » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:21 am

Whereas I started swimming when I was 3, so I think it's absurdly hard for my poor little character.
Naarvedi Tramp

tessa
Overlord

#12 Post by tessa » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:10 pm

I've heard stories about how dangerous swimming is, and how everyone's chars. constantly drown and things, but I've never had Tessa in danger. She swims fine.

valder
Professional

#13 Post by valder » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:04 am

Where did you practice swimming? Gonduin river?
Naarvedi Tramp

tannorath
Experienced

#14 Post by tannorath » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:09 am

I also trained swimming to 13 or so in the river near Arborea and had no problem at all! I did it naked though :lol:

tessa
Overlord

#15 Post by tessa » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:02 pm

valder wrote:Where did you practice swimming? Gonduin river?
Yep, it's the only place I know.

Devi
Hero

#16 Post by Devi » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:39 pm

You used to be able to go swimming near Cumberly, but someone must've zapped the rooms. (I got a missing room message when I tried about two months ago.)

anglachel
Site Admin

#17 Post by anglachel » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:57 am

Devi wrote:You used to be able to go swimming near Cumberly, but someone must've zapped the rooms. (I got a missing room message when I tried about two months ago.)
The river south of Cumberly :?: It should astill exits. Or is there another river or lake nearby :?:

Devi
Hero

#18 Post by Devi » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:11 pm

It was zzzapped or misplaced. ;)
"Could not compile "/d/Arborea/rooms/amward/cumberly/village/river03.c"

Drake
Wizard

ok

#19 Post by Drake » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:36 pm

Ok, thats been fixed now.

Let me know if there's still problems encountered.
Evil in Training.
Gods middle finger.

valder
Professional

#20 Post by valder » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:06 pm

I've seen people throw items into adjacent rooms, apparently as a non-attack. What's the command to do this? It seems like throw requires a wielded weapon and a target, and toss only works in one place that I know of.

Hurl? Chuck? Lob? :)
Naarvedi Tramp