Sharpening not getting sharper

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

triska
Veteran

Sharpening not getting sharper

#1 Post by triska » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:08 am

I have the skill of 61 in sharpening and finding it not just slow to improve but extremely slow.

I have been sharpening lots and lots of weapons and after sometimes sharpening as many as 30/40 weapons not getting any improvement to the skill.

I have tried having a break from it and doing other things and going back to it but still it doesnt seem to get any better.

I have spoken to other players ic and they are also disillusioned with this skill and the time consusming effort for no return.

Is there anything that can be done.

Thanks
Laughter is the best gift to give anyone and its free!

aragog
Professional

#2 Post by aragog » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:34 am

Well, I know it is hard, but I had around 3 months of continuous use for impale until i finally got it from 59 to 60. So the only thing it takes is patience, sorry.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

adanath
Champion

#3 Post by adanath » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:51 am

I don't really have a high sharpening skill with any characters, but I do think that blacksmiths should be able to sharpen for you. This would help out young ones a lot as well.

Sharpening would still be a useful skill so you could go out and hunt and not have to come back all the time.

tessa
Overlord

#4 Post by tessa » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:03 am

What Aragog said is true, sometimes it is just hard. And I think sometimes skills get 'stuck' and for some reason do not move until some undefined time later (ie; Aragog being stuck at 59 impale for 3 months despite use, and I would not be surprised if the skill suddenly started improving easier again once she hit 60).

For about 1-2 years, Tessa had Dark Speech stuck at 78, no matter how much I used it or listened to it. Then, one day, it suddenly improved two times in the course of a few minutes. Since then, the skill has been flying up and is now one of my highest languages.

I think I have had other combat skills (like elbow, or maybe impale, I forget) get stuck somewhere around the 50s and just not want to budge, until it just out of the blue started improving left and right as it used to.

All I can tell you is to just keep trying, and perhaps use sharpen only when you need to and not go out of the way anymore. It takes some patience, but improves should kick into gear again after a little time.

triska
Veteran

Thanks

#5 Post by triska » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks to you people that took the time to read and answer my question its very much appreciated that you do that.
Laughter is the best gift to give anyone and its free!

Olrane
Champion

Re: Sharpening not getting sharper

#6 Post by Olrane » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:17 am

My suggestion for any skill like sharpening is pretty much the same as Tessa's. Don't go out of your way to sharpen weapons, just do it when the natural need arises. It makes more sense ICly too, in my opinion. Take a minute after a fight to maintain a fine edge on your blade, or to help a friend who can't sharpen well. But like any skill, just spamming it is worth a headache and not a skill improve.