Apprenticeship/Mentoring

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Elorion

Apprenticeship/Mentoring

#1 Post by Elorion » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:12 am

I know in some MUDs, apprenticeship or mentor systems are sometimes used to help get new players involved and familiarized with the setting. I didn't see anything like that mentioned in the help files, but I was wondering if such a thing was allowed. And if so, if anyone was interested in helping a new player get their feet wet.

This is my third attempt at starting Geas and both previous times, I lost interest because it was difficult to get involved - I spent way too much time off on my own soloing, getting terribly lost, running into creatures far beyond my ability, so on. Also, it's hard to build up a credible character history when I know so little about the game's history and recent history.

So I was wondering if there were someone willing to take up a character as a sidekick, apprentice, understudy or such, so that I could have the ready advice of a more experienced player, as well as more involvement with someone besides NPCs. Assuming this was considered acceptable metagaming.

I understand that by having such a relationship with another character, their problems would become my character's problems, and my character would likely get swept up into whatever is going on - I see that as a good thing. Also, being the minor/lesser in the relationship, I fully expect and accept reasonable orders, 'chores' or whatnot. I'd even accept a full on slave role, so long as it was handled well and gave me time to pursue my own interests.

I have a strong preference for an elf, melee-oriented character (Ranger and Shaolin both interest me greatly), but I'm fairly open at this point so long as I can avoid playing one of the outright-evils(for a first character. Mages also greatly interest me, but I gather those are few and far between by design. Anyone up for a young nephew or the son of a close friend who needs guidance? A young guildmember who idolizes and obeys? A thrall to be shaped and made useful?

gojin
Master

Re: Apprenticeship/Mentoring

#2 Post by gojin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:29 am

My char is always willing to teach/influence younger chars. Of course certain race/philosophy conditions exist.

Elorion

#3 Post by Elorion » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:33 am

Do tell? A private message would do, if you'd rather. I'm going to wait a day or two and see who replies, try to find out which character type I could put together for the various mentor characters is most appealing to me.

vurdijak
Hero

#4 Post by vurdijak » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:45 am

I will be happy to answer any questions you have that are not IC by email. I won't give away secrets to the game, but I have played for a while and will happily give you advice. My email is:

kevinbailey444@hotmail.com

As for the mentoring thing IC, my play is much too eratic to promise anything.

If any other players want to contact me at some point, this is the way to do it. I think it would be interesting to get emails from some of the people who I have traded ideas and criticisms with over the years.

Zengo
Professional

#5 Post by Zengo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:49 am

If a Ranger/Shaolin/Mage interests you........I think the best idea would be to find one IC and talk to them. I see all three of those guilds showing you some help if you need it.

You can stand around at one of the common meeting grounds and talk to whomever you meet, explain the situation to them. They can easily call for one of the three to meet you perhaps.

One of the reasons I mention this, is because if you get "involved" with the wrong people ICly that teach you things, it could be very hard to join one of those organizations/groups.

Elorion

#6 Post by Elorion » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:33 am

So here I am, seven years later. I've left, returned, left again, returned again. I'm continually fascinated by the setting and the game engine, but perpetually frustrated by the difficulty of making contact with people and getting involved. I think the last time I left it was because I couldn't locate a Shao-Lin so that I could join. I should probably have more patience, but there comes a point when I feel like my time is better spent not being frustrated.

This isn't whine post. This is me trying to get back into the game.

Once more into the breech.

Olrane
Champion

#7 Post by Olrane » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:55 am

Hello friend, and welcome back!

Are you still interested in Shaolin? As I understand, there is a system to allow newbies to join even if another master is not active. Ask around...I know of 3 active Shaolin off the top of my head.

This game is VERY quiet right now. Population numbers fluctuate a lot throughout the year...using the who command can help you attune to the realistic population, just make sure that you're not using it to drive your character's path during a particular session.

I'm happy to maintain a discussion OOCly and I know of multiple newbie-friendly characters currently making the rounds.

Arsicas
Master

#8 Post by Arsicas » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:27 am

I've seen a number of characters take on apprentices, so to speak, or at least help people interested in the guild they are a part of. It's probably easier with the more well-populated guilds. For instance, there are only two active or semi-active mages I know of currently, but the cleric guilds always seem well represented. It can be a bit frustrating when you can't find the people you need or if they play on a different schedule than you. I feel like there are more people playing now than before I took a break for a while, although that could also depend on the time of day I play. I notice there are more people on during the afternoon US time as opposed to late at night. I would suggest just asking around IC to see who you need to get in touch with.
Duncan hisses in Common: love not keepzss zssomeone alive
You speak softly in Common: Sometimes it's all that keeps one
alive.
You smile slightly.

ferranifer
Champion

#9 Post by ferranifer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:27 am

I play Koschei, one of the few active Mages and Masterscribes. My playtime is quite limited these days, but I do show up every day and I do check my mudmail and forum mail on a daily basis. So, if you're interested on the "mage path" or simply want to be a Scribe, poke me.

If you have sent me mail in game and I haven't answered it's more likely that I don't want to answer than that I haven't seen it, though sometimes I do get busy.

I am in the EU zone so you'll find me during US afternoons/evenings. As far as I know there are no US-time "erudite" characters. I'm more than willing to mentor/train someone in the US-zone to take that role if someone is willing. Also, if you have questions related with being a Mage or how to become one, feel free to use one of the forum threads created to that effect or simply mail me.

Elorion

#10 Post by Elorion » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:39 am

I'm still very much interested in the Shaolin, but before I lock him into one particular occupational guild I'd like for him to see a bit more of the world. I envision my character being something of a teacher/mentor himself, but I want to know more about the setting, system and the world in general before attempting such a thing. Unfortunately, most of the world appears far too dangerous for him and I wonder how much of it is my lack of familiarity. Even now, several years and several character attempts later, there's still a lot of the basics that I'm not sure I understand well and am not very sure how to go about learning more. For example, I get the sense that my character isn't as strong in combat as he could/should be - he was kicked out of the thildens area but was never strong enough to kill them all before they started respawning. How do you begin to ask random strangers about things like that, in-character?

luminier
Overlord

#11 Post by luminier » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:52 am

being a "good" melee fighter depends a lot on your race, skill choices and stat prefs. if you are an elf that uses whips and focuses points mainly in dex and int, you won't be a "good" melee fighter. if you are a tshahark with a huge weapon and all strength, thildens will be inconsequential.

you can make a "good" shaolin with pretty much any race which is something I've always admired about the guild.

some skills to focus on as a shaolin trainee, kick, punch, unarmed combat, meditate and staff/disarm. that will probably make your life much easier when you join the guild itself. wargloves help a lot for combat training as well. of course this is all VERY cookie cutter. if you are looking to be different and unique, don't follow my advice and have fun doing whatever you like and what makes you happy. in the end, making yourself happy with your character will be what makes you stay.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Elorion

#12 Post by Elorion » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:21 am

There's something about this game.

Here I am, fifteen-ish years later from my first time playing, trying again. Still getting lost. Still wandering into creatures way beyond my ability.

I think I spend half my time re-reading help files, to remember the commands I've forgotten since the last go-around.

Israfel
Veteran

#13 Post by Israfel » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:06 am

Welcome back. Hopefully some of the updates to the game in recent years have softened the learning curve a bit. If getting lost is a particular issue there are mapping systems around now - One for Mushclient (check the thread at: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2690) and potentially another coming soon for Mudlet. We also seem to have quite a few active players and helpers these days too, with the who list count hovering around 90-ish characters active lately.