What are you reading?

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

luminier
Overlord

Re: What are you reading?

#21 Post by luminier » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:38 pm

well done krelji, but thats beyond my level of understanding.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Arwenth
Master

#22 Post by Arwenth » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:30 pm

krelji wrote:
luminier wrote:alright so apparently -no one- likes science. well science hates you.
Guess I should rename myself to -no one- in this case. I actually enjoy
reading books about physics and astrophysics, as well as reading papers on
arXiv.org.
Ooooo. Thanks for that link. The Quantitative Biology section caught my eye and I've now added 'An Epidemiological Approach to the Spread of Political Third Parties' to my reading list. I'll probably avoid the physics though. I'm more so into Biology/Anatomy/Chemistry/ect. After all I'm going into Forensics...
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

Andreati
Master

#23 Post by Andreati » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:32 am

matusalem wrote:"The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane" by Robert E. Howard.

Nice!!! I just finished this about 4 days ago!!! N'longa is my hero.

Dresden was amazing--I think I got to Summer Knight before life caught up with me.

My current reads are:
Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges (in spanish)
La Fiesta del Chivo by Mario something Llosa (spanish)
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

luminier
Overlord

#24 Post by luminier » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:47 pm

My friend read House of Leaves, that book looks weird.

Olrane
Champion

#25 Post by Olrane » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:02 pm

luminier wrote:My friend read House of Leaves, that book looks weird.
What a fun book! The trick to really enjoying it is to occasionally make notes in the margin as you read it. Then, pass the book along to the next reader. Eventually you'll have a book so cluttered with personality that it's worth far more than you paid for it.

lanyara
Overlord

#26 Post by lanyara » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:59 pm

The only fantasy novel author I still do follow is Raymond Feist, so in a way that's me saying that he is also my favourite author (of that genre). For some reason his stories did not really get boring at all.
Best race: halflings.

triska
Veteran

#27 Post by triska » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:59 am

I have read most of the following authors.
Feist
Brooks
Julian May
Tolkien
Stephen R. Donaldson
and more I forgot

I just finished reading the Series Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind , an excellent series which I find when reaching the USA on vacation is a tv series which i have been able to watch on the computer until I caught up with the new series two which is being televised. Very good reading and a good tv series based on the books but recommend you read the books first to get the true facts.

I then went onto read the series The Wheel of Time. Great Series but sad the author died after completing book eleven but good to hear his wife and friends are finishing the series by 2011 working from his notes and thier own conclusions... I see another good tv series following the Seeker coming from this.

One Curious thing too , I find it fascinating that how many players from xyllomer and geas have adopted names found in the Wheel of time Series.
Laughter is the best gift to give anyone and its free!

Arwenth
Master

#28 Post by Arwenth » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:43 pm

triska wrote: I then went onto read the series The Wheel of Time. Great Series but sad the author died after completing book eleven but good to hear his wife and friends are finishing the series by 2011 working from his notes and thier own conclusions... I see another good tv series following the Seeker coming from this.

One Curious thing too , I find it fascinating that how many players from xyllomer and geas have adopted names found in the Wheel of time Series.
I have never really read or heard of the wheel of time series. What's it about? If you can answer that without giving too much of it away that is
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

Minariel
Journeyman

#29 Post by Minariel » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:48 pm

WoT in 30(ish) seconds
Magic is drawn from the one true source. Men who wield magic eventually go crazy, so are hunted down. Women who use magic are almost universally feared and hated. Long ago, this wasn't the case.

The Dark One was breaking free once before. Might be doing so again. Mages stood up to him. One very powerful male mage died sealing the Dark One again. Legends say he'll be reborn.

That might be an over simplification.

The books are very well written, and the story and concept drew me in. I did happen to lose interest around the seventh book, for reasons I won't discuss on a public forum for fear of spoiler haters.

triska
Veteran

#30 Post by triska » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:20 am

I think Minariel summed it up very well. Persevere with the reading past book 7 fall in love with one of the three 'hero's and play at being an author like I have tried to do imagining how the series will finish.

Well worth the read. Author Robert Jordan if you want to research more.
Laughter is the best gift to give anyone and its free!

Arwenth
Master

#31 Post by Arwenth » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks to my English class this semester, I'm now reading 'The Watchmen'...Definitely a new addition to my list of favorite books.

luminier
Overlord

#32 Post by luminier » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:35 am

Alan Moore rules.

Andreati
Master

#33 Post by Andreati » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:52 am

The Watchmen movie definitely did not do the book justice, but I cannot say that I expected it to. There's just too much in the book. But the lack of a giant squidalien (one word) in the movie really was what ruined it for me.

Side Note: I really liked the V for Vendetta Moore did.

Reading through Bradbury again, currently at the Illustrated Man. Also have Sense, Sensibility and Sea Monsters open.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

luminier
Overlord

#34 Post by luminier » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:45 am

Iunno I honestly thought the ending in the movie made more sense. Pitting the whole world against Dr Manhattan instead of some squid monster makes a lot more sense.

It's also a more controllable outcome. Dr. Manhattan can come back at any time to eff shit up and unite the world again. Squid monsters can't, unless Veidt has an unlimited supply of squid monster.

Im just saying.

Arwenth
Master

#35 Post by Arwenth » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:57 pm

On an unrelated side note...Alan Moore is how I kinda envision Matusalem to look....

luminier
Overlord

#36 Post by luminier » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Oh man I lol'd

ganandorf
Overlord

#37 Post by ganandorf » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Bought an ebook reader. Got a huge range of sci fi and fantasy books on the stack.

Right now, the George RR Martin series, and the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
Meow

matusalem
Master

#38 Post by matusalem » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:52 am

Arwenth wrote:On an unrelated side note...Alan Moore is how I kinda envision Matusalem to look....
Yes. Exactly like Alan Moore.

Delmon
Champion

#39 Post by Delmon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:39 pm

what am i reading:

textbooks.

Damanta
Veteran

#40 Post by Damanta » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:17 am

I knew it, I bloody knew it. There is a reason I haven't clicked on this thread yet. Crap now I'm going to spend a whole week reading, I think I'll try to finish the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series in a week.
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain