Stat loss

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Delmon
Champion

Stat loss

#1 Post by Delmon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:41 pm

What is the exact difference between having full favour with gods and not having any favour whatsoever in terms of stat regaining after death?

With no favour it is 5 sub levels, each of which take roughly 2(on a good run)-3 hours to regain. Just wondering how worth it is to get on a god's good side. :P (or point out to the unknowing how bad it is to find yourself in bad favour)

I'm guessing with great favour it is 2 sub levels but obviously I don't know.

tessa
Overlord

#2 Post by tessa » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:11 pm

I think this is a situation you're going to need to learn from trial and error. Being given such information is a little too convenient.

Needless to say, it's better to be resurrected by a god you worship and are in favour with as opposed to being resurrected by a god that hates you that you also don't worship.

And though it's not really my place to judge, I'd really recommend against worshipping a god out of OOC convenience, for the mercy of roleplay.

Delmon
Champion

#3 Post by Delmon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:14 pm

Trial and error? Too late for that, especially if you say
I'd really recommend against worshipping a god out of OOC convenience, for the mercy of roleplay
hmm...?

Blizt
Hero

#4 Post by Blizt » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:31 pm

Well, not sure what Tessa means, but what I will reply with is this:

You are asking for an explanation of the code, to make dying and recovering more convenient for yourself. This is an RP mud, and if you are really rping your character this should not matter.

Trial and error, like she said.
Learn by doing.

For your character, it will be an experience for him, that he will benefit from eventually. Knowing what pleases his god, and the other gods.

Delmon
Champion

#5 Post by Delmon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:34 pm

Understanding OOC consequences of IC actions matter, especially when talking in many hours of a game.

Blizt
Hero

#6 Post by Blizt » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Sure it matters, but it is up to YOU to learn them.
Not to be explained to you freely.

If so, it probably would have been in the tutorial.

Delmon
Champion

#7 Post by Delmon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:37 pm

I'm trying to learn it without wasting more hours. :?

Blizt
Hero

#8 Post by Blizt » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:41 pm

Wasting?

Its not wasting!

Its learning!

Delmon
Champion

#9 Post by Delmon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:43 pm

I will make a newbie Tanielite tshahark(very ugly), get full favour in Taniel, and attack the Ranger camp to see what happens to my stats after the suicide! :twisted:

Blizt
Hero

#10 Post by Blizt » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:46 pm

Suicide?

A newbie Tshahark could probably wipe out the Ranger camp.

Also, keep on playing him. Rangers need a real enemy, not Delmon!

Delmon
Champion

#11 Post by Delmon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:47 pm

His name will be Cursaladax the Ugly

Blizt
Hero

#12 Post by Blizt » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:49 pm

Awesome.

Can't wait to meet him.

I wonder how a Tshahark with a speech impediment will pronounce that name though.

Delmon
Champion

#13 Post by Delmon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:54 pm

I don't get it...

Anyways, regardless of my bad spelling ect., let us not degrade Delmon on the forum.

Save that for Luthien tells IC :wink:

Better prepare for Cursaladax!

tessa
Overlord

#14 Post by tessa » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:42 pm

Delmon wrote:Trial and error? Too late for that, especially if you say
I'd really recommend against worshipping a god out of OOC convenience, for the mercy of roleplay
hmm...?
What I mean is saying, "oh, my char icly thinks <god> sucks, but if it helps me as a player to recover from death faster by having my char get faith in <god>, I will do so," which, in my opinion, is not really a recommendable thing to do.

And yes, it does suck to spend OOC hours recovering from an error in the game, but it's something most people find themselves doing, and it's part of what brings spice to the game. If you knew all the rewards/consequences of everything you did beforehand, there'd not be as much challenge or mystery to the game. Or any real consequences, if you can pick and choose what you want. Hence why there's no prototype custom weapons, or trial-battles before real fights, and etc.

Olrane
Champion

#15 Post by Olrane » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:57 am

Trust me, Delmon, there's not a single player here who hasn't banged his palm to his or her respective forehead because of yet another stupid/annoying death. They suck, and they always have. The wizards told us already all that we needed to know - trends that are better or worse for your character's vitality. We're lucky that they didn't just code it and have us pick it up (or not pick up on it) over time. I love that very unknown and raw nature of this MUD, and I would hate to see it destroyed. This isn't WoW, where you'll find people comparing their damage per second and what is the "best" build and other such nonsense. This is a game where success is subjective, and the best comparisons you can make are all in character.

I do sympathize with you if you're at the point where you can't lose any more vitality due to a string of stupid deaths. I've been there, and didn't reach my max vitality until about a OOC year or more later due to continually dying in the recovery process (my character was prone to doing rash things, as I am). It can suck, but there is an upside. Skills are a bit easier to learn while at lowered vitality, and it's a good incentive to stay out of trouble. It's up to you and your character to decide to lay low and recover or to go out and get more enemies. From my experience, how many enemies you have is going to be the biggest factor in recovery over the long term.

Blizt
Hero

#16 Post by Blizt » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:25 am

Yes, I do not believe I have even been max vitality since I started playing again. Unless I am now.........but I do not know.

However, I do not think it is much to complain about.

Delmon
Champion

#17 Post by Delmon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:20 pm

Please don't get the wrong impression. I'm not trying to sound complainy although I understand now that this is what it sounded like.

Ok, so knowing the ooc vitality loss (based on variables) of a death isn't important is what you all are saying. *shrugs* I can deal with that.

Thank you for your insights.

luminier
Overlord

#18 Post by luminier » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:08 pm

i know what u mean olrane.... i think lumi and olrane are around the same "skill level". but tell me what do you do when... most of ur skills are 100? *shivers* i can think of one player who had that trouble. and not it's not lumi.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.