Bye, at least for the time being

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

fernao
Champion

Bye, at least for the time being

#1 Post by fernao » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:59 am

Following the recent events I will be leaving, at least temporarily.

Thanks to all those that made me feel welcome.

PO Fernao
Life is but a butterflies dream

dragan
Journeyman

Re: Bye, at least for the time being

#2 Post by dragan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:20 am

Hope to see you back soon.

Urlyth
Veteran

#3 Post by Urlyth » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:06 am

Am sorry Fernao.

It is a shame to see a player forced out of the game, especially when he plays many hours a day and not just quick bursts to cause havoc with others play!

lanyara
Overlord

#4 Post by lanyara » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:11 am

Completely agree with Urlyth.
Best race: halflings.

luminier
Overlord

#5 Post by luminier » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:47 am

Since I was probably part of that problem, sorry about that. Hope to see you again.

I try to play a lot, while causing havoc though...
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Phelan
Professional

#6 Post by Phelan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:49 am

Sorry to hear that, Fernao. But unfortunately it's how this MUD works. As Lumi said, it is a no equal opportunity MUD. If you are Crusader you have all opportunities, if you are not a Crusader you have none and get screwed if you don't do what they want. They have done it in the past and will keep doing it as long as they are supported by code and admin.

arxthas
Hero

#7 Post by arxthas » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:49 am

Urlyth wrote:Am sorry Fernao.

It is a shame to see a player forced out of the game, especially when he plays many hours a day and not just quick bursts to cause havoc with others play!
I'm sorry too. But I do not see how he is "forced" out.. nobody has that power except the admin. In either case, its mostly on the negative when someones leaves.

luminier
Overlord

#8 Post by luminier » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:04 am

Phelan wrote:Sorry to hear that, Fernao. But unfortunately it's how this MUD works. As Lumi said, it is a no equal opportunity MUD. If you are Crusader you have all opportunities, if you are not a Crusader you have none and get screwed if you don't do what they want. They have done it in the past and will keep doing it as long as they are supported by code and admin.

Haha, thats such a cute statement.

Veriya
Apprentice

#9 Post by Veriya » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:11 am

Remember when you were a kid, and some asshole programmer had made an impossible level in a video game.... So what, you threw the controller, stomped around angrily, quit? Maybe, but chances are you took a breather, and came back to show that prick level designer that you're smarter than his program.

Geas is much like this. The code tries to eat our Immies on a daily basis. It's alive. It is overall benevolent... but it relishes in the suffering of anyone who would take it more seriously than any game should be taken. Sure, it has social aspects, so its easy to get frustrated. Sure, it has code aspects that can punish the player for roleplaying. (Be glad that in RL, Luminier is a harmless canadian.) Sure, Luminier is a kind of a douche ICly. Sure, if you're a warcleric, your avatar is likely insane, and will get you killed a lot. Fact of life. It's a lot like being a ranger. Or a scribe outside of Arborea. Or a Sathonite or... Hell. Everyone dies a lot. Get used to it.

Fact is, we are all the characters of this world, and some have put in a lot more time than others. Their characters are more developed, and they reap the benefits of being old and/or industrious. You may have noticed the immortals almost never interfere where something can be handled with roleplay (or otherwise between the players) This is, in my opinion, one of the greatest strengths of Geas.

Geas is awesome in that it closely mirrors a lot of life experiences in a slightly less-than-cliche fantasy world. It's history seems deep in ages of rising and falling guilds and powers. The crusade's actions gained them power. Not sure who ever said others can't do the same thing. (Pretty sure no one)

Peoples characters often reflect themselves in some small ways or another. Other times, they are so stressed to roleplay apart from themselves that their character becomes everything the player hates about themselves or others. Either way, that ability is the reason MUD's in general exist. An escape for some, entertainment for others...

That all being said, consider the following actions and statements to get along with the other people that make Geas a great, continuous story that we the players are writing.
A. It's a game. You're playing it. Look up the definition of 'game' and 'play' if you need to. \Play\ the /Game/.
B. Appreciate the great code and effort put into said game.
C. Try to avoid creating too many negative experiences for other players, within reasonable bounds for your chosen roleplay.
D. Understand the aspects of your chosen roleplay. For example, most of the successful evil characters started good, got strong, and became evil.
E. Be clever and creative. Crusaders and Sathonites might kill you, but most/all of them still prefer RP first.
F. Recognize that Geas is pretty forgiving on taking breaks. It understands the need, as I see it. Your character won't die, or become useless and weak over a relatively extended period of time.
G. Have fun. Pretty sure that's a rule.

If any of these are a problem for anyone, take a break, grow as a person, look up the definitions I have suggested and come back when you're ready to enjoy a great game with some great characters.

As to the poster of this topic, I really hope to see you around again, as Fernao or anyone else. Can't change anything without people willing to make change happen. Same is true for anywhere, I guess.

Much love,
poVeriya
Antoine[male dwarf] finished your haircut.
Antoine[male dwarf] unwields a hand axe.

Ozzie
Experienced

#10 Post by Ozzie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Veriya wrote: Geas is much like this. The code tries to eat our Immies on a daily basis.
What's an Immy?

Veriya
Apprentice

#11 Post by Veriya » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Immy=Immortal. aka Wizards/Administrators/Guys in the sky etc. :D
Antoine[male dwarf] finished your haircut.
Antoine[male dwarf] unwields a hand axe.

matusalem
Master

#12 Post by matusalem » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:29 pm

I merely wanted to tag this along with Veriya's player's other suggestions. It's not a bad idea to have an alternative character. This way you can take a step back from any sort of tedious conflicts going on with one character, and still have fun with the game. What's more, by making a character with different motivations and morals and goals, you can gain a wider appreciation for the entire game world and become less emotionally invested in just one character's circumstances. Just a thought.

ferranifer
Champion

#13 Post by ferranifer » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:13 pm

matusalem wrote:I merely wanted to tag this along with Veriya's player's other suggestions. It's not a bad idea to have an alternative character. This way you can take a step back from any sort of tedious conflicts going on with one character, and still have fun with the game. What's more, by making a character with different motivations and morals and goals, you can gain a wider appreciation for the entire game world and become less emotionally invested in just one character's circumstances. Just a thought.
In other words. Make a Crusader alt. That way you choose when you play yourself and experience the game at its fullest! (besides the whole chastity thing, so you're missing on about 50% of the game, but you can use your non crusader alt for that).

Sorry, but couldn't help it. :wink:

luminier
Overlord

#14 Post by luminier » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:17 pm

God knows I had to make several alts. Winning the MUD and destroying characters all day starts to eat at ones soul. Even the best need breaks.

matusalem
Master

#15 Post by matusalem » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Actually, I would be more inclined to suggest rolling up something with no intent on joining one specific guild. Just see what your character stumbles into. That's actually what Matusalem is essentially. Never intended him to be a Crusader ever, but what I can I say? He was made an offer he couldn't refuse.

isengoo
Champion

#16 Post by isengoo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Everyone knows that, since they are the newest guild to be coded, the Crusade has a lot of nice features other guilds don't. They have a lot, actually. I won't give them away for obvious reasons, but go ahead and make an alt and get them into the Crusaders and you will know how ridiculously advanced their system is compared to, let's say, the Asrals. It's not even comparable. Really, it's kind of annoying, but it's how the game goes. It used to bother me, but then I remembered it's just a game and now it's all good, man 8)

luminier
Overlord

#17 Post by luminier » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:53 pm

isengoo wrote:Everyone knows that, since they are the newest guild to be coded, the Crusade has a lot of nice features other guilds don't. They have a lot, actually. I won't give them away for obvious reasons, but go ahead and make an alt and get them into the Crusaders and you will know how ridiculously advanced their system is compared to, let's say, the Asrals. It's not even comparable. Really, it's kind of annoying, but it's how the game goes. It used to bother me, but then I remembered it's just a game and now it's all good, man 8)
Ya our help system is way better. I could see how annoying that could be. I mean really Isengoo how do you still live?

isengoo
Champion

#18 Post by isengoo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:09 pm

I eat right and maintain an active lifestyle!

luminier
Overlord

#19 Post by luminier » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:50 pm

A good breakfast is a healthy start to any day.

arxthas
Hero

#20 Post by arxthas » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:19 pm

There's nothing like the smell of burning flesh in the morning.