Vote on TMS!

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

arxthas
Hero

Re: Vote on TMS!

#61 Post by arxthas » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:01 am

One person, one vote (and then the person's iPad, iPhone, laptop) - the geas way? Sure! Not going to let this ranking be dictated by people's opinions! Mitt Romney had super PACs. We got iPads. Nothing in the rules against that, right? Surely that has to be the idea of a ranking system.

*clicks the vote button*

adanath
Champion

#62 Post by adanath » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Vote or else I will teleport to your location and eat your soul.

Drayn
Hero

#63 Post by Drayn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:51 am

4th place! WOOT!

louis
Champion

#64 Post by louis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Folks,we must vote even harder! :mrgreen:
Only 2 votes and we are down to 5th again

adanath
Champion

#65 Post by adanath » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:54 pm

louis wrote:Folks,we must vote even harder! :mrgreen:
Only 2 votes and we are down to 5th again
I am doing it as hard as I possibly can!!!

It has been said, but use your tablets and phones too..it may not count a vote if you are on the same wireless network as another computer so take your phones and tablets over to cellular connection first.

Drayn
Hero

#66 Post by Drayn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:41 pm

in short: Vote from different IP addresses. That is how such things are tracked. If your ISP provides you with a dynamic IP (as many do) restarting your router might give you a fresh IP (you can double check which IP you're on at www.myrouterip.com)

Proxy Service IPs are likely blacklisted.

Aslak
Master

#67 Post by Aslak » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:12 pm

I highly doubt that will only check the IP address.
It might be also some kind of tracking cookie, or if they put up some work to prevent the misuse also a fingerprinting of the browser.

Zehren
Overlord

#68 Post by Zehren » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:40 pm

I seriously hope no one is sitting up all night changing IP addresses and trying to cheat us to the top of the list.

We are, after all, already the best mud there is. We are easily seen in 4th position, and the 1st on the list is not an RP mud. AKA popular glorified chat room with remorts. Laughing so much.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

anglachel
Site Admin

#69 Post by anglachel » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:41 am

We should use all possibilities and options that we have, but we should not cheat. Only a good rank archived on the honest way makes fun. At least for for me.
The rule is then i remember right: One vote for every unique device with unique IP all 12 hours.

Zehren
Overlord

#70 Post by Zehren » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:50 am

http://www.topmudsites.com/rules.shtml
How often can I vote?
Your vote will count only once every 12 hours. For the most part, the script will stop someone from inflating their votes. If I catch you cheating such as using open proxies, I'll give you a warning, then suspend you, then ban you from the list. The integrity of this site is based on the fact that cheating will not get you to the top, and that the rankings are as fair as they can be.
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

glorfindel
Hero

#71 Post by glorfindel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:04 am

What happened ? We lost about 100 votes overnight :/

down to the 10th.

Allurana
Hero

#72 Post by Allurana » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:31 am

My guess is that it might be TMS' way of clarifying how voting works. That is to say, 1 vote per person per 12 hours, rather than 1 vote per unique IP per 12 hours.

louis
Champion

#73 Post by louis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:55 am

Well, we have a great playerbase, a great game, so we will quite easily and "totally legally" make our way back to top five soon. My apologies that I did not inform you correctly, should have read the rules in beforehand maybe :mrgreen:

anglachel
Site Admin

#74 Post by anglachel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:20 am

I get no info till now, why this happened, but i think it that someone tried to vote multiply through changing the IP-Adresse and they noticed it.
How I mentioned before, you must have your own unique device to vote. Even the it used by more as one person, only one can vote.
It is not allowed to mock there is more as one device. So please do not try to do so through technical tricks.
Best vote from the same device once in the morning and once in the evening (12 hours between) and there will be no problems.
Best would be a unique (deciated) IP, so there will be no doubt. But the most of us will have dynamic IPs.
In this case and in all other: Be fair, donot cheat

louis
Champion

#75 Post by louis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Ha! Back on Position 8 :mrgreen: 18 clicks to 7th!

*Louis silently points at the left vote button*

Drake
Wizard

#76 Post by Drake » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:39 am

Hi Guys,

Not only do I want to encourage you all to vote!

But I also want to let you know that we've been in touch with TMS's admin and have been told that the votes that were removed due to them being via proxy.

This of course is against TMS's rules, and is automatically dealt with by the site. We have been told that it is continuing, and to expect a further correction in our vote total in the coming days.

So, if anyone is trying to boost our vote count by proxy, while we love the enthusiasm, we would appreciate that it stop since it won't work, and could easily result in us being removed from TMS.

Now that that's said... VOTE!!!! (the legit way) :D

Drake
Evil in Training.
Gods middle finger.

anglachel
Site Admin

#77 Post by anglachel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 am

In this case we speak from a 'anonymity network' proxy like TOR, AnoNet, JAP and and ..... Not from a normal firewall proxy.
To use this for voting is no good idea. These server all well known, and easy to detect.
If you use such tools by default, then do not vote. If you want to vote must disable it before.

ganandorf
Overlord

#78 Post by ganandorf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Might be worth noting that some people who are voting from work computers may be automatically voting through proxys?
Meow

Drake
Wizard

#79 Post by Drake » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 pm

ganandorf wrote:Might be worth noting that some people who are voting from work computers may be automatically voting through proxys?
Publicly accessible 'anonymous' proxies are the issue apparently.

Private proxies through companies/schools/ISP's etc should be fine.

Though of course, voting through such would present the same IP for all voters voting through that proxy.
Evil in Training.
Gods middle finger.

glorfindel
Hero

#80 Post by glorfindel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:27 pm

I do not know what actually was used here nor do I know the exact case but:

(WARNING: Computer nerd talk ahead)

- The technology used was likely one of the big public anonymizing proxies like mentioned by Anglachel. All those systems usually have a list of endpoints which are easy to come by and which are clearly visible. Many sites use that information to block said services, as there is no way to uniquely identify the user.
- Your typical company / school / firewall / etc proxy is a caching / filtering proxy, which has the task of either blocking some content from the net, scanning it for malware, rip out potential malicious code (javascript, active contents, etc) as well as making the net faster for everyone by caching content that has been accessed for a certain period of time. Further requests for the same content could then be answered locally, saving precious bandwith.
- The anonymizing proxy, on the other hand, as stated, has the purpose of hiding your identity, so as the site's likely concerned, you are a nobody. And they can't tell if you are the same nobody that came by five seconds ago or not.

So:

- Using your companies / schools / firewalls proxy is totally fine, as it will still appear
to be you, or at least a small group of people, identifyable. More votes from there
are likely just not counted.
- If you are using an anonymizing proxy, you are probably aware of it and you can just either make a rule for the voting site to go directly from your computer or turn the thing off while voting.

hope that bit of computer speak helps clear up the difference between the two.