Geas Admin.

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

vurdijak
Hero

Geas Admin.

#1 Post by vurdijak » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:46 pm

I have made many attempts over several months to contact an immortal regarding writing for the mud, and have received no response. I have been playing for about five years and have contributed by writing room descriptions on several occasions, so I am surprised that no one has taken a few minutes to capitalize on my request. I have attempted to contact Abharsair through his extra-Geas email, his forum messaging service, mudmail, by emailing admin@geas.de, and by talking to Chara in the game for a bit using OOC chat. Also, Anglachel, one of the few accessible imms these days, stated that he forwarded my request (a private message on the forum) to Abharsair over one month ago.

If I was the only one who wasn’t getting a response from the imms about writing, I would take that as a ‘hint’ and simply play the game. Unfortunately, I am not the only one who has had difficulty getting a response. My experience appears to be indicative of a larger, more pervasive problem. Other players on Geas can’t reach Abharsair, whose presence and accessibility will ultimately determine whether the mud evolves or stagnates. Abharsair, where are you?

Jalil
Beginner

Re: Geas Admin.

#2 Post by Jalil » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:53 pm

*bummed and missing the imms as well, wondering where they are...*

Hope everything is alright!

Delia
Overlord

#3 Post by Delia » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:41 pm

Hey, it is summer. Even they deserve to take a break :P
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

vurdijak
Hero

#4 Post by vurdijak » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:12 pm

If its just a break, then at least one of them should say so on this forum or respond to the numerous emails, mudmails and/or forum 'hints' directed to them from several players. Abharsair, Chara & Drake have all been contacted with zero response. In the game approx. one month ago, Chara herself asked me to mudmail Abharsair since my other attempts at reaching him had failed. I have a feeling Chara knows about Abhs summer schedule.

Besides, if its just a 'summer break' (that lasts upwards of 3 full months) why not put a note up right here, on the forum, and say, "Hey playerbase, I'm going to a remote island with no internet for a while. See you when I see you!"??

Ignoring the playerbase is a great way to lose players.

Delia
Overlord

#5 Post by Delia » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Just wait, be patient, continue to be polite about your impatience and eventually we'll hear about them. After all, we do not know the why's behind the mysterious disappearances. Let us just give it to them, they've worked their butt's off for this game already, as far as I'm concerned.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Kaseo
Journeyman

#6 Post by Kaseo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Yeah, I agree that we should be patient. If you really want something new though, I'd be willing to bet you could find something you've never seen before if you explore. Secret passages and other hidden goodies are located all over, I'm always amazed when I find something new.

I think now is a good time to say Thank You to all the wizzies who have made this MUD awesome. Where would we be without their Awesome?
"Luminier says deeply and quietly in Common: Enough with the
pleasantries
Luminier gives you a rough man hug."

caelia
Professional

#7 Post by caelia » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:23 pm

You get to be impatient with people in proportion to the amount of cash you're giving them... so, wizards, I'll be here when you get back. :wink:
Last edited by caelia on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ganandorf
Overlord

#8 Post by ganandorf » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:41 pm

I'm with poCaelia on this one. This is a FREE to play Game. We have no right to complain. The game runs fine without wizards, you dont need any of the extra perks they provide.
Meow

Delmon
Champion

#9 Post by Delmon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:43 pm

its about the progress of the game (long term issue), but thanks wizards and I agree, the game right now is amazing.

vurdijak
Hero

#10 Post by vurdijak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:55 am

Wrong. We have every right to 'complain'. Should we thank the wizzes for their efforts? Absolutely. A heart felt thank you. Though my criticism is passionate, it is also constructive.

1. An accessible administration is key to maintaining a mud, even a mud that already kicks ass and is free to play.
2. The forum is meant for lots of things, but it is especially meant for dialogue.
3. If dialogue can jumpstart the admin., and I am hopeful that it will, then that is a wonderful thing.

isengoo
Champion

#11 Post by isengoo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:26 am

Vurdijak, I'm sorry, but you are very stupid. You need to examine the definition of "right" again, because it's a two-way street. You have no "right" to complain because it is not incumbent upon you to play this game. They have no "duty" to act accordingly for the same reason. Every act both parties take is volitional and subject to change without reason.

Once again, please inform yourself of the facts before you reach a conclusion.

Sairina
Hero

#12 Post by Sairina » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:35 am

While I agree that we should be patient and polite, I don't see why we can't say that we miss the wizards - after all, it also means that their work is appreciated by the players, and saying that "the game works just fine without you" sounds a bit like "hey, we don't need you, just let us play and leave us alone" (of course I'm not saying that it was meant that way).
And while it's true that the game has a lot to offer without new content, on the long run it does create some stagnation. It doesn't encourage new players to start the game, there won't be any bugfixes, no more custom armour and weapons, no character descriptions for the newbies, no one to ban troublemakers. We're just worried about the game, because we love it, nothing wrong with that. And there's no problem with the wizards taking a break, even a long one, they certainly deserve it - it just would be nice to know that they do plan to be back sometime.

vurdijak
Hero

#13 Post by vurdijak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:24 am

Of course I dont mean god given right to play Geas. I am fully aware of the two-way open ended contract for a free mud. It would be better to term it as a responsibility. A responsibility and the courage to point things out when others are unaware or simply afraid. A responsibility to push for change if the status quo seems untenable.

Isengoo, first of all, that is uncalled for. I would report it to the imms who control the forum, but then this thread sort of makes that a neutured threat, does it not?

Secondly, did you ever report a bug? I have. Some of them were not bugs, but others were. Regardless, reporting them was not stupid. Isengoo, sometimes bugs are not coded 'bugs', but suggestions of a more general and abstact nature. Get it?

Sairina said it far nicer and better than I did, so thanks.

Did anyone other than Isengoo

Jalil
Beginner

#14 Post by Jalil » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:03 am

Sairina, Vurdijak and all others excluding isengoo...well said, and you have every right to voice your opinions and concerns.

I would also agree that what Isengoo said was uncalled, but I would say childish as well...and unfortunately it isn't the first post from him that I have read that flames or insults someone for stating their opinions or feelings about something...

ganandorf
Overlord

#15 Post by ganandorf » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:55 pm

Everyone has their own opinions. Of course you should voice your opinions, but i dont think arguing and complaining on the forum is going to get anything done,. unfortunately we're powerless in this situation.
Meow

vurdijak
Hero

#16 Post by vurdijak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:20 pm

If opening a thread on the forum is not the right path to take, then whats your solution Ganon? What method would you choose to 'complain'?

ganandorf
Overlord

#17 Post by ganandorf » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Opening a thread is definitely the way to go. But now that you've already done that theres not much else that can be done. I bet that players have already mailed the wizards within the game and perhaps on the forum, They're just not responding, So all you can do now is wait.
Meow

vurdijak
Hero

#18 Post by vurdijak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:12 pm

What about some of the others who have posted a lot here over the years. poTessa, you usually know whats going on IC and especially OOCly. Did you read this thread yet? The other imms who have been recently seen IG or successfully contacted, such as Anglachel and Turian (co-creator according to the wiki), any news?

isengoo
Champion

#19 Post by isengoo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:30 pm

My apologies for the insult. It was uncalled for. All I can say in my defense is that I was extremely intoxicated, but that of course isn't a great excuse.

Again, I am sorry.

vurdijak
Hero

#20 Post by vurdijak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:36 pm

No worries.