The Old Times.

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

luminier
Overlord

Re: The Old Times.

#21 Post by luminier » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:14 pm

Delmon wrote:Luminier, when did you join, and is luminier your first? Did you come in before ganon?
May 2007, Yes, and we came in at the same time, we are friends OOC and our friends OOC who play Rex and Delem got us to play. Ganon is an alt from poGanon's first character.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delmon
Champion

#22 Post by Delmon » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:20 am

30+ people today. Most ive ever seen is 32-4ish. :)

luminier
Overlord

#23 Post by luminier » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:19 am

Most I've seen is 44.

Not going to lie, it's been pretty ok lately.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

matusalem
Master

#24 Post by matusalem » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:42 am

I always seem to miss these times, I'm afraid. I came from a since defunct game where there were 50 to over 100 folks at a time. Lots of strangers. I sometimes miss that. (Though, the caliber of people on Geas is far and away better.)

lanyara
Overlord

#25 Post by lanyara » Sun May 09, 2010 5:22 am

I think one big problem - not easy to fix - is that playing certain roles is way too unattractive. Hence you don't see a lot of diversification in the game because people will fall into specific patterns and have a very hard time leaving them.
Best race: halflings.

isengoo
Champion

#26 Post by isengoo » Mon May 10, 2010 8:13 pm

I liked Jezz could walk around freely and interact with people at the crossing. That was fun :D

matusalem
Master

#27 Post by matusalem » Mon May 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Not to sully the nostalgic feelings people have about Geas when there was more social, non-conflict, interaction between the deathpriests and everyone else, but I like the delineation there is now. I came to Geas from a now defunct game where your so-called evil people would sit around in the center of town and crack wise and make jokes with anyone that happened by. It was all so counter to what their persona was suppose to be. In that game, people joined the "evil" religions because it was "cool" but were no different in their roleplay than those that joined the "good" religions. I know it's hard to for those bad guys to get ganged up on all the time. (In fact, a big group of us did just that not an hour ago...) but cannibalistic raisers of the dead don't make good neighbors and can't be tolerated in most situations. Besides, makes them more mysterious and scary this way.

Delmon
Champion

#28 Post by Delmon » Tue May 11, 2010 12:04 am

each new players has potential to add a lot to the game, no matter what role they take, whether we have 40 or 20 players active each day. that's one of the strengths of the game.

In terms of Jezz walking around, ok. now we have strong good guys. when an evil becomes strong enough they will be able to walk around too and talk.

If someone is interested in adding social aspects, create a warriors guild and invite an evil and call truces for the meetings.

isengoo
Champion

#29 Post by isengoo » Tue May 11, 2010 12:44 am

Nah, the patrols and watchtowers would put a stop to evils wandering around pretty quick.

Andreati
Master

#30 Post by Andreati » Tue May 11, 2010 1:08 am

I remember the good ol' days when Jezz would constantly complain about the leprosy stink spam. Or anybody who wasn't Jezz.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

isengoo
Champion

#31 Post by isengoo » Tue May 11, 2010 3:15 am

I hate the patrols and watchtowers and the Crusade.

Skragna
Champion

#32 Post by Skragna » Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 am

Since I've been trying to start a couple of non-strictly good aligned chars, I can see why people complain about the towers... They're EVERYWHERE... Was there really a time when you could freely stroll from Arborea to Elvandar without worrying about growing a crossbow bolt in the chest?

isengoo
Champion

#33 Post by isengoo » Tue May 11, 2010 6:07 am

Yes. It was wonderful.

arxthas
Hero

#34 Post by arxthas » Tue May 11, 2010 6:45 am

luminier wrote:It seems right now the MUD has lost so many good roleplayers and the wizards work (exclusively from Anglachel and Turian lately, from what I can tell) largely goes unnoticed and unthanked.
I'm one of these "old" players that played on and off since 2000. It is true that many good RP'ers were lost (as well as wizards). I think it is one of the greatest problems the MUD has to keep the more experienced people around. On the other hand, many things in the system has improved, as well as the general direction of the game. There were things back then that were much worse than they are now too.

What it really comes down to in the end, in terms of enjoyability, is what the players do on the MUD.

lanyara
Overlord

#35 Post by lanyara » Wed May 12, 2010 8:44 am

What it really comes down to in the end, in terms of enjoyability, is what the players do on the MUD.
The last sentence is interesting, because one could say I am one of those old players too, and one good question is ... what can you do compared to the old days? The way I see it right now is that playing an "evil" character is not very attractive at all. Even if you like endless PvP situations, the "good" side can throw more numbers at the problem. And not every evil char is automatically strong ...

You also can not easily "go back" - with the karma system you are easily evil. The court system is also extremely powerful, especially because of the NPCs.

I am curious which evil char will be very active in such a setup and environment ... :D

arxthas
Hero

#36 Post by arxthas » Wed May 12, 2010 9:43 am

What I meant was that what the players must do the bulk work. The MUD mechanics just set the framework, but the content must be added by the players. The mechanics will always, eventually, get old..

lanyara
Overlord

#37 Post by lanyara » Wed May 12, 2010 5:01 pm

*agrees*

hsparks
Journeyman

#38 Post by hsparks » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:29 pm

I feel like I've been around this game too long. It's been what, 6 years for me? Hsparks needs a walker and to yell at all the kids that run around him. Damn their MTV.
"If there truly is an evil in this world, it lies within the hearts of mankind."

Olrane
Champion

#39 Post by Olrane » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:00 pm

hsparks wrote:I feel like I've been around this game too long. It's been what, 6 years for me? Hsparks needs a walker and to yell at all the kids that run around him. Damn their MTV.
There are a lot more of us than you'd think still kicking around here. I've been playing since I think fall of '03, but I could be off by a year. Of course I don't even feel like I'm old here, it's just what newer players might think.

The few really old players who are still around never cease to impress me with their patience.

Andreati
Master

#40 Post by Andreati » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:19 am

Summer '05 was when I stuck, thanks to a few people. There's pros and cons to both past and present. The social aspect, both ooc and ic, was definitely better back when I started--and that was really cool. As the game moved forward though, much of that was lost, and replaced with some great rp and a better...plot line.

Eh, I don't mind. It's still a wicked awesome game.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.