the "new" sathos

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

luminier
Overlord

the "new" sathos

#1 Post by luminier » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:31 pm

Hey I would just like to thank everyone ( no specifics ) who, in the face of Aragogs deletion and Kaspars leaving, decided to continue roleplaying the evil side. You guys are doing an awesome job =P
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

endellion
Journeyman

Re: the "new" sathos

#2 Post by endellion » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:29 pm

I want to add my thanks in here as well! Its been a blast running from people again!

Valtiel

#3 Post by Valtiel » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:37 pm

I WILL DESTROY YO- Oh thanks. :O

Olrane
Champion

#4 Post by Olrane » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Always glad to know that there are good people out there. :twisted:

triska
Veteran

#5 Post by triska » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:26 am

As a relatively new player in Geas I have not yet encountered many of the evil players although that does seem to be changing.

One thing I will ask though is 'why' do the evils consider spreading disease fun?

I personally am tired of having to sit for however long it takes to ride out the disease just cause Gerrit is infected and walks around the best part of the world giving it to everyone he meets. You get over one infection move and find that you walk into it again cause the latest people he infected are only just developing the symptoms, Hiding in places where you can ride it out and wondering how much longer to wait before its safe to move is not real interesting.

I dont see where it is good roleplay when the person that infects him doesnt even see who is infected most of the time so what exactly is gained from it except to annoy people who have no quarrel with the evils in the first place.

Its tiresome and boring !
Laughter is the best gift to give anyone and its free!

jezz
Hero

#6 Post by jezz » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:37 am

Hello,

Plague is one of the aspects of Sathonys. Spreading plague and diseases is part of the "satho fun".

Beeing "neutral" is no longer a protection for the chars to avoid conflict with sathos ;) Avoiding those plagues at Forostar would require constant patrols to hunt possible satho "plague-spreading sessions".

Life is hard :) Better die!

Zengo
Professional

#7 Post by Zengo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:00 am

I think Jezz summed it up.

Geas is not a world where you can sit and chat with your friends constantly and have a jolly good time and have no worries at all. It is a fantasy world. Your character may face struggles and problems.

If your character has a problem with the Sathonys Church spreading disease and plague then you have the opportunity to do something about it. You have many options. You can join them and their cause, or you can fight against them. Those are not the only two options, in fact your choices are unlimited.

I know of numerous times that they have been beaten down by numerous characters and guilds and their life became so hard they stayed on the tundra for a very long time, leaving everyone alone.

They are a church that spreads death and etc....
The current and active ones are also doing a very good job of it.

If your char is "annoyed" by them, then find a way to "annoy" them back.
Get revenge, or push them to the point they are forced to leave you alone.

Zengo
Professional

#8 Post by Zengo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:12 am

triska wrote: I dont see where it is good roleplay when the person that infects him doesnt even see who is infected most of the time so what exactly is gained from it except to annoy people who have no quarrel with the evils in the first place.
Well, if the Sathonites keep spreading the plague around to innocent citizens, children, mothers etc......any normal or sane person would have a "quarrel" with that. I think for almost any sane or normal person in a fantasy world such as GEAS they would have a hard time ignoring everything that goes on around them for the sake of convenience.

I really hate to use the statement "I do not see how it is good roleplay"
but since it was already mentioned in this thread then oh well.
I really don't see how it is good roleplay for some characters that are supposed to have honor or morals or anything of that sort to ignore what thieves/Sathonites do as easily as they do. I know for a long time people would sit in Arborea or at the crossing and and have the mentality of "I hate the Crusaders because they harass my friends for stealing and backstabbing, but I love the Sathonites because they smile at me and they hate the Crusaders"
They completely ignored everything happening for the sake of their own convenience until it negatively affected them......IE, being plagued.

The Sathonys Priests are as much a part of this fantasy world as any of us are. They are making the mud interesting and being very active.

sun
Master

#9 Post by sun » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:46 pm

triska wrote:One thing I will ask though is 'why' do the evils consider spreading disease fun?

I dont see where it is good roleplay when the person that infects him doesnt even see who is infected most of the time so what exactly is gained from it except to annoy people who have no quarrel with the evils in the first place.

Its tiresome and boring !
I consider it good roleplay to spread the plague - that is satho core business. And for the matter I actually find it fun that something happens, especially when it's not "just" about the direct attacks (or the "run before other players get near").

What bothers me is the "it's okay to RP whatever you want" thing, while as soon as it actually starts affecting another character (more than just cosmetic), then we hear the whines. "It's ok, be evil... but hey, don't be mean to me". I mean, why play at all? It's easy as hell to avoid trouble. Just climb a tree and sit there on a branch and chat. But that's hardly playing, is it? The difficult part is to get something going and pull out some RP. There needs to be a little conflict and tensions. Spreading plague is especially credible in my opinion since those characters probably risk their lives to do something which probably don't even kill/capture other characters. It earns more like a big thanks for doing it. Hell, I would be delighted for a few drops of poison in my drink.

If you are being a blowtorch in the ass of "neutrals", you have my 100%s support. That's exactly what is needed. Terror is wonderful. Go Jezz & Co!

adanath
Champion

#10 Post by adanath » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:42 pm

I don't see why evil characters are finally being dastardly evil and now all of a sudden people are upset..why? Because they are evil? They are friggin evil! What is so hard to understand about that. Roleplay wise they don't care if you want to hunt them or not, they are EVIL..EVIL..EVIL! It would be perfectly good role-play for them to just capture and kill you or spread the disease everywhere they can. If you don't like that EVIL affects you, then do something about it. Hunt them, find them, report it. Help people hunt them. Otherwise start acting like you care that evil is evil. Just because someone decides to be apathetic towards the morality of the world when it doesn't affect them doesn't mean others will be apathetic towards them.

Valtiel

#11 Post by Valtiel » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:49 pm

Plague? What's this plague? I think that's all a bunch of rubbish. You all should go out and buy a bunch of gerrit's fish right now, they're perfectly fresh I swear it! :twisted:

Zengo
Professional

#12 Post by Zengo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:02 pm

You know, I probably would have eaten the fish.......until now!

You ruined it for me!

:cry:

sun
Master

#13 Post by sun » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:40 pm

adanath wrote:I don't see why evil characters are finally being dastardly evil and now all of a sudden people are upset..why? Because they are evil? ...
The problem is that the difficulty levels in Geas are something like:
Evil: Hard
Good: Hard
Neutral: Daddy can I play?

Being evil means you got all conditions in the MUD set against you. NPC's will kill you, legal systems sentence you, got less areas, etc. That is good. This is for hardcore players who likes risks. Not everyone can be evil. It should be mysterious and rare. And it's needed for balance, or otherwise everyone would be raiding around eachother.

Being good mostly means you stand up for some (fictive) morals/values which is the simplest way of becoming hated by everyone on the MUD. Although I think being should mean having an easy ride, being protected by all kinds of mechanisms while having access to just about all areas. There's the downside of not being able to kill someone and grab his loot, but you get what I mean. It should be something like "easy" difficulty.

Being neutral is extremely simple because you do not make any noise or disturb anyone unless you want to. Kiling trolls and generally surviving isn't really that hard. The problem is, being "neutral" should be more like a life-risky balance between good and evil, rather than not anything of each. However, it is usually the role you slip into when you don't consciously make up your character or just powergame about... So when a neutral guy gets attacked by an evil guy it's almost like an OOC offense, while it should be the most natural thing in the world. These are free prey! They are not protected by goodies! Even goodies should probably sometimes be hunting those who do not cooperate.

It's just far too easy to remain in the middle taking no risks (and thereby creating no RP), so that is why I think it's great when some evil (or good) character sets their asses on fire. If you really wanna be neutral, fine, but live with the consequences. You're free prey and an easy catch, especially for bad guys. If you don't want to be in the middle, like others said, do something about it.

EDIT: Why is this "OOC chat", it's not OOC chat?! :-)

stilgar
Champion

#14 Post by stilgar » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:22 am

Well.. all the matter of opinions.

Play a Zhakrinite.. so you're HAVE to choose the momentarily weaker side to maintain Balance. Not to mention.. you have no:
- code support, just pure RP...
- clergy to back you up
- holy warriors to save your butt..

good luck :twisted: Plus.. both sides hate you for beeing Neutral and support the "other side" form time to time

Good: Easy
Bad: Easy
Neutral: Hard like hell...

Feel free to prove I'm not right :lol:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

luminier
Overlord

#15 Post by luminier » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:30 am

Whats "Zhakrin"?
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

tessa
Overlord

#16 Post by tessa » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:44 am

Those types of 'Zhakrinites' tend to bring the trouble on themselves.

stilgar
Champion

#17 Post by stilgar » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:31 am

Seems like we agree on my terms :wink:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

tessa
Overlord

#18 Post by tessa » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:19 am

I see your point now. I agree wholeheartedly that aggressive neutral chars are hard to play in their own right. But, I think passive neutral chars are well... about as easy as you can get. And the latter are the type Sun was referring to.

isengoo
Champion

#19 Post by isengoo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:51 pm

It disappoints me that Zhakrin is so poorly developed in Geas. For anyone who plays a Zhakrinite, I highly suggest reading some Spinoza.

Delmon
Champion

#20 Post by Delmon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:10 pm

Much harder to be a lilithian follower than zhakrin