Hello !I'm new!

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

Rarose

Hello !I'm new!

#1 Post by Rarose » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:15 am

Hi there! I'm a new player, based in the US...an dI usually play after midnight EST. When do you all play?

I'm excited to see well-developped MUD that is RP enforced, is almost an RPI, and appears to be high magic to boot :}...just my kind of world!

I'm looking forward to developping some really good plots here. What kind of excitement is everyone interested in stimulating IC?

Also...I hear there is custom crafting,unfortunately I dont see help files for them. I see it is possible though under HELP SKILLLIST. May I ask if anyone can tell me how crafting works here? I already know that the bookmaking system is amazing.

Also I'd be happy to contribute to help files in this area. Is there anyway to do that?

luminier
Overlord

Re: Hello !I'm new!

#2 Post by luminier » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:46 am

Well it certainly nice to see a new face who is so interested in helping out already!

There is quite a lot of magic to learn but it is an arduous task from what I've heard.

In terms of stimulating RP, my character loves political conflict as well as good old fashioned PvP. I enjoy talking about religion and it's affects on the characters in the world since my character is strongly religious (which is sometimes odd to RP since I am the opposite) and how that incorporates into his IG life.

The is custom crafting, but, players must have a good reputation in a specific city to be able to craft items. And it is limited to the amount of materials you can find to give an NPC... meaning that players themselves cannot make the items they are approved by wizards and an NPC "makes" them.

Bookmaking is amazing from what I've seen. A little complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it (after 1-3 books) you should be bookmaking with the best of them!

Oh ya, Im an asshole InCharacter. Happy roleplaying!
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Eluriel
Master

#3 Post by Eluriel » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:57 am

I generally play later at night US time, so I might see you around. :)

I always enjoy characters that rp against the grain. Too many Taniel clerics and Crusaders is boring. ;) It is rather hard to rp an evil character though unless you're experienced in the game, so I'd advise staying neutral at least until you get the hang of things.

Luminier mentioned custom crafting where you can order special armor and weapons with your own description. You'll just have to provide materials and enough gold to pay for it. Actually, I don't think I had to provide materials for leather and cloth stuff, but for metal you do.

There are also different craft guilds you can join: tanners, parchmentmakers, bookbinders, gemcutters, and trappers. There are signs in the guilds that give you instructions on what to do, and to join you just have to ask the NPC of the guild about joining. You can join as a guest member or a full member, but you can only be a full member of one craft guild. Full members are able to take lessons from the NPC and guest members have to pay a yearly fee of 5 gold. Also, you can mine, search for herbs, skin and butcher animals, cut wood, and fish without having to join a guild.

Rarose

#4 Post by Rarose » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:29 am

(Its 5 AM, forgive me for the brevity of this reply but I just HAD to)

You two must be mods otherwise how'd you know I was reading back to 2005 and seeing people comment about the derth of action, and therefore decided to try aim to play something evil at some point (and for once in my life)? hehe
8)
Thanks both of you for replying related to crafting...It's good to know that I can custom describe it, which is important to me.

Can't wait to play!!! Eluriel hope to see you around too!!!

:D

Skragna
Champion

#5 Post by Skragna » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:28 am

I'm an... interesting character to be around. Skragna more or less is one of the more physically intimidating characters 'round the MUD, and I work hard sometimes to try and keep that image. Still, he's not as rude as Luminier can be, and is always willing to help a youngling. Just uh... don't make the big lizard angry, eh? Hope to see you IG!

fernao
Champion

#6 Post by fernao » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:36 am

Welcome abord.

I play in the European timezone, usually 6 pm CET to 11 or 12 pm CET plus weekends, when my playing time is "a bit" longer.

Most IG conflict in the game resolves around good vs. evil which is of course heavily based on religion and local laws. Some of us, like the Crusaders which Luminier is a member of, ignore mortal law and follow the law of their gods.

The crafting guilds are located in the human town of Arborea which is a neutral city but has some deep history with the Asral deity. Pure evils, such as the followers of Sathonies are not welcomed there however.

Hope thats not too much IG info. Most of that and MUCH MUCH more you can find out in game. Nice spots to hang around for youngsters, or newbies :wink: , are the market places of Elvandar and Arborea, also the crossing with the white tree near Arborea where the elven and the human patrol guards meet.

As for helping with help files or any other stuff, there is the "report" command. You can leave bug reports or ideas there for the really great wizarding staff we have. They will read your reports and consider your input. Sometimes things are easy to fix/implement, then it can happen with lightning speed, sometimes it is more complicated and needs thorough research in order not to break anything in the mud and can take longer. But usually you get at least a comment on your input about the state of things.
Life is but a butterflies dream

Phelan
Professional

#7 Post by Phelan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:59 am

Rarose wrote:... and therefore decided to try aim to play something evil at some point (and for once in my life)?
Welcome to Geas!

If you want an advice from someone who plays an evil char, start playing your char neutral to good, else you will be soon frustrated. Playing an evil char is very hard on Geas, especially for small chars, and even for big ones.

Learn more about the areas, guilds, monsters, etc before you decide to turn evil, else you will miss a lot of the MUD and a lot of fun.

Just my 2 cc.

poPhelan

adanath
Champion

#8 Post by adanath » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:14 am

Welcome to Geas. I'm just a big lumbering dumb lizard who is going to poke a hole in all evil ones. :).

Rarose

#9 Post by Rarose » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:28 am

Hi everyone!!! In a rush once again (heading to work), but thank you so much for the advice and welcome!!!

Yes my intention is to start good/neutral. Actually I think a lot of interesting conflicts happen even to and with characters of those alignments, so I'll try to see what could happen with that.

I'm new to MUDs, and poorly with ASCII maps, though I feel I"m improving (I think I understood Arborea's map, ha). What do you guys use in substitute for the lack of maps in game (I understand there are only ones for towns), or directions?

Drayn
Hero

#10 Post by Drayn » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:49 am

Getting from one town to another is pretty easy with the roads. They're sign posted so pretty easy to navigate. Venturing into the wilds gets trickier, but then that's true in real life :)

Eleassa
Professional

#11 Post by Eleassa » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:46 pm

I like to make my own maps on paper. Most areas work well on a normal grid. I've had to develop a shorthand for marking if an exit goes up, down, north-east-up, etc.

You can also RP that your character could get lost in a small, leather bag.
Two rules to live by:
Don't sweat the petty stuff.
Don't pet the sweaty stuff.

A third rule to live by:
Don't do ANYTHING you don't want to admit and/or explain to a paramedic

Rarose

#12 Post by Rarose » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks both of you!!
Eleassa wrote:
You can also RP that your character could get lost in a small, leather bag.
Eleassa, I do not understand xD, lol...can you please clarify? Thanks =)

luminier
Overlord

#13 Post by luminier » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:46 pm

She means, roleplay that your character is very bad at directions. Haha

Eleassa
Professional

#14 Post by Eleassa » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Well, in my neck of the woods, if someone gets lost easily, they're said to be able to get lost in a paper bag. Since paper bags don't exist in game, I substituted the 'small leather bag' that can be found in game.

Sorry :oops:
Two rules to live by:
Don't sweat the petty stuff.
Don't pet the sweaty stuff.

A third rule to live by:
Don't do ANYTHING you don't want to admit and/or explain to a paramedic

luminier
Overlord

#15 Post by luminier » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:40 pm

In my neck of the woods (which i like to believe is everyones neck) if someones bad at something we say "they couldn't (do the thing they are bad at) out of a wet paper bag".

sucks at math?

He can't do math to get out of a wet paper bag!

fernao
Champion

#16 Post by fernao » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:18 am

Coloquials are not an easy thing to understand for non-native speakers... I guess thats the main problem.
Life is but a butterflies dream