MMA on Primetime

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

gojin
Master

MMA on Primetime

#1 Post by gojin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:07 pm

Curious if anyone follows the sport and/or if they have an opinion of its recent move to primetime U.S. tv?

Personally I love how popular its gotten the last few years though I am apprehensive about the particular promotion that is shown on CBS(they seem kind of corny and promote the shows in too much of an exploitive manner). I will admit their latest show had very solid fights and an improved overall production value.

Opinions?

isengoo
Champion

Re: MMA on Primetime

#2 Post by isengoo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:04 am

I much preferred when Fedor was with PRIDE, but as a casual observer this is all good stuff. I love that Fedor just destroyed Sylvia in like 30 seconds, lol. He can't be stopped.

luminier
Overlord

#3 Post by luminier » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:14 am

i watch some UFC, usually w/e they go on spike but i ordered the UFC 86 with forrest and jackson, that was a nice nice fight. jackson looked like he was taking it easy on forrest though.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Ancale
Beginner

#4 Post by Ancale » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:29 pm

I like it when they dont spend their entire time on the floor grappling. I prefer some technique to be shown. But thats the Martial artist in me.

Zengo
Professional

#5 Post by Zengo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:01 pm

isengoo wrote:I much preferred when Fedor was with PRIDE, but as a casual observer this is all good stuff. I love that Fedor just destroyed Sylvia in like 30 seconds, lol. He can't be stopped.

Actually, it was 36 seconds.

"I don't even think he is human"
Tim Sylvia, after his fight with Fedor.

Yeah, I follow MMA pretty closely.

Zengo
Professional

#6 Post by Zengo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:05 pm

gojin wrote:
Personally I love how popular its gotten the last few years though I am apprehensive about the particular promotion that is shown on CBS(they seem kind of corny and promote the shows in too much of an exploitive manner). I will admit their latest show had very solid fights and an improved overall production value.

Opinions?
EliteXC is one of the worst main-stream organizations around. Not a good company to be shown on TV to the casual observer. Gary Shaw will hire any fighter that has been banned from other organizations.

sun
Master

#7 Post by sun » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:24 pm

Ancale wrote:I like it when they dont spend their entire time on the floor grappling. I prefer some technique to be shown. But thats the Martial artist in me.
There is no more "technique" than what happens on the floor.. :shock:

At least not that matters.. :P

gojin
Master

#8 Post by gojin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:05 am

I much preferred when Fedor was with PRIDE, but as a casual observer this is all good stuff. I love that Fedor just destroyed Sylvia in like 30 seconds, lol. He can't be stopped.
Yeah, Fedor is a beast. I wish he had more of a following in the US. It would make for more of a push for the fight vs. Couture to happen already. Or actually the one I want to see would be Fedor v. Minotauro 4.
EliteXC is one of the worst main-stream organizations around. Not a good company to be shown on TV to the casual observer.
Sadly, I would have to agree. I hate the way they promote the sport like its a freakshow. Its difficult to argue for MMA being legitimate to a 50yr old colleague when the only fighter they know is Kimbo Slice :roll: Even when they have a top 10 fighter like Jake Shields they put him on the undercard... what the hell was up with that?

Zengo
Professional

#9 Post by Zengo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:51 am

Sadly, I would have to agree. I hate the way they promote the sport like its a freakshow. Its difficult to argue for MMA being legitimate to a 50yr old colleague when the only fighter they know is Kimbo Slice :roll: Even when they have a top 10 fighter like Jake Shields they put him on the undercard... what the hell was up with that?[/quote]

I think "Mount-Choke-Tap" was highly anticipated already, and Jake Shields is highly under rated.

Also, Kimbo Slice should just be thrown into there with Antonio Silva. Forget all the hype, let him test himself against someone who is decently accomplished.

At least EliteXC is encouraging the UFC to show more free cards.

UFC 89 is on Spike, but the card isn't that stacked.

luminier
Overlord

#10 Post by luminier » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:09 pm

i can't really see it, but i know theres tons of technique when they are grappling and on the ground trying to submit. i don't wrestle except casually with my wrestler friend to get my ass kicked so like i said i can't see it.

but striker against striker is always a fun fight to watch for me.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

gojin
Master

#11 Post by gojin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:50 pm

i can't really see it, but i know theres tons of technique when they are grappling and on the ground trying to submit.
I could go for weeks trying to explain the ground game. If you are really interested pm me.
Also, Kimbo Slice should just be thrown into there with Antonio Silva. Forget all the hype, let him test himself against someone who is decently accomplished.

At least EliteXC is encouraging the UFC to show more free cards.
Antonio would destroy Mr. Slice. I know alot of people who would like to see that fight happen. As for competition with the UFC, I guess EliteXC serves its purpose, even if I dont like how they go about it. Ive heard that Ultimate Fight Night will become a bi-weekly thing starting in 09. If so that means plenty of free MMA + alot of fighters getting a chance since the UFC would have to boost their roster.

Zengo
Professional

#12 Post by Zengo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:28 am

Actually, the UFC just cut around 100 fighters (maybe more, maybe less) only keeping the ones with the most potential or the ones that have already made a name for themselves. Should leave some interesting fights.
That does not include letting people out of their contract like Tim Sylvia, and others that opted not to resign like Tito Ortiz, or AA.

If UFN does become a a bi weekly thing though, they will probably have to beef up their rosters again.

This means a smaller roster, so the fighters will get to fight more than 2 or 3 times a year now. I think they are also trying to schedule more events towards the end of the year. I know that UFC 89 will be live on Spike, then I think UFC 90 is the week after that but on PPV.

Oh yeah....if GSP beats Fitch in two weeks, it will likely lead to GSP vs Penn II.
I can't wait to see that.

Ancale
Beginner

#13 Post by Ancale » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:59 am

Okay, I know there is technique to ground fighting, but Im just a striker kinda girl. Its more fun to watch someone get pounded that way... But like I said, with my martial arts study, we dont do alot of ground work (although we do do some), so its just my preference. :oops:

Zengo
Professional

#14 Post by Zengo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:19 pm

Bah!

It doesn't get anymore technical than grappling.

You all just want to witness some violence!

sun
Master

#15 Post by sun » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:52 pm

Zengo wrote:Bah!

It doesn't get anymore technical than grappling.

You all just want to witness some violence!
That's what I'm saying! The floor is the shit! Not that I know anything about martial arts or UFC :D. But I do enjoy watching.. however, even I realize that there is a lof of "hidden" technique that happens on the floor. I heard that these brazilian wrestling techniques are supposed to be good.

But the ultimate martial arts is, in my opinion, chess boxing. Okay, if there ever was something like chess -UFC, I would go for that. But this seems to be the most true martial arts since it combines both mental and physical warfare.

Zengo
Professional

#16 Post by Zengo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:25 pm

Bah!

MMA is a human chess match!

It is more mental than physical!

sun
Master

#17 Post by sun » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:49 pm

Zengo wrote:Bah!

MMA is a human chess match!

It is more mental than physical!
Since I am quite decent at chess I should have a good chance vs a UFC fighter then? ;-)

Yes, I know what you mean. All sports are mental. But in few sports the mentals are the main contents.

Zengo
Professional

#18 Post by Zengo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:57 pm

In most interviews the fighters state that it is roughly "70% mental, and 30% physical"

However, it could be hard to think while you are getting kicked in the face.

gojin
Master

#19 Post by gojin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:17 pm

Since I am quite decent at chess I should have a good chance vs a UFC fighter then? :wink:
Actually... yes. Or at the very least you would have much less of a learning curve than the average person who attempts to learn BJJ. It is a very move/counter move oriented game with a limited(though ever expanding) number of options for every situation you find yourself in. The ultimate goal of course being to 'check-mate' your opponent.

I would go as far to say I would place money on a very good chess player(in decent shape) with 2 weeks of jits class over someone who wrestled in high school. That is grappling only however.

MMA adds another dimension. Imagine playing a game of chess where once its your turn your opponent has the opportunity to punch you in your face, your only defence being to make the proper move. *ponder*.. *ponder*.. *WHACK* ..*ponder*.. *WHACK* sounds like fun huh?

Olrane
Champion

#20 Post by Olrane » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:11 pm

Ow. I'm not that good at chess or fighting. *hides*