Voting Reminders

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

Shall we remind you to vote every 12 hours?

Yes, please
53%
I don't mind
29%
No, thanks, thats only annoying
18%

Total votes: 17

louis
Champion

Voting Reminders

#1 Post by louis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:43 am

As you know our current rankings suck quite badly ... So, I would like to ask you for your opinion considering voting reminders - for a while we reminded all players once a day, but I was not sure wether this was just annoying or seen as useful.

So, what do you mean, should we remind you once every 12 hours to vote, or shall we better leave it?

Delia
Overlord

Re: Voting Reminders

#2 Post by Delia » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:01 am

For me, a reminder during logging in is enough. During play it might begin to be too intrusive, perhaps. Personally I do not mind.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

louis
Champion

#3 Post by louis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:06 am

Delia wrote:For me, a reminder during logging in is enough. During play it might begin to be too intrusive, perhaps. Personally I do not mind.
The problem I see is, the reminder during login is not accurate, you get this reminder at any login - I am thinking of a reminder that reminds every 12 hours only

fernao
Champion

#4 Post by fernao » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:31 am

I am with Delia here.

A reminder to please vote every 12 hours at login should be enough

Though I don't mind a reminder during gameplay, I can understand why some folks might feel disturbed by it.
Life is but a butterflies dream

Zehren
Overlord

#5 Post by Zehren » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:07 am

Some of us poor folks who are logged in for more than twelve hours from time to time would have use for reminders while logged in, not merely while logging in. :)
Drayn wrote:Zehren, the Karmassassin!

Reptar
Journeyman

#6 Post by Reptar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Yeah, I can't even see Geas on the list no more :c at the moment I vote once a day or less, but that's because I'm stuck with studying finals and can't be bothered to turn on my laptop to vote. Once finals are done, I'll vote more for sure.

But also, you reminding me isn't annoying at all, and seems like no one objects to this yet. Maybe everyone would agree that reminding people helps. Just need a good system of when to get a reminder.

glorfindel
Hero

#7 Post by glorfindel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:16 pm

I personally think that the login screen scrolls back for anybody to use.

Maybe, a little code could be invested and make that appear like the newbie hints or bug fixed notifications pop up a little after you logged in. And just provide a simple means to switch the reminder off, for those who are annoyed by it.

Thus those who wish to be reminded are, and those who wish not, aren't.

Drayn
Hero

#8 Post by Drayn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:14 am

I'm not sure that a timed 12 hour timer would be very beneficial if it's the same for everyone. I'm not sure many players would play for 12 hours constantly and if they sat down to play for, say, 3 hours, they'd miss the notification. If the vote timer was synchronized to the individual that would be useful, but I imagine that would either be difficult to code (having to get the forum or something to send data to the MUD when the user votes) or rather clumsy (having to get the user to manually tell the MUD when they've voted).

louis
Champion

#9 Post by louis » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:39 am

Nono, I was of course thinking of individual reminders. :mrgreen:

Reptar
Journeyman

#10 Post by Reptar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:23 pm

louis wrote:Nono, I was of course thinking of individual reminders. :mrgreen:
Are you serious? Isn't that a lot of work? Though I'd be happy with that, because that would be my concern too, reminders being for individual people. Just like what Drayn said.

Drayn
Hero

#11 Post by Drayn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:10 am

If they're synchronised to individuals and can be easily toggled off, as poGlor suggests, I think they'd be very handy, but I'd still wonder how much benefit would be gain vs. the work required. Having the notifications being aware of you voting (maybe a bit of additional javascript on the voting button updating some daemon on the MUD) would be ideal, but I imagine that might have nightmarish levels of code and potential security issues.