Where in the heck

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

Drake
Wizard

Where in the heck

#1 Post by Drake » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:26 am

did you get your wizard/mortal name?

Well Drake I got from a Anne McCaffrey novel, he's a side character, semi-regular in one of her books but really a minor character.

And well, Abharsair promoted me at short notice and I couldn't think of anything else.

Then I was happy, cause I thought of Drake the Snake.
Evil in Training.
Gods middle finger.

jaizel

#2 Post by jaizel » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:54 am

I got a long list of names from the times when I used to be a
Rolemaster GM. If I'm in need of a new name I simply pick
a fitting name from that list.

tessa
Overlord

#3 Post by tessa » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:00 am

I usually pick my names out of random. Sometimes I randomly make them up, other times I find a name that caught my eye and I later use it.

Tessa, I made up on my own, only to later find out it's an actual name.

anglachel
Site Admin

#4 Post by anglachel » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:04 am

I use in mud the same anems i use in severel pen and paper
roleplay games (Midgard, Warhammer, Ad&D, Murgel, Pendragon,
Paranoia, TMNT, Cthulhu, Cyperpunk, Traveller, Ringworld)
Ok, some of them are SF so that names will not fit in fantasy
based mud.

stilgar
Champion

#5 Post by stilgar » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:33 am

Free association.. I looked into my wife's eyes. They are soo deep blue :lol:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

jezz
Hero

#6 Post by jezz » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:52 am

Jezz came from a pic I felt in love with. It's easy to find if you to google and type in the search "Jezz the lame"

For the rest of chars I used the name generator in Geas ;)

pennywise
Wizard

#7 Post by pennywise » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:51 am

Well, where Pennywise comes from is common knowledge, my in game character names I invented myself or at least I think I do, maybe I just dig them up from deep within my brain while I heared them elsewhere before. And although I have a really bad feeling finding a new name for a new char every time I am pretty proud of a few of my inventions.
Calarandir is my favourite.

valder
Professional

#8 Post by valder » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:41 pm

I started using Valder as my default fantasy alter ego around the age of 12, after first reading The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans, who also wrote the Obsidian Chronicles (which I believe are fairly popular in Germany?).

Valder in the book is a scout, a soldier, an assassin, and finally an immortal innkeeper. Valder in Kentucky, U.S.A. is the leader of Rochdôr, a chapter of the medieval foam combat group, Belegarth. Valder in Geas is a thrice-enbalmed errand boy with a penchant for straying off the beaten path.
Valder of the Hundred Graves
Naarvedi Tramp

Dekhan
Beginner

#9 Post by Dekhan » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:44 pm

I stole my name from a book by David Eddings called The Redemption of Athalus. Dekhan is some king in the story... he doesnt play a very big role for a king. But I thought it was quite neat and so stole it. :D
Deranged but fun!

Kortha
Master

#10 Post by Kortha » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:31 pm

I just make mine up out of thin air. One of them came from a story I wanted to write as a teenager but never got around to doing. I think I thought up Kortha while I was in the shower, heh. I'm always very picky about my names...they have to fit the personality of my char in some way I can't really explain, so usually the concept comes before the name.
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.

Allalltar
Master

#11 Post by Allalltar » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:18 pm

hmm... let me think.
allalltar cames from alatar who is one of the five istari from J. R. R. Tolkiens Lord Of The Rings, to be more precise from the stories before the happenings of The lord of the rings and the hobbit. The book was called the Silmarillion (keep spelling errors if you find them). Well the change from alatar to allalltar is easy ... just give it 3 'l' letters more... (i hadn't the book at hand as i created him... ;-) )

valder
Professional

#12 Post by valder » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:00 pm

Nice to have one of the Istari around. Who needs MUD wizards when you can have Maiar?

I've always been curious what happened to your "friend", Pallallando.

8)
Valder of the Hundred Graves
Naarvedi Tramp

Josephus
Beginner

#13 Post by Josephus » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:25 am

Well, seeing as my char has three illustrious names to choose from, I think I'll detail all of them. The first is Josephus, after the famous Jewish/Roman historian. Maltro is from the Esperanto adverb which means 'too little' or 'not enough' (perfect name for a halfling, in other words). Pigdoggerel is the mingling of two words, the old German curse 'pigdog' and the word for broken rhyme, 'doggerel'. I thought it was witty, myself.
I wonder what this button does...

chath
Experienced

geas of coruse

#14 Post by chath » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:36 pm

From geas name generator ... where else?

genesis
Wizard

Names? What names?

#15 Post by genesis » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:28 pm

To begin with, my first mortal name was the name of a group I was the leader of, also the second book of Moses in Latin. As I was promoted, I simply came up with Genesis, being the first book of Moses.

My current main alias in the internet is a 1) Roman (or was it Greek?) god, 2) A common fantasy name and 3) A biblical working companion of St. Paul.

My current main character's name is comes from the Olympics. The winner's crowned with this crown, at least was in the Ancient Era, I think. I derived the name originally from a Finnish woman's name.
Genesis the ideaSpawner

Delia
Overlord

#16 Post by Delia » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:14 pm

I pretty much tried to type random letters...end serult was something I recognized being a real life name later on.

korsario
Experienced

#17 Post by korsario » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:23 pm

Well, picked Korsario due to inertia... had been my first nick in a spanish mud, and used it in a few more muds. And about the origin... *chuckle* korsario = corsario = corsair in spanish. Not that it fix with Geas's kors :)

shannon
Wizard

#18 Post by shannon » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:45 am

it's hidden in the past... :>

Abharsair
Site Admin

#19 Post by Abharsair » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:21 am

"Shannon" was my very first character's first crush (in another mud) after "she" helped him out when he was a newbie. That romance was quickly over when he actually looked at "her" and noticed it was a guy. What a bastardly thing to pick a girl's name. :D
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

hsparks
Journeyman

#20 Post by hsparks » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:11 am

Bwahahaha. My name in GEAS... Hsparks.

I suppose I should begin with how to pronounce it since people used to always ask me. You know the truth? I really don't know. Honestly I don't. I made the character back when my thought process was none other than that of a moron. So you can imagine that wasn't ... a great choice. Either way I thought that was my login name and not my character's name... and when I joined GEAS I didn't think I was going to be addicted to it for so long.

So back the the pronounciation... Disturbingly enough... its H...Sparks. You say the H like the letter and its english. Not "hache-sparks" in spanish or something. :P But since almost everyone calls me Sparky it doesn't matter either way.

Now the name... yes... the name came from well... Sparks is my last name. And H is ... something, I'm not sure. It just is. So yeah, either way that's exactly where I got the name... because I was uncreative and such. I've talked with people about changing it but people don't want me to for some reason. So I've made up an IC thing if anyone asks me about it. So if you're interested just ask me.

I'm not sure why I chose the name though... its very odd. In fact I don't know where my last name came from ... considering my great grandparents who came over from Germany to America's last names were Albright... So I don't really know how it changed to sparks considering they were on my dad's side. Unless... yeah... There are alot of things about names I don't know. So one thing is sure... NEVER ASK ME TO NAME YOUR BABY.
"If there truly is an evil in this world, it lies within the hearts of mankind."