Gaming In General

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

Delia
Overlord

#21 Post by Delia » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:10 pm

While being an 'oldschooler' when in comes to gaming, I do enjoy graphics, But as previously discussed I dislike when it takes over the game itself. If it is a first person shooter, sure graphics are important as it is one of the main aspects of the game. Half-Life did a good job proving otherwise though, there was that something I enjoyed there that stands the test of time for me. Most RPG's haven't really benefitted from graphics after Ultima Underworld, which is STILL one of the best specimens from the genre, perhaps along with System Shock 1. When it comes to strategy/the sorts, I've personally been delighted with Civ4, It is just plain addictive and the mod Fall From Heaven 2 isn't at all bad either. Gaming is nice fun at times, usually I don't have time for anything but Geas though(not that I complain).
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#22 Post by luminier » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:51 pm

lol don't forget chrono trigger delia. one of my favourite games.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Olrane
Champion

Re: Gaming In General

#23 Post by Olrane » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:44 pm

Speaking of (nearly) graphics-less old school games, I also have recently developed an unhealthy addiction to Nethack. Damn, it's so addictively hard.

luminier
Overlord

#24 Post by luminier » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:14 am

iunno i think if i ever wanted to play a game like nethack id just sell my soul back to WoW.

the only reason i play geas is b/c it's differently good and the roleplay is fun most times.

Delia
Overlord

#25 Post by Delia » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:23 am

Once upon a time when there was Amiga 500 I got my hands on a mysterious disk labeled 'Moria'...sooner than I realized the dark lord of ASCII had seized my soul and there was no going back, only another staircase downwards after another.

luminier
Overlord

#26 Post by luminier » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:29 am

delia i believe you are a bigger gamer than me. no easy feat.

tessa
Overlord

#27 Post by tessa » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:50 am

Delia, did you ever try out Angband? :P

Delia
Overlord

#28 Post by Delia » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:13 am

Did I ever :)

And yes, I have been an avid gamer but luckily I did learn tp enjoy real-life and its bounty everyonce in a while.

Delia
Overlord

#29 Post by Delia » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:58 am

Beating the dead kitten...

I downloaded the latest build of the ever-fabulous Dwarf Fortress and...
Z-Axis! All the marvelous feats of engineering never witnessed before! I'm in love with silly bearded guys once more. Already I made a brave new build and set forth, no anvil but a variety of seeds, good skills, lots of alcohol and domesticated animals a plenty. Already my cats gave birth and the dwarves can look forwards to comfortable kitten mittens for the winter season.

And the copper and hematite veins spotted far south seem really lucrative. Just need to do something about the slugmen in the area. Tap the aquifer running there and wash them down river? *cackles gleefully*

tessa
Overlord

#30 Post by tessa » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Oh dear, you hadn't gotten the Z-axis version until now? That was the one I grew up with.

I have to admit, being able to carve out a cave in layers makes life so much easier once you figure out how it's done.

You've made me want to boot up my game again. :P

I had carved out a nice little fortress, and was in the process of fortifying my main entrance and building traps and such for would be invaders.

Cuetlachtli
Veteran

#31 Post by Cuetlachtli » Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Still playing dwarf fortress?

It's one of my love affairs; I couldn't resist commenting. :P

Been playing it on and off for a few years now. My forts usually go something like this: 1.) get the basics going 2.) prepare for a large popluation 3.) become self-sufficient in ag & industry 4.) build something huge 5.) new version comes out, so I have to start all over

:D

Here's one of my favorite old ones. A water tower. Well, a half-built one. I took a snapshot with a 3d viewer right after pulling the lever to turn on the faucet. :mrgreen:

The entire bottom level of that tower was filled with waterwheels to power the pumps too, just remembered that.

Also, love angband and nethack both. Probably play Angband more, but might actually like nethack better, dunno why. Maybe cause I have a cool female gnome mage lvl 23 with tons of cool spellbooks? :P

*geeks out*

Delia
Overlord

#32 Post by Delia » Sun May 17, 2009 12:40 pm

Discovered something called 'Incursion' recently. Seems pretty decent and challenging.

http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/

Delia
Overlord

#33 Post by Delia » Tue May 19, 2009 1:19 am

DF is cool still, but I been having a break for the time being. Too much dwarves began bouncing around...When the next release comes I just might begin anew. Gotta love the relationships in that game btw, dwarven love, yay!