Statistics

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

ganandorf
Overlord

Statistics

#1 Post by ganandorf » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:30 pm

So i have a few questions about how stats work I think most of them are pretty OOC and not very character specific.
Now my first question, besides Doing quests, what are other ways to improve your stats?
And whatever those ways may be, do they improve all stats or just a certain one?(for example ive heard killing things and general training improves stats, Besides recovery from a death i havent seen very much of this)

And lastly does skill improves, depend on stats. For example if someone has reached the highest wisdome level they can (without doing more quest), will their skills stop improving, or will they just improve much slower. Basically what is the correlation between skills and stats
Meow

tessa
Overlord

Re: Statistics

#2 Post by tessa » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:01 pm

You improve stats by gaining exp. This is primarily done by improving skills, but you can also get boosts from quests, and small raises from combat (I believe the formula of xp for chars was 3/6 skill exp, 2/6 quest exp, and 1/6 combat xp).

Skills will improve the stats that they're related to. In other words, physical skills will improve physical stats, and mental skills will improve mental stats.

Skill improve rate is determined by your area focus and your overall skill total. In other words, if your area focus is combat skills, you'll improve combat skills easier, and mental skills slower. Or, if you focus on mental skills, they'll improve easier, and combat skills will go slower. Also, the more knowledge you have, the harder it'll be to try to learn new things on top of all the other things you're trying to remember.

How stats may or may not affect skill rates, I don't know. I have theories, but I'll be mean and keep them to myself. There's rumours about how a certain stat supposedly helps skills improve at faster paces, but it's never been something I've believed, and I have yet to notice any difference when testing it.

ganandorf
Overlord

#3 Post by ganandorf » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:04 pm

The one thing that confuses me is this
"Wisdom is your character's ability to learn and comprehend,
to profit from experience. This is used for a variety of
tasks like learning languages and mining. Your current
wisdom score can be seen using the 'stats' command."

In the help files it says that wisdom is your characters ability to learn and comprehend to profit from experience, would that include combat things as well?
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#4 Post by tessa » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:41 pm

I'm definitely not an expert on what stats specifically do, and I'm not sure if they're meant to be dissected thoroughly, so I'll probably leave an admin (*looks at anglachel*) to answer that.

ganandorf
Overlord

#5 Post by ganandorf » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:50 pm

okie doke
Meow

anglachel
Site Admin

#6 Post by anglachel » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:17 am

Every skills is assigned to several stats. If these stats are high you get a bonus if you use this skill. The combat skills base mostly on the body-stats. For some of the combat specials also INT is needed.
For learning skills in general high INT and WIS give you a bonus.

ganandorf
Overlord

#7 Post by ganandorf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:08 am

Oh okay that helps.
And in regards to stats, besides doing quests what are other ways of increasing them? Wiould it be like doing the activities they correspond to, eg. fighting = strength, reading == wisdom
Meow

Delia
Overlord

#8 Post by Delia » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:11 am

It is VERY commonsensical and I think it has been discussed elsewhere on this forum already. Generally speaking swinging a sword around builds your muscles, reading books builds your brain.

I have one small silly question myself though...are there stats beyond ultimate? Like stat = ultimate +1 or is ultimate reaching the cap for the race in question in that attribute?
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Abharsair
Site Admin

#9 Post by Abharsair » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:20 pm

Delia wrote:I have one small silly question myself though...are there stats beyond ultimate? Like stat = ultimate +1 or is ultimate reaching the cap for the race in question in that attribute?
There's no cap for stats. "Ultimate" is just the final description.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

tessa
Overlord

#10 Post by tessa » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:00 pm

ganandorf wrote:And in regards to stats, besides doing quests what are other ways of increasing them?
I already explained that the first time you asked:
tessa wrote:You improve stats by gaining exp. This is primarily done by improving skills, but you can also get boosts from quests, and small raises from combat (I believe the formula of xp for chars was 3/6 skill exp, 2/6 quest exp, and 1/6 combat xp).

Skills will improve the stats that they're related to. In other words, physical skills will improve physical stats, and mental skills will improve mental stats.

ganandorf
Overlord

#11 Post by ganandorf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:14 pm

Oh whoops, i read that i dont know why i asked again. sorry
Meow