A few things about Geas

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

vurdijak
Hero

A few things about Geas

#1 Post by vurdijak » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:44 am

Picking the right race makes a big difference.
I would not advise trying to make a tshahark bookworm, unless you have about 10 years of freetime.

Looking at rooms.
I would advise carefully reading the rooms descriptions in every room, as
almost every room here is unique in some way. Look at the objects in the
room, and if something looks important, search it.

Skills and stats.
Learning becomes exponentially harder as you learn more and more skills.
I would recommend to the newbie who wants to play a long time, choose
your skills wisely, and don't just practice as many skills as you can. This is
just my personal opinion, but I think some specialization is important to making a great character.

Vargrahim
Master

#2 Post by Vargrahim » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:13 pm

I think humans are good in a sense, they're diverse (at least I hope they have some kind of breadth bonus) - that's why I picked human, actually. It's easy to think, for the moment, that you're sure of what you want.. but actually, it's going to change. Both because you think differently as a player, and then because you think different as a character.

Anyway, I do dislike the (non-existing) NIGHTVISION of humans/half-elves/tshaharks/halflings... hrm hrm.. Don't pick anything without nightvision unless you can live with dragging along a lamp or rely on other items.. Just had to stick it in somewhere ;)

And if I would recommend something, I would recommend you not to practice at all. Just be around and do the things you like, unless you just MUST have the strongest character of all. (Which you ain't gonna get because there are some really bad bastards way ahead of you). That way you get the most fun.
"The economic anarchy of capitalist society as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of the evil." - Albert Einstein

jezz
Hero

#3 Post by jezz » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:10 pm

Theory: This looks like the beggining of a powergaming guide *grin*

vurdijak
Hero

One more suggestion

#4 Post by vurdijak » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:22 pm

The above post by myself is not intended as a powergaming guide, for any
newbies who might be confused. Instead I am trying to help people who are new to understand the world of Geas, so that they can create the type of character they really want. And since this is the newbie help thread, and definitely not the powergaming thread that already exists, I'll post one more relevant suggestion.

Help files: There are a lot of help files that give out great information. I suggest using help commands at the beginning and reading everything that is listed. This is a good way to learn about the world, which is rich in detail, and a great way to learn commands, so that you can customize your character and control it with more precision.

Alamar
Master

#5 Post by Alamar » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:45 pm

Not sure that saying things like "Tshaharks are not so smart" is considered powergaming :? . Helping newbies should be the primary concern of players who would like to see more than the same twenty faces every time they get on... specific IC tips should be avoided, but little helpful hints might increase our player base, which adds more variety and fun to our game.

Most newbies should know about "quests" which occur when you go to an NPC (non-player character... that is to say a static computer character) and ask them for help.

Generally the easiest way to find out if an npc has a quest is to start by typing "introduce me" which gives your name to the npc and it will automatically reply by giving you his name as well.

Then, type: "ask (npc's name) help" which will trigger a quest where they will tell you to perform a certain task in exchange for items, money, experience or combinations of all three.

Sometimes npcs will say a series of things and wait for you to respond to them. Nearly all of the responses that you should give them are one-word answers. For example,

If you ask an npc help, he might say:

"yes, i might have a job for you."

Your best bet is to type "ask (npc's name) job"

Typically the one word that is required for the quest is the last noun mentioned in the character's last sentence, but it varies from time to time. A little experimentation will often yield results quicker than you think. If you are totally baffled you can always type "newbie (question)" which will send out your message all of the newbie helpers who are currently online and they will help you if possible.

-Alamar