Roleplaying Games

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

Delia
Overlord

Roleplaying Games

#1 Post by Delia » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Do you guys play any roleplaying games? Not any computer games but the pen and paper variety. We played quite a lot of them while growing up. Some of them more than others but all of them have been kinda nice and it is all good clean fun. Nowadays we have picked up the hobby again and it has been a blast! Games that I have played include:

D&D (My big brother got the first red box as a christmas present aeons ago)
AD&D(various settings)
Rolemaster Shadow World
Cyberpunk
Elric
Runequest
Call Of Cthulhu
Ars Magica
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Praedor
Fiasco
Durance
Trail of Cthulhu

And some I cannot remember. We have tried quite many new games offering new approaches to roleplaying as one shots. It has been interesting. Next year I promised to start a Blue Planet game.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

fernao
Champion

Re: Roleplaying Games

#2 Post by fernao » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:45 pm

I played, in School, High School and University those:
AD&D
Midgard (my favorite!)
DSA
Life is but a butterflies dream

illiad
Beginner

#3 Post by illiad » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:08 pm

I have played a bunch over the years. My first was decades ago when my brother received the red D&D box and I received the blue one for x-mas.

After that, in no particular order there was:

Top Secret
Gurps
Rolemaster
AD&D
Cyberpunk
Robotech
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage

ferranifer
Champion

#4 Post by ferranifer » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:18 am

Played tons over the years, let's see if my memory doesn't falter:

Ars Magika: my favorite pen&paper by far. Played 2nd and 4th editions. Even learned the freaking hand gestures. Tracar Log! I mean... Creo Vim!
Dungeons & Dragons: everything from advanced to 3.5. Tried a core 1st ed game once, too rough. Interested on trying 4.0 because I think the streamlining might actually help the game quite a lot (if people manage to overcome their hate of MMOs over the rules changes). My favorite setting: Dark Sun. Close second Ravenloft.
Warhammer. This game makes for surprisingly fun pen&paper. The setting is SO rich and open to epicness.. if your DM doesn't let that goblin double crit you.. scarred for life *sigh*
Cthulhu. Many forms of these. Ia! Ia! Pro tip: pick an athlete with running shoes. That way you'll at least make it to the psych ward.
Shadowrun.
Vampire/Werewolf/Wraith/Mage. Screw the fairies.
5 Rings.
Exalted. This one was quite fun, though the rules are a chore. Very prone to massive dice rolling and rule lawyering.
Paranoia. Crazy good fun.
Runescape.
Lord of the Rings. The old one. This was actually one of my first pen and papers.
Aquelarre (witches' sabbath) Spanish game about the northern Gaelic mythology, witchhunts and other Spanish obscure myth.
Mutantes G2. Spanish super hero game. Combat was quick and fresh. Better job at epic than Exalted, but it's a Spanish game with very little market penetration.
Drakar Och Demoner. A swedish friend organized one of this. It was awesome. I actually met the creator of this game in a business meeting once. Cool guy.
Star Wars in its many reincarnations. Meh.
And on RPG-like boardgames, I think Once Upon a Time deserves a mention. Try it.

But the king of the hill is Geas. I should mention that my favorite RPGs are... MUDs. I've been playing RPGs for over 25 years and MUDs for over 20. Not sure if you'd want those in the list, but they have gotten BY FAR the most hours played of any game in my life. Highlights there are of course Xyllomer, and the reigning champion Geas which I've been playing pretty much since it opened doors. It has had ups and downs, but it definitely has given me and many friends hours, days and years of goodness.

Drayn
Hero

#5 Post by Drayn » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:54 pm

DnD
D20 Modern
Time Lord (Doctor Who RP)
Big Eyes Small Mouth
Cyberpunk
GURPS
Old World of Darkness
New World of Darkness
Call of Cthulhu
GUMSHOE
Paranoia
Minds Eye Theatre
A Song of Ice and Fire
and a few homebrew systems :)

Skragna
Champion

#6 Post by Skragna » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:39 am

D&D 3.5

D&D 4E (One game and our whole group quit playing it)

Pathfinder

Top Secret (Twice, once in 'Nam and once as ourselves in a zombie apocalypse. In the former, I walked home with more bullets in me than the rest of the party combined. And yes, I mean WALKED. Walking wounded, eight gunshot wounds.)

Warhammer Fantasy Role Playing (Ludo Ralf. Halfling Bounty Hunter turned champion. Earned the moniker 'Trollsbane' after taking out a Chaos Troll with a 37 damage arrow to the femoral artery. He also did many other badass things, but too long to list.)

Middle-Earth Role Playing. Based on the Rolemaster System. 'Shock rewires victim's entire nervous system. Subject falls over, spasming, for three rounds, and dies.'

Vampire: The Masquerade (Tzimisce Doctor FTW)

Werewolf: The Apocalypse (Get of Fenris. Need I say more?)

GURPS (One game. Played a ninja with hyperspeed, DM killed me in five minutes.)

Shadowrun (Have had a physad break into, and then out of, with his objective, a megacorp office tower in three rounds total. Story on request.)

Rolled up a character for 7th Sea once, but the game never got put together, so it died.

BattleTech RPG. One game... It was epic. Stole a bug 'Mech and started stomping this base, before a heavier 'Mech showed up, at which point we hauled it outta there.

Drayn
Hero

#7 Post by Drayn » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:31 am

Ooh! All Flesh Must Be Eaten :) Great zombie survival game.

Has anyone ever used roll20? It's a virtual tabletop, most excellent.

ghalt
Master

#8 Post by ghalt » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:44 pm

D&D 2,3, & 4 (I think I'm the only one in the world that liked the fourth iteration.)

Call of Cthulhu (d20 version) (We played the small town we'd grown up being overrun with cthulhonic mysteries, it was great fun. "Something's growing in the abandoned nuclear plant!, etc.")

Savage Worlds--Deadlands, Necessary Evil, a few ad hocs. I generally prefer it to more rules heavy systems nowadays.

Fiasco--this is one of my favorites nowadays, for the sheer banality of adventures, and for how you can get non-rpg geeks to play and have fun. It's definitely not a campaign system, of course.

Eclipse Phase--very interesting sci fi setting. Very complicated rules. >_>