Stat Decreases = after death

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

ganandorf
Overlord

Stat Decreases = after death

#1 Post by ganandorf » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:42 am

When you die mulitiple times, lets say four, for example, your stats tend to fall around atleast 1, maybe 1.5 levels from where they previously were. ive been told to regain all you have to do is be on Geas. not like idling, but doing something be it alchemy, herbalism, fighting
What is the best way to regain stats after deaths.
Meow

Delia
Overlord

#2 Post by Delia » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:08 am

There is no simple solution for it, and if there is I doubt wizzes will tell us ;) Doing something and being patient helps.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

ganandorf
Overlord

#3 Post by ganandorf » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:09 am

okay, thanks Delia, just wasnt sure if it was common knowledge or not.

but if you wizzies want to tell me the secret, i wouldnt mind much
Meow

Abharsair
Site Admin

#4 Post by Abharsair » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:13 pm

There's no "best solution". Yes, idling doesn't work, but aside from that just about any other activity makes you recover vitality. And it's a myth fighting makes you recover faster. Herb searching, swimming or reading a book works just as well.

ganandorf
Overlord

#5 Post by ganandorf » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:15 pm

thanks again Abh, good to know :D
Meow

delem
Journeyman

#6 Post by delem » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:42 am

Yeah, seems like Abharsair said what I was about to. Finding herbs, doing something and not just standing there (even though your not gaining skills) helps you recover quite fast. For me, I just fight things because my character has a wide variety of things to choose to kill, so yes, fighting is as good as just searching herbs.

Amadeus

Re: Stat Decreases = after death

#7 Post by Amadeus » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:58 am

I have a question as a recently twice dying in short time character. It seems ot me like the stats are going back to what they were as much as I am simpyl earning experience for raising skills and such. Like I lost it permanently and am just having to regrind everything. So is the experience loss actually temporary or is it just gone?

Olrane
Champion

#8 Post by Olrane » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:16 am

Amadeus wrote:I have a question as a recently twice dying in short time character. It seems ot me like the stats are going back to what they were as much as I am simpyl earning experience for raising skills and such. Like I lost it permanently and am just having to regrind everything. So is the experience loss actually temporary or is it just gone?
The experience loss is 100% temporary. It's common to be unsure of what your true maximum values are especially if you're recovering from deaths at the same time a you're growing quickly in experience.

My advice: believe that your stats are not perma-reduced (because they aren't) and try your best to not focus so much on stat recovery.

Urlyth
Veteran

#9 Post by Urlyth » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:39 am

There's no "best solution". Yes, idling doesn't work, but aside from that just about any other activity makes you recover vitality. And it's a myth fighting makes you recover faster. Herb searching, swimming or reading a book works just as well.
I have to say that in my recent bout of unlucky deaths I have found that only fighting things slightly bigger than myself actually seem to bring my stats back up.

I have tried mining, herbing, sharpening, and lots of other things ending in ing but still the only time I seem to get an affective move back up on my stats is when fighting slightly bigger stuff. Its hard work and you DO start to wonder if the xp from this fighting is just replacing old stats or being put towards your new stat.

I know I have been assured that as long as you are not idle your fitness returns but I still think its a bit buggy. I would say that on my hours logged in the return of fitness ration is hellish slow and can maybe for younger members be very frustrating.

I am not complaining just passing on my observances in this topic. I know we are short of people to give time to fixing things but I think some thing could be buggy in this area.

I know exactly what my latest stats are because I have a habit of recording in a file my stats each day before my final log out. This way I can keep track for personal use of where I was to where I am.

luminier
Overlord

#10 Post by luminier » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:46 am

i don't think anyone has died more than luminier so I like to think I have a pretty good idea of how to recover efficiently. of course since luminier is primarily a fighter Ill typically just fight fight fight to recover. but literally anything will work.

nibblers/gremlins/goblins/hobgoblins/bugbears/ogres/gnolls/flind/giants if you can name it'll recover stat loss after death.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

lanyara
Overlord

#11 Post by lanyara » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:15 am

Its hard work and you DO start to wonder if the xp from this fighting is just replacing old stats or being put towards your new stat.
If the mechanism did not change then you don't lose anything from dying other than the temporary stat decrease due to vitality loss (and a possible OOC frustration from having died). So logically there can never be anything like "replacing old stats" because you progress both with full vitality or with lower vitality just the same in "XP size", as far as the mechanism is concerned.
Best race: halflings.