Wild pets

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

Arwenth
Master

Wild pets

#1 Post by Arwenth » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:32 am

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2009 ... ssian-pet/

I found that (mainly the pictures) interesting. Especially since I live in a state where you can own 'exotic' pets.

Out of curiosity anyone here own an 'exotic' or non-common pet?

If only I could afford a sloth...
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

lanyara
Overlord

Re: Wild pets

#2 Post by lanyara » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 am

That second pic is nasty... is that a demon cat, a cat from hell?

Look at the eyes!
Best race: halflings.

Skragna
Champion

#3 Post by Skragna » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:17 pm

I used to own an iguana. That's a fairly uncommon pet, right? My dad also used to own two Burmese pythons, named Zeus (16ft) and Xena (12ft).

Arwenth
Master

#4 Post by Arwenth » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:32 pm

Skragna wrote:I used to own an iguana. That's a fairly uncommon pet, right? My dad also used to own two Burmese pythons, named Zeus (16ft) and Xena (12ft).
Iguanas are considered exotic pets a number of them end up being imported every year from what I understand. I wanted one at one point and I even memorized this poem called 'I'm gonna tell mama I want an iguana' to convince my parents I deserved one, they got me a dog though. How'd that work out owning an iguana?
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

Skragna
Champion

#5 Post by Skragna » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:46 pm

Fairly well until the housing authority said, "Only cats and other SMALL AVIAN OR MAMMALIAN pets allowed. I had to give him away... :cry:

lanyara
Overlord

#6 Post by lanyara » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:52 pm

See ... Iguanas are like tshaharks. Only in reallife.

Noone wants them.

Arwenth
Master

#7 Post by Arwenth » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:04 pm

Skragna wrote:Fairly well until the housing authority said, "Only cats and other SMALL AVIAN OR MAMMALIAN pets allowed. I had to give him away... :cry:
That's sad, even worse I was talking to the girl who I relieve at work and I mentioned iguanas and she told that the part of panama she's from people eat them :evil:

Is it true they'll beat you with their tail if you make them mad though?

Skragna
Champion

#8 Post by Skragna » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:51 am

YES. I can personally attest to the power of a reptile's tail. Scooter nearly knocked me out cold once, and he wasn't even HALF-GROWN. I'd hate to see what a tshahark could do with a full-blown tail slap. Probably snap a neck or crack ribs. But, not only that, they will SLICE YOU WITH THEIR CLAWS. And they're sharp. A full-grown iguana's claws are usually about a half-inch to an inch long, so they can cause serious injury.

Andreati
Master

#9 Post by Andreati » Sun May 02, 2010 2:13 am

Friend of mine has ferrets, which are illegal where we live.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Minariel
Journeyman

#10 Post by Minariel » Mon May 03, 2010 8:06 am

I actually own a ferret. Best pet ever. It's like a combination between a cat and a dog (as far as personality). He fetches, chases my laser pointer, comes when called, and kills mice. They also think EVERYTHING is a game. My mother has one, and it decided to play with the cat. When the cat was done playing, it decided to try and choke the ferret. When we got the cat off of it, the ferret still wanted to play.

Best pet ever.

Skragna
Champion

#11 Post by Skragna » Mon May 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Now I want a ferret and an otter. :)
Otters are like ferrets, but they also like to swim ;)

Minariel
Journeyman

#12 Post by Minariel » Tue May 04, 2010 8:13 am

An otter would be a really neat pet, but it sounds like a real pain.

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/sa ... /pets.html

Skragna
Champion

#13 Post by Skragna » Tue May 04, 2010 9:24 pm

:(
Now I'm sad. If I could have every wild pet I wanted, I'd have... lessee.... a panther, a polar bear, an albino Bengal Tiger, a regular Bengal Tiger, another panther, a cheetah, horses, a camel (they're soooo soft and fluffy), ferret, otter, badger, mole, mouse, a hedgehog (I liked the Redwall books, can you tell?), bunches and bunches of kitten-sized Bombay cats, because they look like panthers, and a 87.5% Siberian Husky / 12.5% Grey Wolf mix... Because it would look beautiful, fox, coyote, kangaroo, dingo, panda, red tailed hawk, golden eagle, peregrine falcon... I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Urlyth
Veteran

#14 Post by Urlyth » Wed May 05, 2010 5:44 am

Just apply to be a resident caretaker at the local zoo this solves all your problems quite easily.

Skragna
Champion

#15 Post by Skragna » Wed May 05, 2010 12:38 pm

My local zoo doesn't have half of those... just lots of the little kids' animals. Oh, add to the list Burmese Python, anaconda, rattlesnake, and black mamba, iguana, chameleon, and Komodo Dragon.

lanyara
Overlord

#16 Post by lanyara » Wed May 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Komodo dragon? Is that like a smaller version of Skragna? May be off topic but ... they have a tail attack don't they!!!

Skragna
Champion

#17 Post by Skragna » Wed May 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Lol. A komodo dragon? For Skragna? nah.... he's more iguana like. But yeah, all lizards can tailwhip you. It hurts. They DO have a poisonous bite, though... Maybe tshahark could get a bite attack? I imagine them having a fairly elongated muzzle, and they do have teeth...

adanath
Champion

#18 Post by adanath » Thu May 06, 2010 4:00 pm

I kept a number of frogs, snakes, lizards and such as pets when I was younger and caught them all the time (until mom finally found them), I can't stand ferrets they smell awful. I want a cheetah, or a leopard. Big kitty.

Skragna
Champion

#19 Post by Skragna » Thu May 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Ferrets never smelled bad to me, but that may be a matter of opinion. I DO agree with wanting one of the big cats. They're perfect. Especially when stalking, and you can watch each single one of the muscles standing out. I watch too much TV... Need to read more documentaries about big cats... so I can write a far more poetic description.

Delmon
Champion

#20 Post by Delmon » Thu May 06, 2010 10:40 pm

yep, big cats are great. Until they kill you.