Carrying vs Pockets or Backpack

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Delmon
Champion

Carrying vs Pockets or Backpack

#1 Post by Delmon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:04 pm

What does "carrying" an object actually mean?
Does it mean with your hands, or are you attaching it somewhere?

Does it affect fighting, and is there a difference between putting things in pockets or just plain carrying?

Sorry, but I've never really considered it before now and it's bothering me.

isengoo
Champion

#2 Post by isengoo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:59 pm

Eh, most MUDs have an inventory, just for the sake of convenience. I try to keep my items in bags and things, but sometimes it doesn't work out.

Delmon
Champion

#3 Post by Delmon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:33 pm

So the pockets and backpacks are just like protection against less spam?

If so, that makes perfect sense.

tessa
Overlord

#4 Post by tessa » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:39 pm

Things are less burdensome in pockets/bags/backpacks/etc.

I assume an 'inventory' is what you carry in your hands, tuck under your arm, fling over your shoulder, etc.

rafael
Professional

#5 Post by rafael » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:02 pm

Actually, as a newbie I found the opposite to be true with backpacks, quivers and sheathes. It was easier to just carry the stuff instead of putting it someplace that made sense. Wearing it also was not exactly for the better either.

tessa
Overlord

#6 Post by tessa » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:39 pm

It depends on the items. Getting a 10 pound backpack for a 2 pound item isn't ideal. But a 10 pound backpack for say... 30 pounds of junk would work better.

Basically, if the reduced weight is smaller than the weight of the container and the original weight of the junk, it's to your advantage. But sometimes the container can weigh more than the reduced weight, if they are smaller items.

rafael
Professional

#7 Post by rafael » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:03 am

Guess I should start working on being able to carry 30 pounds of junk :}

Grindel
Veteran

#8 Post by Grindel » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:55 am

I was under the impression that a backpack does reduce the volume things need (or: increases your volume capacity), while the weights stay the same and just get added together -- which makes perfectly sense to me. The weight of the backpack itself is the price one pays for more space.

Chikatilo
Experienced

#9 Post by Chikatilo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:30 am

keeping them in inventory means they are shown quite openly? then why you need the check command to see them? for example you cannot see a huge log on someones shoulder without check. you could of course use the command often but that is considered shady.
"....."

adanath
Champion

#10 Post by adanath » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 pm

There are multiple aspects to consider when looking at this:

1.) Carrying items inside containers can help your volume drastically and even your weight a little if it is a worn container.
2.) Because of the affect to volume you do indeed fight better the less volume and weight that you have.
3.) Having a crap-ton of items that you are "carrying" around always is really more or less not the best roleplay (though for inventory purposes you do have to slight roleplay a bit).
4.) Whatever you carry in your backpack is less likely to be stolen.
5.) Someone can check your inventory and see whatever you are carrying and move to steal a specific object from your inventory.
6.) Your volume and weight also affect the rate at which you tire. (though carrying pretty much solely affects volume, I believe this affects it as well).

Olrane
Champion

Re: Carrying vs Pockets or Backpack

#11 Post by Olrane » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:19 am

I agree from experience that items in containers are much, much harder to steal. Keeping your possessions secret is good.