Polytheism - Question about recent changes in religion code

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

rafael
Professional

Polytheism - Question about recent changes in religion code

#1 Post by rafael » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:44 pm

Is it supposed to be very hard to be a practicing polytheist ?
Or is it just meant to be hard to have and maintain a medium level of faith with a god if you have a high level of faith with another?

I just envision that there might be characters who might honor more than one god, but it seems to be much harder now. I imagine this was the purpose of the changes, but I still wonder if it should be posible to practice polytheistic worship among gods that are not too far in the alignment scale.

In any case, it seems to be possible still, but since I have found it quite hard to maintain the favour, it might be best just to do it occasionaly in an opportunistic manner or just for roleplay purposes. (i.e. non Asral worshiper makes some sacrifices before a battle to defend his home town. etc.)

Naga
Hero

#2 Post by Naga » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:59 pm

Religion in Geas can be described, rather than polytheism, as henotheism:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henotheism

rafael
Professional

#3 Post by rafael » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:21 pm

Got it. Although the code changes where not so subtly leading me in that direction. :}

chara
Wizard

#4 Post by chara » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:35 am

Yes, henotheism sounds about right. Everyone in Geas (with the sole exception of the hideously stupid and the mad) believes in all of the gods.

Each of the gods is primarily out for him or herself, and wants worshipers to devote themselves primarily to them. They have alliances with the other gods (for example, Taniel is quite close to Evren, and more loosely favors Gwen). They will, with varying amounts of curmudgeonly grumbling, accept some amount of devotion from their followers toward their natural allies. They will have quite a lot of intolerance toward any show of respect or devotion to their natural enemies.

Taniel would never say, oh, you worship Evren now, but it's all good. He would be angry if a follower would devote as much or more worship toward Evren. So worshiping two gods equally has negative consequences.

The gods are also demanding of their followers. They do not expect them to be friendly toward their enemy gods, or their enemy gods' followers.