Where in the heck

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

Andreati
Master

#21 Post by Andreati » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:21 am

Let's see...

Andy's first name is Andreati

Andre in French..or Latin, means manly, or manlike; and I added 'ati' to make the name more feminine. You've got to admit, it's a pretty good fit :D
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Delmon
Champion

#22 Post by Delmon » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:23 pm

Delmon. Easy. Del- then -mon. Delmon!

I don't know where it came from. :?

Andreati
Master

#23 Post by Andreati » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Since I apparently forgot:

Andy -- Ann-Dee
Andreati -- Ahn-Dre-Ah-Shee
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

ganandorf
Overlord

#24 Post by ganandorf » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:28 pm

Ganon
pronounced GAAAA-NON
taken from zelda of course
Meow

caelia
Professional

Re: Where in the heck

#25 Post by caelia » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:28 pm

I thought it might be fun to revive this topic, since the last update was a while ago and I'm curious about it every now and then. :)

I didn't get "Caelia" from anywhere in particular; it is an actual (although seemingly rare) name, derived from the Latin word for "heaven", caelus. She was my first character, and when I created her I had no idea of her eventual role, fitting as the name might be for it. :)

For the curious, I intended the classical pronunciation, KAY-lee-uh, not the ecclesiastical "CHAY-lee-uh."

(And yes, I am seeking help for my Latin addiction, thank you. :P)

Her surname, "Sellidan," is something I made up, to discover later that according to ancestry.com, I stole it from some poor family in New York. I didn't use it for her (and I'm not sure I even bothered to think of it) until she became deputy judge of Elvandar, at which point I decided that it would be nice and official-sounding for her to have a surname.

luminier
Overlord

#26 Post by luminier » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:29 pm

When I first started geas I didn't put much thought in a name. I used names that weren't actual names. Luminier is a name that I took from a game I used to play. The name wasn't actually someones name but it was a class you could be in that RPG. I also choose it because Lumin- reminds me of "illuminate" and the -ier part i thought would mean that he does that. So when put together I was thinking like "I illuminate" and I am sure most of us know that means "to brighten with light" and given his job I thought it would be kinda cool.

Since it wasn't an actual name I semi roleplayed it by telling most people who asked that it was just an alias Luminier used to protect my family from being targetted by Sathonys Priests or something since he knew he wanted to be killing them since he was a young lad. So in short, I couldn't think of a good last name and so he never will have one.

Some people shorten it to Lumi, making it sound more like an actual name.

Luminier - LOO - min - ear
Lumi - LOO - mee

(pretty sure that was blatantly obvious)
Last edited by luminier on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Desiderea
Master

#27 Post by Desiderea » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:33 am

Desiderea is derived from the poem Desiderata which is "something needed or wanted" or "something wished for, desired." And the dictionary in which I looked up the root "desiderare" states its meaning as "to await from the stars," which I thought sounded pretty neat.

Her last name is Seule, which is French for alone.

Pronounced: DEZZ-eh-DARE-ee-uh

matusalem
Master

#28 Post by matusalem » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:30 am

Matusalem is Spanish for Methuselah, the oldest man in the Bible. I got it from a bottle of my favorite rum.

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#29 Post by Cuetlachtli » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:55 pm

Mine is simply 'wolf' in nahuatl, the ancient language of the aztecs.

I've always liked that language, and so tend to pick nahuatl derived or direct words for names in various games or profile names.

It's pronounced at is looks, except that the 'tl' s are pronounced together.
(and the 'ch' is soft...is that the right description? As in cheese. Or cheer. And not as in character)

Cue TL ach TLI
or

Lach TLI for short.

so far mostly names have been pronounced as I imagined, with the glaring exception of Hsparks....

But Caelia, dern it, I always pronounce yours CA EH LIA, as I tend to pronounce vowels separately...guess I'll have to work on that :)

Damanta
Veteran

#30 Post by Damanta » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Ah... Damanta Laoch.

Originally a neutral thief character in my first ever D&D game, Damanta Vherin. Became so awesome I've been playing him on and off ever since.

The name comes from random words typed into the Irish/gealic translator :D Roughly translated means Damned/Bloody/ or Confounded(most appropriate) Hero/Warrior.

I don't know the exact pronunciation but I've always pronounced it as;

duh-mah-n-ta
luh-ow-sh
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Arwenth
Master

#31 Post by Arwenth » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Arwenth Esteria

Arwenth: Arwenth is the name Arwen with a 'th' added at the end cause I liked how it sounded. Arwen is a welsh name meaning fair or fine also translated to mean noble maiden.

Esteria: Esteria is a variation of the spelling Asteria which is a greek name meaning star.

So Arwenth's name means Fair (Fine) Star.

Where it actually came from: Arwenth is my first character on Geas and normally when I mud I make characters who are magical evil or both and usually elves.

At the instance of the folks who convinced me to play I made a human and the Arwenth just stuck out me and I've always liked the name Esteria.

ETA: Pronunciation:
Arwenth: Ar-win-th

Esteria: Es-teh-ree-ah
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

Skragna
Champion

#32 Post by Skragna » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:37 pm

Skragna Malketh

Skragna was the name of an orcish general that my very first D&D character ripped in two. I picked it for my tshahark because it sounds violent and guttural. Malketh just sort of seemed to fit.