A question about alignment

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

sallapati

A question about alignment

#1 Post by sallapati » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:24 am

Recently my character's alignment has faded from 'blessed' to demonic in an unbelieveable speed. No I didn't attack anything but nibblers, thildens and gremlins. No I didn't skin/butcher etc.. corpses of humanoids. I didn't do quests for any evil.
I know there must be another reason for that to happen. So I'd like to know what caused it, so I can avoid such a situation in advance.

Also if someone may tell me how to make my 'demonic' character back to good, I'll be most grateful.

Thanks in advance for your advices and answers.

Delia
Overlord

re

#2 Post by Delia » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:42 am

You might have spent time with someone(s) with a bad reputation. The change can be quite fast, more so if you team with bad guys I think. Hang around with the good guys and your rep will rise.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Abharsair
Site Admin

#3 Post by Abharsair » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:50 am

Alignment changes don't happen instantly. It can take up to 30 minutes for an action to have any effect on alignment. So if you notice a sudden drop, try to remember what you did a short while before.

To raise your reputation spend time with decent people, aid people, fix their broken limbs, cure them, give occasionally money to beggars, do good quests and stay away from trouble.

sallapati

#4 Post by sallapati » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:13 am

You mean.... staying in the same room with an evil character makes you... evil? Or hanging around with them means teaming with them?

By the way, thanks to you all for the quick answers. I just want to know, there's one person who's even more newbie than I am and she's evil I guess (that was the only character I hung around with while my reputation fell). May I still stay in the same room with her to tell her about a few tips or should I keep away?

Abharsair
Site Admin

#5 Post by Abharsair » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:38 am

Staying in the same room with an evil person decreases your reputation, yes. However, there is a certain amount of time in which the evil person's reputation doesn't affect you, so if you just meet him or even talk to him shortly, your reputation won't drop. But if you spend an extended period of time voluntarily with him, your reputation will be negatively affected.

If you team with an evil person, your reputation will drop even faster than if you just stay in the same room with him.

sallapati

#6 Post by sallapati » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:43 pm

Damn.. Please let the hint that 'Even being in the same room with someone evil makes you evil.' be put in a documentation where a newbie can see.
I just became evil to help a player who's even less experienced than I am and now I'm demonic. Giving gold coins to beggars didn't help, there are no 'good' tasks that I can do and I'm sure the next time a crusader sees me he'll be willing to kill. It's so frustrating that I'm even thinking of giving up the character and start a new one.
Please let the rules of reputation be seen clearly somewhere so another newbie player doesn't feel the same frustration I do.

chara
Wizard

#7 Post by chara » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:23 pm

Remember that changes to reputation are not immediately visible. Therefore, you won't know exactly which good actions have taken effect until quite some time after you have done them.

Best to treat the reputation in an IC way - act surprised that people would have a negative feeling about you, and do your earnest best to change their opinion.

Delia
Overlord

#8 Post by Delia » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:46 am

Its also best(more or less) to ignore what your rep says and just play your character. If you play evil or good, you should know where you stand. Personally I'd like not to see my chars rep, after talking with some baddies typing stats and seeing your rep lowered from good+ to malevolent- its quite tempting just to go smashing some undead or something similar not otherwise usually done to get the rep back. Its far more fun just to continue playing the character and doing things he/she would normally do, being obvilious to a sudden fall from grace until someone actually comes to address the fact :)
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra