What are you reading?

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

Arwenth
Master

Re: What are you reading?

#41 Post by Arwenth » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:18 am

Damanta wrote:I knew it, I bloody knew it. There is a reason I haven't clicked on this thread yet. Crap now I'm going to spend a whole week reading, I think I'll try to finish the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series in a week.
You've still got to finish Watchmen...
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

Andreati
Master

#42 Post by Andreati » Mon May 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Recently:
  • Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch--I think Olrane originally mentioned it. Good book. Jealous of the man's upbringing.
    Alan Moore's 'From Hell'--about 'Jack the Ripper'
    Maus I and II, by Art Spiegelman--Well done book about a holocaust survivor. It's actually a comic book, where Jews are mice, Nazis are cats, Americans are dogs...
    The Wasp Factory, by Iain Banks--DID NOT SEE the ending coming on that one
Also, House of Leaves--possibly the weirdest shit I've ever read.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Avisa
Journeyman

#43 Post by Avisa » Tue May 24, 2011 12:23 pm

I just finished The Warded Man and Desert Spear.

Delia
Overlord

#44 Post by Delia » Tue May 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Currently tackling through that one. A hard read, in some ways. Disturbing and scary as well. A good read so far though, I must say.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Skragna
Champion

#45 Post by Skragna » Tue May 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Sagas of the Icelanders. Great big huge book filled with all kinds of awesome tales of real people.

Desiderea
Master

#46 Post by Desiderea » Tue May 24, 2011 5:27 pm

Just finished a class on Tolkien and the Oxford Inklings in which I read:

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
On Fairy-stories, Leaf by Niggle, and Farmer Giles of Ham by J.R.R. Tolkien
Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold by C.S. Lewis
Saving the Appearances: A Study in Idolatry by Owen Barfield
Various selections from Owen Barfield

lanyara
Overlord

#47 Post by lanyara » Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 am

The only author I still read as far as fantasy themes are concerned is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Feist

Names like Elvandar seem familiar ;-) but also names separated by - like Tar-Roctlu. (Reminds me of Ashen-Shugar, Alma-Lodaka, Draken-Korin, as if someone found some inspiration therein and applied a pattern to GEAS ... :P )

He is my favourite author by far, both for character development and world development (amazing that one person alone can be so creative).

In younger years I was a big fan of The Dragonlance novels http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragonlance_novels
Especially the characters developed by Margaret Weis were great http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Weis - Weis and Hickman really managed to create the best group of "classical" adventuring heroes ever!

If those two would still make the Dragonlance novels, I'd probably be reading them, but as is often the case with a new ownership and new, different authors, the original creativity just isn't reached anymore by far ... never change a great, successfull team! :(

Last but not least, I also used to be a big fan of a german author,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Hohlbein especially the Enwor Saga (sorry, link is only available in german ... http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enwor-Saga ) but also his bigger, single books.

The quorrl in Enwor are akin to tshaharks - big, strong reptilian humanoids ... :)
The two main characters in the books are an older teacher (swordmaster) and his younger, physically stronger companion.
Best race: halflings.

Andreati
Master

#48 Post by Andreati » Thu May 26, 2011 9:55 pm

Delia wrote:
Currently tackling through that one. A hard read, in some ways. Disturbing and scary as well. A good read so far though, I must say.
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's just very strange. His sister made an album based on the book, also strange.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Olrane
Champion

#49 Post by Olrane » Fri May 27, 2011 3:23 pm

I read House of Leaves a few years ago, it was fun.

Just started rereading A Song of Ice and Fire in part due to the television series but more importantly due to the fact that book five is actually done and soon due for release. Hells yeah!

ganandorf
Overlord

#50 Post by ganandorf » Fri May 27, 2011 4:39 pm

July 11th if i remember right. The 4th book was centered around a bunch of characters I don't care for, and sideplots, the 5th book goes back to the characters that I do like, and it will be epic.

Also the TV show is pretty entertaining to watch, it would be much better if I had not read the books first and knew how every character ends up.
Meow

Delmon
Champion

#51 Post by Delmon » Fri May 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Just started rereading A Song of Ice and Fire
haha same here Olrane. Just got done with Game of Thrones. The ending chapters were more epic than I remembered!