Taniel Temple picture

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

isengoo
Champion

Taniel Temple picture

#1 Post by isengoo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:35 pm

The next time you need a visual idea of the Taniel temple, just think of this:

isengoo
Champion

Re: Taniel Temple picture

#2 Post by isengoo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Also, this one is pretty awesome. I love churches :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 3-Asio.JPG

It's a pretty big picture, so I'll just post the link.

arxthas
Hero

#3 Post by arxthas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Nice

Naga
Hero

#4 Post by Naga » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:22 am

Really lovely pics. The first one is a polychrome religious sculpture of St. Michael the Archangel, identified by the attributes of the sword and scales of Justice. I am loathe to admit it, but I don't care for polychrome at all: it's far too much for my tastes. Much of the bare stone of Gothic churches was once painted quite brightly. The same goes for classical sculpture.

The second one really has a nice connection to Taniel and Sathonys, if you think about it. The cult of the "Vierzehn Heiligen" or the Fourteen Holy Helpers was very much a response against the plague. Anyway, I'm a little bitter over the decision of the Church to remove St. Christopher from the universal calendar, on account of the mythic and ahistorical elements in the saint's vita (such as being a giant with the head of a dog). Much of the human value of religion, at least as far as I am concerned, occupies a space beyond the propositional formulations of dogma and catechism, to which a believer can do little more than give assent, and is negotiated in the poetry of liturgical ritual, in allegory, and in folk piety.

There is always an urge to simplify, to make accessible, to strip off accretions, and to return to some ideal, primitive state. And there is much that appears absurd or inessential: I am reminded of Erasmus, in his Praise of Folly, describing the simple peasants adorning a statue of the horse of St. George and leaving it gifts in exchange for favors, or of the Maltese lady who told me that I can cure a foot that has fallen asleep by making the sign of the Cross in saliva on the sole of the foot. But what becomes of faith without mystery, rational like a thesis rather than rational like music, with all needless obscurity and complexity expunged in the name of accessibility? It risks, I'd like to think, losing the liminal space, the threshold, to that which is ineffable and beyond understanding and representation, and which can only be approached through metaphor or silence.

arxthas
Hero

#5 Post by arxthas » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:29 am

I like those small chapels myself.. I was travelling around the UK, here is from the chapel at the top of Edinburgh castle. I think it looks kind of like how I picture the road chapel in Amward :-) Just a bit fancier though, perhaps. I did also visit Westminster Abbey which was awesome, wish I had something from there to show.. but I do not take pictures where it is forbidden.

Urlyth
Veteran

#6 Post by Urlyth » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:14 am

pictures are forbidden mostly because of the flash lighting , but if you are real sneaky and turn the flash off you can take a picture without being caught if you dont make too much fuss and often the pictures are better quality without the flash....