The Old Times.

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

luminier
Overlord

The Old Times.

#1 Post by luminier » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:19 am

I was reading some old logs and because there are a few old players that still come around these forums every so often (Delia, Vurdijak), I was wondering, do you guys miss the old times when around 40 people were on at a time, and then was lots of great roleplaying and fighting?

It seems right now the MUD has lost so many good roleplayers and the wizards work (exclusively from Anglachel and Turian lately, from what I can tell) largely goes unnoticed and unthanked.

Maybe it's just me, but I miss the old times.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

rafael
Professional

Re: The Old Times.

#2 Post by rafael » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:43 am

I'm hoping it's just summer. You know, I heard you go out during it.

R

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:35 am

I have confidence Geas will blossom once more. What is needed is more bad guys and hopefully some more turf for those bad guys to play in. The undeniable attraction of conflict would eventually lure people back in. Probably when some of the new stuff comes available people will flock in also.

Personally I see new stuff almost weekly(and I am thankful for the hard work you wizzez do!) so it keeps up my interest rather nicely, but yea, those were the good times. Perhaps writing some new reviews might help? Not the "Yea this game is the best!" kind which offer little substance apart from glorifying the game but one that would honestly discuss the virtues and flaws of the game and just might attract a player or two to see for themselves.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Damanta
Veteran

#4 Post by Damanta » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:26 am

I usually try to bring as many people into any good MUD I play, and have been trying to do so with Geas but I'm finding it difficult. It is true that it is a little more complicated than most MUDs and its hard to get into. Any advice on helping people ease into Geas and making them want to stick around?
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

vurdijak
Hero

#5 Post by vurdijak » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:52 am

The old times should be chronicled in some kind of IC text as a 'golden age' or 'time of trial' depending on the author. But those old times have left a mark on the game that has enriched it. Sure I miss them, but hey, more are coming. As Delia pointed out the mud is developing. This development and players logging in are the two main ways to battle stagnation of any mud. More players are sure to come along. My opinion is that the hard part is keeping them around, which sort of leads into Damantas question about getting friends to hang around.

Damanta, I have had some of the same troubles as you. Firstly, it takes a special breed to play a text based mud with all the glamorous mind numbing first person shooters out there that are sucking minds like an illithid. Most of the 13 and 14 year olds that should be learning the ropes on Geas are playing Rock Band and listening to Paramore.

Of my friends that I've introduced to the mud, a few stuck around and made a mark. The ones that stayed:
a. Had mudded before
b. Have a healthy love of fantasy
c. Were not afraid to ask me or the newbie channel for help on commands, since many of them are not self evident

luminier
Overlord

#6 Post by luminier » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:40 pm

rafael wrote:I'm hoping it's just summer. You know, I heard you go out during it.

R
I didn't know summer lasted from February to Late August months. It's been pretty quiet since then. And before then it wasn't as busy as it was when I first started in May 07 or something.

For me the big thing is being patient. Maybe one day we'll have quite a few players on at once but it just doesn't seem in sight right now. No to mention myself trying to help the wizards out and them not responding =(.

Sairina
Hero

#7 Post by Sairina » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:10 am

I guess there's reasons why new stuff goes unnoticed. One would be that there's been no updates on the news page since january, and that was the yearbook, the last bugfix announced there was in 2008.
If I was a new player intending to check out a mud, I would look at the news page first, to see if it's alive and growing. If there are indeed changes made weekly, they should be announced on the webpage as they used to be. As it appears now, I would probably not have been encouraged if I was a new player. Same goes for the forum - if the only active thread is named "The old times"... well, that says all, doesn't it?

luminier
Overlord

#8 Post by luminier » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:59 am

Ya, didn't really think about that, my bad.

Sairina
Hero

#9 Post by Sairina » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:14 am

Didn't mean to scold you, we all miss the old times ;)
Although it would appear to me that there's at least a little more people in the game lately than for a while, so let's hope it's a trend.

Delmon
Champion

#10 Post by Delmon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:45 pm

old times!? we have a good avg 17 nowadays. and The new characters are all played well...
Last edited by Delmon on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delia
Overlord

#11 Post by Delia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:58 am

Most if not all of the new stuff I wrote about concerns the magic system. Bug/typo hunting, ideas for tweaks, spells, features and all that fluff are implemented little by little. Granted, it can be rather invisible for non-mages, but there is constant progress nevertheless.

Grindel
Veteran

#12 Post by Grindel » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:07 pm

Granted, it can be rather invisible for non-mages, but there is constant progress nevertheless.
And that's perfectly fine! But Sairina's got a point. The news pages should show progress or at least activity. I too read the forum and the news before deciding to take a look at the game; I think many do.

Delmon
Champion

#13 Post by Delmon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:31 pm

same

krelji
Hero

#14 Post by krelji » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:40 pm

I usually log into the game because I want to be playing. I am reading the news and
the forums while playing usually, and certainly it won't influence my motivation to
play.
Grindel wrote:The news pages should show progress or at least activity. I too read the forum and the news before deciding to take a look at the game; I think many do.
Perhaps I'll research a spell to turn Grindels into frogs next, and ask Turian to add
a newsitem regarding it when it's done :).
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Grindel
Veteran

#15 Post by Grindel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:18 am

I usually log into the game because I want to be playing. I am reading the news and the forums while playing usually, and certainly it won't influence my motivation to play.
I was referring to new players who might want to know how active a game is before trying it out.
But, yea, do the frog thingy, it might even be fun. :D

krelji
Hero

#16 Post by krelji » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:24 am

I'll do it once my char developed a sense of humour.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Delia
Overlord

#17 Post by Delia » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:49 am

I don't think a sense of humour is mandatory for that, just count it as a vital experiment ;) (recalls D pondering how acutely tshaharks feel cold, poor Mogwai)

caelia
Professional

#18 Post by caelia » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:34 am

I did not have the fortune of playing during "the old times." From my knowledge of things, I don't think I missed it by too much, but it's always been amazing to me how certain characters are still shaping the game, despite their absence. I've invited a few comparisons to Tatiana myself (we never met), and I frequently find myself wondering what sort of mark I'll leave on Geas, and whether Sathonites down the road will tell their younglings of the great and terrible Caelia and all the awful things she did. :) While I would have liked to meet some of these players, and I'm sure I would have enjoyed playing with them, I can say that I'm immensely grateful for their efforts, and I think that those of you who do remember them will agree with me that they have given us a great legacy upon which we can build. Those of you who have stuck around from the old times (and this includes you too, wizards) have been quite invaluable to me as Caelia tries to wear the various mantles which have been passed on to her.

On the whole, I've taken their absence as a challenge to step up and play with lots of heart, and I believe that many of you have done so as well. (I won't name names, for fear of insulting anyone through omission). :) I don't have any illusions that you are all absolutely thrilled with the job Caelia does, but I do want to promise you all that, for the foreseeable future, I'll do my part. I really do enjoy my time here, and I maintain my belief that nobody roleplays as well as you all do.

I share Delia's optimism. I think there is room here for sufficiently-motivated players, even young ones, to shape events here, and my continued presence is, in part, a vote of confidence in all of you.

luminier
Overlord

#19 Post by luminier » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:10 pm

Heh, I miss the old guys, but Luminier really doesn't like many of them, they drove his one true love away!

I started playing right at the tail end of when people started to kiss off and say goodbye which was pretty unfortunate. A series of bad things happened OOC and IC and just alot of people ended up leaving.

It is really too bad though. All the oldies did leave a positive impression on the game and really had their characters well fleshed out. It was a real shame to lose them.

Delmon
Champion

#20 Post by Delmon » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:51 am

Luminier, when did you join, and is luminier your first? Did you come in before ganon?