General Questions

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

sallapati

General Questions

#1 Post by sallapati » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:07 pm

Greetings.. I should say I'm a total newbie and because of my off-peakish playing times I can't enjoy the help of other players, so typing my questions here became a must.

- How may someone become the follower of a God? I learned to devote candles in temples. Will I shift to becoming a follower as I devote candles? What else may I do to codewise attract a God's favour in me?
- With a player's help I managed to find the dwarven underground. But their temple is not shown on the map given by the newsboy there and I couldn't find it while wandering around. Am I doing something wrong or is it just well-hidden?
- I had started playing here with another character and then I have abandoned it. Now I want to get rid of it so it doesn't take unnecessary space in the server's hard-disc. How may I 'delete' an account?

Thanks in advance for your answers and excuse me for the mistakes I made while typing - I'm a non-native English speaker.

kaspars
Journeyman

#2 Post by kaspars » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:39 pm

It`s great to see new players here .. and let`s start with small morale for new player - try not to concentrate on becoming follower of some certain god :)
Disclaimer: all following is just my opinion and should not be taken as the only truth - people play this game in many ways.
Let your character live among people he likes and interact with people who are living in way your character likes (for example - if you want to live in peace and harmony, it would be bad idea to stick with followers of Sathonys, God of Death.)
Think what your character wants to do and visit temple of the God, your character finds attractive.
Listen to priests, who explain nature of the God, your character finds attractive.
Devote candles or corpses :twisted: depending on God your char likes
This all will move your character towards one of the Gods.

Speaking about location of different areas - I believe it will be the best if you find it yourself. Trust me, it will help to understand and remember area much better then if somebody drags you to some certain place, really.

About the last question - I believe you should mail/ask wizard. Never did such action, so I have no experience with it.

Besides, I would reccomend you to read this forum and news - there is a lot of different topics that could help you to understand game mechanics and different aspects of this game. For example I spent few days digging through all this info - it`s worth reading if you decide to play Geas seriously.

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:19 pm

Besides, I would reccomend you to read this forum and news - there is a lot of different topics that could help you to understand game mechanics and different aspects of this game. For example I spent few days digging through all this info - it`s worth reading if you decide to play Geas seriously.
Can't really top that in any way.

BTW...its best to tell people OOC you are a total newbie what GEAS is concerned, as people tend to have multiple characters here. As soon as your newbie-status is established, people are more than happy to help you around.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

chara
Wizard

#4 Post by chara » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:16 pm

Welcome, Sallapati! Unused characters are automatically deleted after a specific period of time, so you don't have to worry about the one you started and don't want any more. Thanks for thinking of it, though.

If you have syntax problems while you're playing, you can always commune a wizard. If no wizard is visible on the who list, do "commune all" to see if one is around behind the scenes. I hope you have a great time!

Of course, this is also a good time to remind our older players that new characters should be treated as new players, not written off as seconds...

Olrane
Champion

#5 Post by Olrane » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:51 pm

Welcome, Sallapati! We always love to see new players. As was said before, sacrifice to gods will gain you favour and in time will change your worship. As well as using commune, utilize the newbie line to ask general questions about the world or about syntax - people are almost always willing to help.

Sairina
Hero

#6 Post by Sairina » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:49 am

I wonder what the "specific period of time" is, after which an inactive char would be deleted. Would be nice to know, just in case...

genesis
Wizard

#7 Post by genesis » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:25 pm

You can also read that stament in another way:
"Don't worry about deleting your characters. You'll never know if you want to start again."
Genesis the ideaSpawner

chara
Wizard

#8 Post by chara » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:01 pm

I don't remember the exact time, but it depends on how long the character was played. A character that was abandoned shortly after generation will be deleted relatively quickly, while a character that was played for years will take years to disappear.

If you want to keep your other char for backup, just log in with him or her every so often, and you'll be fine.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#9 Post by Abharsair » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:07 pm

Sairina wrote:I wonder what the "specific period of time" is, after which an inactive char would be deleted. Would be nice to know, just in case...
Usually we only purge characters which are a couple hours old or younger, and then only if they didn't log in for a couple of hundred days. Characters with more than 24 hours playtime haven't been purged yet to my knowledge.

Sairina
Hero

#10 Post by Sairina » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:05 am

OK, then I won't have to worry :D Even though I don't know how many hours I've played yet, but I certainly won't wait more than hundred days before playing again... it's by far too addictive :wink:

Abharsair
Site Admin

#11 Post by Abharsair » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:45 am

Sairina wrote:Even though I don't know how many hours I've played yet...
Just type stats and look for "Age" in the upper right corner of your display.