huh?

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Taeryl

huh?

#1 Post by Taeryl » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:12 pm

As a new player I have stumbled across a few of the rules, which I have read but don't always remember. As a new player with a relatively weak character, I know better than to 'strut my stuff' which is asking for trouble to come your way in my opinion. With that in mind, why attack a new character? I read the Fair-play principle and a few things quickly became apparent. Wordless communication is a 'very...interesting...thing' on this mud. Area affect offensive spells again are 'very...interesting...thing' on this mud. What are the circumstances under which another more seasoned character can attack a relatively newer character? Is it more or less an laissez-faire or is there something in place that shields new characters from being run through by PvP characters just because they can?

As a new player, my character is not entrenched too much in the rp, guilds, religion, etc not from lack of trying but there's a distinct theme of cliques that make it challenging for a new player to get into the swing of things. Is it hard for the guildless character to get into the swing of the mud? The few safe places that a new player can go either have : 1. alot of other players there or 2. someone waiting to try and kill you. I have been able to moderately entertain myself with doing somethings but it's just a frustration I have. I don't want to seem twinkish because I tend to tarry in places that are relatively safe for me.

Grindel
Veteran

Re: huh?

#2 Post by Grindel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:39 pm

I'm not sure I understand you fully, but I must say that geas is one of the rare games with unrestricted playkill, in which stronger players do NOT just kill any weaker one just because they can. There are no "safe reagions", but no one will be killed without a good IC reason -- at least not often, and then it is bad luck and most likely bad RP on at least one side.

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:19 pm

There is the chance that a new/weak character is killed with overpowering force but usually what I have heard/witnessed it is for RP reasons. I am sure there have been exceptions though. Most often the new/clearly weak character has only been roughed up, so to speak. All in all, I am pretty sure it is rather 'safe' to go around and explore, just remember if something seems/feels scary, RUN!(no chatting around merrily with the guy dressed in bones, etc...) Asking people IC for what to do and what to avoid is a good start if you feel like a few pointers are in place.

It is best to keep in mind that your behaviour will draw attention at one time or another. Most consequences to be expected are rather logical if you think of it beforehand(or afterwards...).
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

sun
Master

#4 Post by sun » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:30 pm

If anyone has a reason, he can kill you (as far as I understand). I am not sure about killing newbies, but it is probably accepted. However, don't be discouraged. Death can be refreshing and interesting, provided that your killer RP's with you. It's not losing, it's a part of the story and it's enjoyable. The privilege of being killed is usually not limited to only experienced characters.

If you want protection, then I suggest a gang of friends which essentially means joining a guild. This is of course a trade-off, since you have to confirm to some rules. In exchange, you'll get a bunch of mean-looking friends who will revenge the killer.. which should prevent most people to try to kill you in the first place. But even if they try, you are still safer within a guild.

Andreati
Master

#5 Post by Andreati » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:23 pm

From 'help fair play'

"2) Do not always kill someone if stunning would be enough. To kill someone
does not prove anything. In fact, stunning someone is much more difficult
and therefore more humiliating for the victim. Playerkill should be the
last resort."

"3) If you greatly outnumber your enemy or if you know that the enemy is much
weaker than you are, try to stun as well. There is no glory in killing
someone half your size, especially if he is alone and you are in a team."

"5) Do not kill Newbies."
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Valtiel

#6 Post by Valtiel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:54 pm

If people kill a newbie it's usually by accident. Otherwise they should be stunning if anything. Beating up a newbie for good reason is perfectly fine. *points to all the human/tshahark newbies who walk out of the arborea inn and instantly try to kill volog*

Taeryl

#7 Post by Taeryl » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback. From previous posts, I didn't think that what I was seeing was out of the norm. Fighting or not fighting PC (ie: fleeing) is very different from fighting or not fighting mobs.