Books and Movies

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

luminier
Overlord

Re: Books and Movies

#41 Post by luminier » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:03 pm

paradise lost is good if you have the version that has what hes actually saying on the other page, otherwise i can't understand it like at all. the whole angels vs demons is always a good story though.

iunno if it's been said but a couple years ago (i think 2-3 now) i read a book called enders game and it's a really really good one in my opinion. it's by orson scott card (as i recall thats a psudonym or w/e)
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

ganandorf
Overlord

#42 Post by ganandorf » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Supernatural season 4 premiere, angels vs demons anyone?
Meow

ramandu
Professional

#43 Post by ramandu » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:39 pm

luminier wrote: enders game and it's a really really good one in my opinion. it's by orson scott card (as i recall thats a psudonym or w/e)
You were right, it's Orson Scott Card. Ender's Game continues to be one of my favorites as well (not as much as the Sandman and Good Omens, but close). The first book won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards. The other 2 books are also good on their own right, but the first is the best stand alone with Speaker for the Dead being great.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

luminier
Overlord

#44 Post by luminier » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:22 pm

i got about half way through the one that was about bean, enders shadow... and eventually it just turned into enders game again which was pretty interesting how he paralleled it. but sadly i never finished it and now i've forgotten what was going on where i am.

all i remember is the great opening to enders shadow, it was fairly intense.

Delmon
Champion

#45 Post by Delmon » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:12 pm

I remember reading enders game in like 6th grade. I remember it being a decent book about kid geniuses, but also found myself disliking the three kids and saying "no way... never... I cant relate to a book which has 6 year olds controlling the world." The end of ender's game is fairly interesting, but the book at the core is far from epic, and I rate it along side Eragon, a book that can grab the attention of readers till the end, but then you look back and say "wow, there are some really annoying things about this! :evil: "

6 out of 10

Sorry, maby in a few days I'll look in my library and find some good sci fi and fantasy to suggest. I tend to like books with substance like Farenheight 451 to Brave New World, and then on the opposite side I like books with simplistic diction and solid plots, such as the well know The Hobbit.

As for movies, I remember watching 3:10 to Yuma, the remake, and thinking it was solid. Then you cant forget the new Batman and Iron Man (forget spiderman please!). I cant help considering Lotr as a future classic for all 13 year olds. And as I remember Mel Gibson's Apocolypto, it kind of reminds of geas!

Delmon
Champion

#46 Post by Delmon » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:55 pm

I cant believe I just found a book from long ago called Thief. Decent story, but the main character, obviously a successful thief, is ironically named Gen!

luminier
Overlord

#47 Post by luminier » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:42 pm

thats either extremely unoriginal or extremely coincidental. with delmon, i can't tell.

ganandorf
Overlord

#48 Post by ganandorf » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:46 pm

Anyone else seen the spirit yet?
Meow

Andreati
Master

#49 Post by Andreati » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:53 pm

I heard that it got two stars out of five. The Spirit, that is.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Andreati
Master

#50 Post by Andreati » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:19 am

Has anyone read the Cryptonomicon or anything by Iain Banks? I suppose that's more of a question for the European people. I don't believe that many of Banks' books are released in the US.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#51 Post by Cuetlachtli » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:12 pm

Books...yum.

Mostly SF and Fantasy.
Read Good Omens, great!
Song of Fire and Ice...only read the first 2 so far, but excellent.

I love Vonnegut. All of his books. (Cat's Cradle and Galapagos are my favs)

Currently Reading R.A. Salvatore, Icewind Dale trilogy. Good fun fantasy.

Greg Bear is a really good SF author. His first (maybe best) novel is a rather short one called Blood Music. It's a real page turner that I finished in a day, was just incredible. Another I read of his recently was Eon. Pretty neat far future SF.

Orson Scott Card:
Ender's Game series was good.
Bean series (the parallel) was decent.
Read most of his Alvin Maker series, but the last two books. An interesting fantasy alternate history of the early United States.
Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Colombus. Excellent time-travel ish book of his.

Libros en espanol. Because spanish is fun.

And I'm currently subscribed to Asimov's Science Fiction. A magazine that showcases short SF stories by various authors. Some really neat stuff in the pages of that publication.

I've read loads of non-fiction...mostly about space, physics, math, and other sciences. All good stuff.

Movies: Not really into those so much but..
I heart Huckabees
The Life Aquatic Starring Steve Zissou
The Royal Tenenbaums
Enemy Mine
Killer Clowns From Outer Space
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Oh yeah, I like lots of Anime...but I'll spare you all. :wink:

Kaseo
Journeyman

#52 Post by Kaseo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

I've recently read The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Good book, in my opinion. It's about a group of thieves who work a bit differently than normal, and a bit outside of what's considered "acceptable" by their peers.
Good book, worth a read if you ask me.
"Luminier says deeply and quietly in Common: Enough with the
pleasantries
Luminier gives you a rough man hug."

Andreati
Master

#53 Post by Andreati » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:44 pm

-The Lies of Locke Lamora has been on my booklist for at least a year now, as soon as I find my library card, it's mine!
-Good Omens/all Terry Pratchett books amaze me. The Wee Free Men, Monstrous Regiment, and Guards Guards! being my favorites (so far).
-I'm getting in to William Gibson's work. It's pretty Steam-Punkish, and mind-blowing.
-The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic is really amazing. The first two.

Lachtli: ¿Cuál libros en español? I'm looking for more books to practice with. The ones translated into English just...aren't always so interesting.

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#54 Post by Cuetlachtli » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:31 am

Unfortunately I haven't read a lot of spanish books, and not many modern ones either (since I rarely buy new books) but here's what I have read.

The Silmarillion translated (that was hard in english!)
Ender's Game

Then Original Spanish Texts

Bodas De Sangre (well, a play by Lorca)

A book of lots of poems by Lorca (I like him, but who doesn't? This one was nice because it had english on one page, spanish on the other)

Collection of three stories by Pedro A. De Alarcon: El Sombrero de tres picos, El capitan veneno, and El nino de la boda. (late 1800s early 1900s stuff)

Camilio Jose Cela's La Familia de Pascual Duarte (1961_

Novelas Ejemplares: collection of short stories by Miguel De Cervantes, of Don Quixote fame (which I have yet to read)

A lot of the language seems a bit antiquated to me, but that's the aspect of reading these old books I like, since it's a good reason to pull out the spa/eng dictionary (or the web version) and learn some new words.
:P

Delia
Overlord

#55 Post by Delia » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:17 am

"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

ramandu
Professional

#56 Post by ramandu » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:00 am

Kung fury! This is fantastic! Do you know these folks?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Delia
Overlord

#57 Post by Delia » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:48 am

Unfortunately I do not. If I did, I would most surely have done my most everything to be a part of something as magically awesome as this.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

ferranifer
Champion

#58 Post by ferranifer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:47 am

Lately I've been reading the Chronicles of the Black Company, by Glen Cook. I find the writing style refreshing. There is no narrator at all and every single character in the book is just there, defined on a daily basis by its words and actions. From what I've read so far, and not revealing anything but a tease, it's about a mercenary company working for the bad guys. The World could in a way be Geas, definitely the same sword & sorcery vibe to it. Magicians are rare and extremely powerful, yet magic isn't flashy or flamboyant at all. I truly recommend it.

One of my favourite books is Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson. He also wrote the Cryptonomicon and Snowcrash, which I recommend as well. Diamond Age is awesome because it's not a far fetch to say that the future is shaping to be just like it's described in that book - and that scares the crap out of me.