Someone help me please!

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

ganandorf
Overlord

Someone help me please!

#1 Post by ganandorf » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:19 pm

im a 16 year old kid, working full time during the summer, in a technical support position, servicing Comcast high speed internet in the states. imagine sitting here 8 hrs a day for 5 days a week listening to ppl complain about how bad their services are. My point? well....
i need something to do, ive tried geas and for some reason it wont load on the geas.de website using the play button or the how to play telnet ap.

anyone know any good clients, that i can use to connect to geas through an internet browser?
i am not allowed to download any clients here like Gmud. or Zmud.

help me please, any advice :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :?:
Meow

vurdijak
Hero

filter

#2 Post by vurdijak » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:27 pm

I'm no tech guy but my guess is they have a filter to block connection to other servers? Maybe an internet filter is preventing you from playing. As for how to bypass that, probably some of the people here know much more.

ganandorf
Overlord

#3 Post by ganandorf » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:30 pm

the wierd part is vurd, that i can access some muds, but for geas it wont let me. i tried like aardwolf, and a couple of others. lots worked, just not geas :( i think the wizards told my boss not to let me open geas, just to get rid of me for a couple hours./

im looking for a url which will maybe let me enter server and port. because i dont wanna have to "hack" into the firewall or whatever, im quitting in a month, but still on probation ;)
Meow

kaspars
Journeyman

#4 Post by kaspars » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:29 am

As far as I remember, you should have Java installed, to get this applet working at all.
If it is installed and isnt working, then my guess is about firewall that normally should be beyond your reach anyway. Messing with it would be bad idea for several reasons.

Chani
Beginner

#5 Post by Chani » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:14 am

They are probably just blocking ports. An easy wasy to get around this is to have a friend with a server, then you can easily forward ports or bounce or whatever it's called.

chara
Wizard

#6 Post by chara » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:02 am

Can you simply telnet? geas.franken.de 3333. You don't need Java or a downloaded client for that.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#7 Post by Abharsair » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:10 am

ganandorf wrote:the wierd part is vurd, that i can access some muds, but for geas it wont let me. i tried like aardwolf, and a couple of others. lots worked, just not geas :( i think the wizards told my boss not to let me open geas, just to get rid of me for a couple hours./

im looking for a url which will maybe let me enter server and port. because i dont wanna have to "hack" into the firewall or whatever, im quitting in a month, but still on probation ;)
You're probably sitting behind a firewall which blocks certain outbound ports. Aardwolf uses both port 4000, which is probably also blocked for you, and 23, which is the default telnet port and which probably works for you. Unfortunately you can reach Geas only through port 3333, so your best chance would be to use a tunnel. To do that, you would need an account on a server somewhere to which you can connect via ssh and a client such as Zmud. If you have access to such an account, let me know and I'll go into the details.

You might also want to check out HTTPort. I don't know if it works or if it's any good, but it seems to do what you would need.

ganandorf
Overlord

#8 Post by ganandorf » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:05 am

hmm koay thanks for your replies. ill take to some guy at work who has been there forever, maybe he can help get me set up with all the server stuff, and port settings. all the such.
Meow

Abharsair
Site Admin

#9 Post by Abharsair » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:06 pm

Horwitz was nice enough to enable port 23 (telnet) for playing Geas. So try "telnet geas.franken.de" and see if it works for you. But if Aardwolf did, then Geas should now too.

isengoo
Champion

#10 Post by isengoo » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:16 pm

Horwitz the...nice wizard?

ganandorf
Overlord

#11 Post by ganandorf » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:35 pm

okay thank you very much
ill try it out on monday okay, because that is when i work next
thanks guys.
horwitz

poGanon
Meow

ganandorf
Overlord

#12 Post by ganandorf » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:28 pm

hmm i tried it today.
http:// aardmud.org:443/
that link, clicked on the java telnet client (aardwolf -connect button) and i am able to get onto that.
when i got to www.geas.de, i first click the play button, that commant prompt screen is blocked, when i go to how to play and click on the telnet button, it still wont open up for me it says contact the admin of the page. or you may be behind a firewall.

looks like the firewall on these systems is blocking that port. but its okay, thank you alot for trying.,

Abharsair
Site Admin

#13 Post by Abharsair » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:15 pm

ganandorf wrote:hmm i tried it today.
http:// aardmud.org:443/
that link, clicked on the java telnet client (aardwolf -connect button) and i am able to get onto that.
when i got to www.geas.de, i first click the play button, that commant prompt screen is blocked, when i go to how to play and click on the telnet button, it still wont open up for me it says contact the admin of the page. or you may be behind a firewall.

looks like the firewall on these systems is blocking that port. but its okay, thank you alot for trying.,
Port 443 is the https (secure http connection) port of web browsers. From what I can see their java applet still connects to port 23. Assuming you run windows on your computers at work, try this: click on "start" -> "run" an then type "telnet geas.franken.de". My guess is that it will work.

ganandorf
Overlord

#14 Post by ganandorf » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:23 pm

Tried that still wont let me get on, does the same thing as the "play" button on the site. i really appreciate all this help but it looks like the firewall is going to keep blocking it.
Meow

Delmon
Champion

#15 Post by Delmon » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:50 pm

Do you have macafee firewall? If so, i can help if it's a port problem... they're really easy to open.

ganandorf
Overlord

#16 Post by ganandorf » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:08 pm

i dont know ill check, its at a work comp so i dont know if im able to change the firewall settings
Meow