Magic The Gathering

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

luminier
Overlord

Magic The Gathering

#1 Post by luminier » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:30 pm

adanath wrote:I have been a closet magic player since Alpha..I must admit.
Skragna wrote:THIS:

Plus THIS:

Can blow up anything. And yes, I play MTG. I've got a mainly Naya deck... with some fun additions. I don't think it's anywhere near legal play, though.
Instead of derailing the other topic, I made a new one here.

I've just MWS to make a pretty insane deck. It can still lose, but it's very possible for me to overwhelm literally anything (yes even swarm decks). It's a mix of artifact and blue, and it focuses on getting out my artifacts and having them be indestructible. Also throws in some affinity for artifacts cards just for good measure. Mycosynth Golem? Uh - Yea. Even though it barely fits, i threw in Memnarch. I just love that card.

Any one else notice the new Rise of the Eldrazi set? Seems really awesome, also really broken.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/articl ... theeldrazi

^^^ like come on. There are easy ways to get that out for free too....
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Olrane
Champion

Re: Magic The Gathering

#2 Post by Olrane » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:14 am

Hahahahahaha.

Yeah, you guys can blame Magic for taking me away from Geas. I have two of those Emrakul guys right in front of me while I'm typing this - I spent Saturday with my buddies at the Rise of the Eldrazi prerelease tournament. I play mostly on a casual level, but in the last year or two I've started to get in on the tournament scene. I'm still far from a good player, and I don't get nearly enough time to play tournaments.

Anyway...yeah, Magic is pretty awesome, and apparently it's the most popular it's ever been based on recent sales figures.

I'd love to play anyone on MWS, just give me a heads up on what format (which sets, etc.) you'd like the decks to be in.

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:29 am

Ha, id totally be down for some MWS games. Angeal plays as well and hes got a pretty annoying white protection deck. Ganon has made some good decks, but hes still learning how to play.

Delem also plays... not sure how "into it" he would still be though. I play of course. Alot of my other friends play magic too, but, im not sure if they still use MWS, I know i haven't in a few months. My other friends also despise Geas and frequently make fun of Ganon/Angeal/Delem/Me for playing it, but screw them it's fun lol.

Still though once my exams are done on the 24th, id be down for some games. we usually play any set, any cards, no restrictions. so feel free to make up the gayest strategy you can find. we just have one rule, you can only make the deck if you built it yourself - no internet help. Or at least, that was my rule XD

Skragna
Champion

#4 Post by Skragna » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:19 am

MWS? What's that? And WHAT THE HELL?! ANNIHILATOR 6!!!? I call bs. That's just ridiculous. Mycosynth golem aside, four masters of Etherium and it only costs 11. Four elvish archdruid guys and a few other elves and you've got literally a few dozen green mana floating around for these punks.

Olrane
Champion

#5 Post by Olrane » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:40 am

Note that it's not an artifact. Eldrazi are the first colorless non-artifact creatures.

Phelan
Professional

#6 Post by Phelan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:07 am

Oh, this game still exists!?!? I played it like 20 years ago ...
I still should have my old cards somewhere.

*tries to summon his little Shivan Dragon*

luminier
Overlord

#7 Post by luminier » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:13 am

So many of the older cards (unless you are talking the old and broken alpha/beta cards like *cough*time walk black lotus*cough*) just don't match up to cards these days. Shivan dragon in alpha and beta was a rare back then, but now just about every uncommon there is is better than a card like Shivan dragon. That is if you let rarity be the judge of how good a card is or not - generally it's a pretty good indication.

And Masters of etherium... i think you got ur cards mixed up poskragna. Even if it was an artifact (which as olrane pointed out - it is not) i don't see how it would make it cost less.

I can't really think of good ways to get around annihilator either... like when it attacks you have to sacrifice creatures. You would either need tokens, mass swarm, or return-from-graveyard decks - but I would like to look for other cooler ways.

MWS is a program you can download for free. It stands for Magic work Station. It allows you to play magic using whatever cards you want (They recently updated to zendikar block i think). You can play online against other people. Pretty good. It's got a very slight learning curve, but with someone helping you, it's a non-issue.

I've always had a great love for green cards as my first deck was Elvish Rage from Legions. Gigantomancer is my new favourite card - for sure.

It also reminds me of Delia's ability to make people smaller/bigger. She made Luminier bigger once I think, and yes I was tshahark size =D

lanyara
Overlord

#8 Post by lanyara » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:15 am

It also reminds me of Delia's ability to make people smaller/bigger. She made Luminier bigger once I think, and yes I was tshahark size
Behold of the silver dragon in disguise!!! Delia can move mountains with one gaze!

Oh yes and to use magic geek terms... and also to relate to this whole thread (hah I could derail it!) she'd be a Planeswalker. And definitely an overpowered one!
Best race: halflings.

luminier
Overlord

#9 Post by luminier » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:26 am

Luminier and Caelia could be one of those duo cards.

matusalem
Master

#10 Post by matusalem » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:28 am

Jesus! What the hell baseball team do they play for?

Minariel
Journeyman

#11 Post by Minariel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:13 am

I think I may still have an original "Bird of Paradise" card in my box upstairs... I remember when the Laviathan was one of the biggest creatures. Man I feel old.

As far as card games go, though: L5R > Magic IMO.

Much more strategy. Crane and Scorpion are freaking awesome on the political scene.

God, I'm such a nerd. :oops:

caelia
Professional

#12 Post by caelia » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:20 am

luminier wrote:Luminier and Caelia could be one of those duo cards.
Part of me is touched by the thought, and the other part of me finds it a bit creepy. :)

luminier
Overlord

#13 Post by luminier » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:37 pm

Ha Minariel, Magic all the way.

And it's not so creepy poCaelia, they look like this lol.

Skragna
Champion

#14 Post by Skragna » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:39 am

Hrm. MWS doesn't seem to have MTG cards, where do I go to get 'em? Also, a tshahark-sized Luminier could probably have obliterated Asador.

luminier
Overlord

#15 Post by luminier » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:05 am

You need to download them. i can't exactly remember where but if you did some google searches it shouldn't be that hard. if not, i can just give you what i d/l'd.