Weapon and Armour Smithing

Are you a Newbie and need some help? Or are you a seasoned player and have tips for newbies? Post here!

Moderator: Wizards

Boruk

Weapon and Armour Smithing

#1 Post by Boruk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:22 pm

Do player-character skills exist for creating metal armours and weapons?

I tried searching the forum, and looking through the help files before I posted, but did not find anything related (other then leather armours, and NPC smiths).

Naga
Hero

Re: Weapon and Armour Smithing

#2 Post by Naga » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:42 pm

Short answer: no.

Long answer: yes.

SKILL: smithing SKILL: 0 KNOWLEDGE: 1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Info for this skill has to be written.

Skills exist, but they aren't implemented to the degree that they can be used to make anything in any real sense.

tessa
Overlord

#3 Post by tessa » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:49 pm

Armour and weapon crafting skills are still being worked on. Some might work to some small degree, but by and large it's still 'under development'.

Boruk

#4 Post by Boruk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:13 am

Thank you both for your answers.

I was really hoping to have a "dwarven smith" character, but this presents it as more of a role-played persona then a code-supported in-game reality.

If you were working toward a "dwarven smith", how would you head towards it? Do you have any advice for me?

Herst
Master

#5 Post by Herst » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:39 am

I got a suggestion, but I am not sure it would work to well ;)

There is a dwarven smith in Elvandar. He makes custom armours and weapons.
To get the items from him, you have to give him materials and money etc.....

So, I was thinking you could advertise your business and get a customer base. You could order the weapons/armours from there, putting your own insignia on it (or perhaps not) then reselling it to the customers.
Now for roleplay reasons, and since you are the smith they are getting these from, you could probably do part or most of the designing yourself.

All of this depends on if your character has some type of morals though, because a lot of your business would come from people who refuse to enter that city, or who are criminals and are not allowed ;)

Getting the ores for the items is usually what annoys people mostly, so I am sure you could also get a customer base from those who can easily make coins and who do not feel like mining as well.

Just a thought, I hope it helps.

Delia
Overlord

#6 Post by Delia » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:00 am

Just found out there is a stub entry for 'prospecting' and 'refining' also.
Expect some good stuff to come out someday...

As for the smith character, you should spend time training both 'repair' and 'sharpening' as well. Atleast you can offer some services that way.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

triska
Veteran

#7 Post by triska » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:59 am

Deila said
As for the smith character, you should spend time training both 'repair' and 'sharpening' as well. Atleast you can offer some services that way
Triska has done that or is doing that but its taking forever. She has her sharpening at 98 now just 2 off being guru but yet the weapons are only random perfect since she got the skill to 90.

I had thought in my own naive way that once she got to 91 and saw her first perfectly sharpened weapon that it would be a ratio of perfects per level. Hopefully 1 in 10, 2 in 10 etc till 100 gave all pefects . It doesnt seem to be working this way she can sharpen 10 weapons and maybe get 1 perfect or even 0 perfects.

Repairing is a lot slower and totally not trustworthy to use on own or custom made items.
Laughter is the best gift to give anyone and its free!

Delia
Overlord

#8 Post by Delia » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:07 am

Delia has repair of 54 and average dex. It seems reliable enough. Raising the skill is a trial though given how equipment always is 'recently repaired'.

As for sharpening...I'd think with that level of skill one should see perfect sharpness bit more often.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Olrane
Champion

#9 Post by Olrane » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:40 pm

I actually don't think you can normally get a perfect edge until 100, except on a critical to finish. However, I think that it's a continuous scale, with 100 different levels of maximum sharpness, so even though you don't get a perfect edge, your version of ultimate sharpness is much better than mine, for instance, and is nearly perfect. So, since you get effectively the same thing, there's nothing to worry about.

Delmon
Champion

#10 Post by Delmon » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:55 pm

You can still get some deadly hits with very sharp... how many more levels are there??

How consequential is this sharpness skill? As of now there are no npc who will sharpen perfectly?

Probably an npc should sharpen in my opinion. Make it like the repair skill.

Olrane
Champion

#11 Post by Olrane » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:06 am

Sharpness is nice but I expect there's not that much of a difference between a pretty decently sharp blade and an incredibly sharp blade. I think the difference is amplified the bigger the weapon, so a perfectly sharpened lance or polearm should be devastating compared to a dull one, whereas a sharp knife will be nice but a dull knife will still be a knife.