Tshaharks

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Herger

Tshaharks

#1 Post by Herger » Tue May 30, 2006 10:34 am

Would be nice if newbie Tshaharks get a hint how to get their weapons past the city guards. It is quite frustrating if you explore a bit, past the western city gate and are forced to leave the sword from the newbie-intro behind.

Alamar
Master

#2 Post by Alamar » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:29 am

I was thinking about this problem for awhile... been some time since you posted here Herger, I know, but it came up again.

Why do tshaharks start out in Arborea anyway? As newbies they start with a sword and armour... so how did they get there to begin with? It must be frustrating for a newbie to be exploring around and suddenly realize that he/she cannot get back to where they started out... which gives newbies a sense of safety and certainty.

Why not start Tshaharks out in the Underground? Aren't they mountain/cave dwellers to some degree (I know pale ones are)? Elvandar is the other logical choice, which is easy to find your way around in and is the most newbie friendly next to Arborea. Elvandar is by far more Tshahark friendly than Arborea is.

-poAlamar

Mathias
Apprentice

#3 Post by Mathias » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:09 pm

The underground would make a good starting location since the dwarves and were the ones to help the tshaharks out in the first place. When or if the tshahark castle is ever finished that of course would be the ideal starting location.

Alamar
Master

#4 Post by Alamar » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:26 am

A Tshahark Castle? Wow! I like it!

-Alamar

Torel
Apprentice

#5 Post by Torel » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:30 am

So the Tshahark castle doesn't exist IG yet?

tessa
Overlord

#6 Post by tessa » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:05 am

Not yet. It is on the "to do" list, though.

Torel
Apprentice

#7 Post by Torel » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:38 am

Would be cool if humans still could become Tshaharks ^^

vurdijak
Hero

tshaharks

#8 Post by vurdijak » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:49 am

The closest thing I've seen to that is somehow a person (human) ICly got their hands on a tshahark costume. Of course, this costume did not make them stronger and dumber that I could tell.

Sairina
Hero

#9 Post by Sairina » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:39 pm

Wasn't that a custom item?

luminier
Overlord

#10 Post by luminier » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:25 pm

ahha if humans could become tshaharks id make luminier one in a second.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

tessa
Overlord

Re: tshaharks

#11 Post by tessa » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:31 pm

vurdijak wrote:The closest thing I've seen to that is somehow a person (human) ICly got their hands on a tshahark costume. Of course, this costume did not make them stronger and dumber that I could tell.
A human had it? I'm pretty sure it's been in elven hands for the last few years. :P

Devi
Hero

#12 Post by Devi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:43 pm

A human had it? I'm pretty sure it's been in elven hands for the last few years. :P
Maybe he's thinking of the original owner, who was the coolest human ever.

tessa
Overlord

#13 Post by tessa » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:12 am

Right, but that was so many years ago, I'm surprised anyone remembered it being used by the human femme fatales.

vurdijak
Hero

remembered

#14 Post by vurdijak » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:23 am

I doubt I remember that. More likely I just called an elf a human. Fortunately it happened in OOC land

tessa
Overlord

#15 Post by tessa » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:39 am

See how effective the costume is? You don't even remember who was in it!

Behold the powers of the tshahark suit!

Delmon
Champion

#16 Post by Delmon » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:39 pm

Ive seen it on a certain she elf!

Grimforge
Apprentice

Re: Tshaharks

#17 Post by Grimforge » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:55 pm

Disappointing to see that this was brought up so long ago and remains an issue. I thought I'd try something different on a new MUD rather than one of the usual races and picking Tshahark was very frustrating as a newbie experience:

- If you wander down to the harbour, you can't get back in with your sword
Newbie jobs handed out by the barfly:
- Kelric asks you to bring him a beer, the barman won't serve you
- Boreas is supposed to have a problem for you to solve, he won't speak to "monsters"
- Ecthor tells you that you haven't been referred by Kelric
- head west to find people to send you on gremlins and nibbler missions and you can be out the gate facing the whole sword-carrying problem again
- Grimthain tells you to get a broom from another town (same old problem)

I'd cheerfully RP round all this if it was after I had found my feet and had a base where I could come and go, buy food etc. It also took a fair while before it sunk in that the NPCs speaking in babble was possibly down to my "low intelligence" rather than them refusing to speak common since once in a while it came through crystal clear (about the sixth time of trying to buy a beer, for example.)

[edit]P.S. I bring this up here and not in game because I was not willing to talk IC. Several chars did try to follow me about and communicate IC. Ironically having rerolled a dwarf I haven't been mobbed by helpers while making this post. Either its too late at night or stunties must smell or something ;-)

Delmon
Champion

#18 Post by Delmon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:08 pm

Sorry I couldnt help you when needed.
Tshaharks have their ups and downs as well as any race.

Advantage:
-easy to rp + tshaharks have a natural sense of helping each other out
-immense strength/constitution advantage: easy to kill npcs with
-less time needed to train to be an effective warrior

Disadvantage:
-low intelligence
-Arborean coded problems/issues with weapons ect.
-low agility
-no night vision? (if you can count that)

Speaking of a base: Elvandar is the best city, or the Underground. Both have banks, armouries, weapon shops, and lockers. You can forget Arborea if you want.

tessa
Overlord

#19 Post by tessa » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:10 pm

In my opinion, tshaharks are the hardest of the starting races to play. They are highly specialized in combat, but this comes at a disadvantage, too: they basically can't look towards any career but warrior. They're also severely limited in guilds they can join, they're a cold-blooded race, they have an extra location to be hit (tail), usually can't count past 2, etc.

I guess it can be arguable how easy or hard they are to RP. The other races are fairly easy to slip into since they're used in many fantasies, but tshaharks are a unique race to GEAS and thus can take a little adjusting and learning to know how to play.

Though this isn't to say I discourage playing one. They can be quite fun and rewarding, though I wouldn't advise them for someone just starting out in GEAS, due to their restrictions and challenges.

luminier
Overlord

#20 Post by luminier » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:09 pm

I wouldn't say that they shouldn't be used by newbies. Alot of people like playing the fighter from what I have seen, and with some patience they can be the best fighter on the MUD.

The only thing that should be revealed or given a warning to when choosing a tshahark is that they are a "dumb" race and should be played like that, unless they have an IC reason to be smart.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.