Gaming In General

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

Delia
Overlord

Gaming In General

#1 Post by Delia » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:36 am

I stumbled upon http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves, haven't tried it out yet but it sure looked interesting. If Roguelike dwarftown micromanagement strikes your fancy this is the way to go.

Also Dominions 3 has caught my attention, a large-scale wargame where my great warlock wades slowly towards godhood conjuring demons, raising undead and occasionally sacrificing virgin girls to keep himself young. Great fun!
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Delia
Overlord

#2 Post by Delia » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:57 am

Just tried out Dwarf Fortress...damn if I ever see a game with a steeper learning curve. I felt massive accomplishment after my first (short)tunnel and felled oak.:P
Last edited by Delia on Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

chara
Wizard

#3 Post by chara » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:38 pm

I tried it a little while ago, and I felt the same way! Even referring to the Wiki page about it, I was totally baffled. I gave up. :D

Delia
Overlord

#4 Post by Delia » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:33 am

My fierce dwarves managed to flee from an alligator and struck tin ore when searching for an underground river! Also my farmer dwarf advanced in herbalism. I feel SO proud :) This is a start of a severe addiction.

jezz
Hero

#5 Post by jezz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:55 pm

I don't even want to look at that game... I have a life... I like it... Go away dwarves!!!!! No! don't build more traps! Trolls are coming! Flood that dragon dammit!

Delia
Overlord

#6 Post by Delia » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:52 am

I'm getting too obsessive with Dwarf Fortress...but what the heck, I'll post anyway! My proud dwarves produced their first artifact recently, and here it is.
Otadimik, "handchucks", a Pine bow. This is a Pine bow. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with Pine. This object is adorned with hanging rings of Willow and menaces with spikes of Cedar. On the item is an image of a demon in Pumice. The demon is smeared out into a spiral.
And here is the proud dwarf who crafted it
Nil Idordumat, "Nil Howlrough", Carpenter. Nil Idordumat has been ecstatic lately. He is quite pleased with making an artifact. he has been satisfied at work lately. He admired a fine door lately. He was caught in the rain recently. Nil Idordumat likes Talc, Red spinel, ivory the color cardinal, large daggers and dogs for their loyaly. He absolutely detests flies. He needs alcohol to get through the working day.
***vanishes off in a puff of dust to dig deeper***

tessa
Overlord

#7 Post by tessa » Wed May 21, 2008 12:53 am

I just started playing Dwarf Fortress recently. Good lord is it addicting. It's extremely hard to learn at first, but now that I've got the hang of it, I can't stop expanding my little fortress. The most enjoyable part is the nearly endless possibilities of things that can be created in the game. Death traps, miasma pits, lava floods, babel towers, maze-like labyrinths, collapsable ceilings.. what else can I make?

Future Objective: Declare war on those pesky elves, and construct an underground arena to pit trapped/caged elves against each other or against exotic creatures (hydras, titans, etc.) for the amusement of dwarfkind.

Those treehugging elves will learn to fear the proud dwarven city of Throwpost!

Delia
Overlord

#8 Post by Delia » Wed May 21, 2008 8:07 am

The most important thing to remember in your grand dwarvendom is that the dwarven babies cannot go through the working day without alcohol.

But yes, possibly one of the most addictive games ever.

tessa
Overlord

#9 Post by tessa » Wed May 21, 2008 3:13 pm

I haven't had any babies yet, but I'm sure that'll change as soon as I get my first pair of nobles. It seems all they ever do is make babies, demand impossible mandates, and punish totally random and innocent dwarves to often lethal hammerings.

However, this may be remedied by making the floors of their bedrooms retractable, with a chasm below.. this will be worth experimenting.

Devi
Hero

#10 Post by Devi » Sat May 24, 2008 12:51 pm

I've been a very big fan of this game for a very long time! I'm surprised to see it here.

I even have modified my own tileset. It's a shame some things are only half-implemented (milking... *cough* *cough*), but overall, it's probably my favorite game ever.

I can definitely help with any gameplay questions. (I read the forum every day) :D

tessa
Overlord

#11 Post by tessa » Sat May 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Well, the game is still being continuously updated, so I'm hoping some of the half-finished/uncomplete things will be finished in future updates.

Lately I've taken a small break from Fortress mode and have been trying Adventurer mode. Raiding goblin towers is fun, but some of them have some nasty surprises.

Olrane
Champion

#12 Post by Olrane » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:47 am

I blame all of you for probably not seeing me on Geas again for a while.

tessa
Overlord

#13 Post by tessa » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:03 am

Did you get snagged on Dwarf Fortress?

luminier
Overlord

#14 Post by luminier » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:18 pm

lol how can people play games like dwarf fortress with games like the ones for 360/wii/ps3.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Devi
Hero

#15 Post by Devi » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:47 pm

The same way we play Geas when there are games like Neverwinter Nights.

DF is amazing, and the graphics are helped immensely by a tileset. I suggest everyone get one. :D

tessa
Overlord

#16 Post by tessa » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:11 pm

luminier wrote:lol how can people play games like dwarf fortress with games like the ones for 360/wii/ps3.
Because games like DF are more exciting.

Not everyone feels a game is only a game if it's dependable on graphics. I personally prefer games with less/no graphics, because most of them have a lot more possibilities (imagine trying to make GEAS a 360/wii/ps3 game).

EDIT:

Not to mention, I don't have to pay some $250-750 (+ possible monthly fees for MMORPGS) to play GEAS or Dwarf Fortress.

Delia
Overlord

#17 Post by Delia » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:18 am

Dwarf Fortress - Dig it.

luminier
Overlord

#18 Post by luminier » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:36 am

okay tessa ill give you the more possiblites with gfx in geas. but thats not all i buy those games for (obviously if i play something like geas i am interested in other things)

don't mistake me for one fot he dudes you imagine freaking out cause they just died in halo3.

im one of the dudes who enjoy games like rpgs for the story and not for the gfx like most gamers. gfx are a nice little side dealio however and sometimes i like not having to imagine my stuff on my guy and i like seeing how badass i look which i suppose is liking gfx to some extent. i just like seeing my guy how i see it not someone else perception.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

tessa
Overlord

#19 Post by tessa » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:53 am

luminier wrote:sometimes i like not having to imagine my stuff on my guy and i like seeing how badass i look which i suppose is liking gfx to some extent. i just like seeing my guy how i see it not someone else perception.
That's why I don't like graphics, at least when creating my own personalized character. Sometimes I don't like being "told" how I have to see things, I prefer seeing them how I want to see them. This is one reason why I prefer GEAS over graphics games- I can perceive things in the mud however I like. The same with books, and I love reading immensely.

Granted, there are a few times I do appreciate graphics in games, the few times I actually play them. Preferably those battle tactics-esque games (like chess with extra options, storyline, and the mandatory romance!). Sometimes I like to see how other people perceive things, and it helps me expand my own imagination and creativity in the process.

So, all in all, there's a good side and bad side to both. But your "why do people play DF when they can play 7th generation console games?" comment sounded strongly like "Dude, DF has no graphics, this must mean the game sucks. So why don't you play games that have graphics, because obviously this means they're so much better?" Whether you intended it or not (and yes, I understand that your playing GEAS means you're not that shallow), that's how it came off as.

And really, if you took time to learn DF and play it, you'd probably quickly realize that something of its complexity would be nearly impossible to duplicate into present-day graphics without taking an extraordinary amount of time and energy. 16-bit graphics, maybe. But present-day standards? No way. And when taking into consideration that games like DF can exceed the limitations that graphic games have, is it really surprising that some people enjoy them? Probably not.

Delmon
Champion

#20 Post by Delmon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:29 am

however and sometimes i like not having to imagine my stuff on my guy and i like seeing how badass i look which i suppose is liking gfx to some extent.
I think we can all agree awesome graphics can be good for a game, especially if it's a fps like halo or gears of war, but I think that for free mmogs, no graphics is the way to go. Take a look at Runescape.... *shudder*