Agility

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Delmon
Champion

Agility

#1 Post by Delmon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:51 pm

Does agility affect the speed in which a character attacks?
What other variables besides armours affect the speed in which a character attacks (in other words the chances your character has to attack)?

luminier
Overlord

Re: Agility

#2 Post by luminier » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:59 pm

agility, less you have on, how skilled you are in the weapon or attack medium, how good you are with the armours you wear... thats all i can think of.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:52 am

I think temperature affects that also...atleast if its really cold specials take a longer time to execute, or so it feels like.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

vurdijak
Hero

#4 Post by vurdijak » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:55 am

How tired you are, maybe terrain?, your opponent slowed down time

anglachel
Site Admin

#5 Post by anglachel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:45 am

Yes, agility influnce your combat speed together with your current fatigue, worn armours, encumbarence, temperature and some other things.
The agility (but not only) determines your basic speed, which is affected by the others factors.
Strength has an indirect influnce. The same armour doesn't handicap you so much if you are stonger.
There are also some skills, which can receduce speed penalties.

Delmon
Champion

#6 Post by Delmon » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:51 pm

Thank you thank you...

Does a more defensive mood affect not only better parrying, but better dodging and countering?

Zengo
Professional

#7 Post by Zengo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:18 pm

I think trial and error by one should be used here, instead of a semi explanation of the code.

If you fight something unarmed in mood frenzy, then fight the same thing unarmed in mood wimpy or defend......the answer may just be obvious.

Also, as for countering.......just change your mood and type "combat"
The percentages there.........they should tell you.

jezz
Hero

#8 Post by jezz » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:14 am

I have read already some posts asking for questions about how the code works.

While I'm noone to say if this should be allowed or not, personally I find it as a great mistake that persons who have access to the code explain how it works to us players.

While not all of may know me, those who do know that I'm mainly a powergamer, and I enjoy it greatly. I have spent countless hours having fun just experimenting with different weapons, armours, mood, aims, protect and so on, checking what worked the best and in which situations.

I believe that, if we continue answering questions about the code, there will be a day when someone will write a post saying:

"The perfect two-handed build"

What would come next is a text full of mathematical calculations and you know the rest.

I think, if someone wants to know if agility affects combat speed and how much, it is as easy as asking a fellow halfling, tshahark and dwarf friend to spar at Arborea, then go to tundra and do the same, then maybe build some heavy armours and do it again...

tessa
Overlord

#9 Post by tessa » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:31 am

Without sounding redundant, Zengo and Jezz pretty much said the same thing I was thinking each time I checked this thread out. Some things are more fun to learn through personal experimentation (and keeping the knowledge to yourself to use against others) than openly explaining.

Delia
Overlord

#10 Post by Delia » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:11 am

Most of the things in Geas follow common sense quite strongly, I think that is the best answer one can receive, ultimately. The rest will follow.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Delmon
Champion

#11 Post by Delmon » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:06 pm

The only reason I would ask these questions is clarity to a theory which has come from trial and error. It seems to me that defend works better with a weapon and moods like aggressive are better for more dodging. That seems odd to me. :D

ramandu
Professional

#12 Post by ramandu » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:42 pm

Delmon wrote:It seems to me that defend works better with a weapon and moods like aggressive are better for more dodging. That seems odd to me. :D
I would guess that what works best for each character would be different. I agree with poJezz that experimentation is the best part of the game. My next comments are purely common sense and have no bearing on what actually does or does not occur in the game. I would imagine parry is a defense that would favor stronger characters and as dodge would seem to favor more agile characters. I would also assume that if you were in a frenzy to attack, every weapon stroke would be aimed at your opponent and not at parrying the blows that are levied against you. In a frenzy to attack, dodging and deflecting and ignoring your enemies blows would be the best defense that you would muster.

I like to think of the fights between a Darkelf and a Tshahark similar to the one between Rob Roy and the poof he fought at the end of the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaslN1NiT0

But some of the fights Ram has been a part of have ended less well for him.

Ram
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.