MMA on Primetime

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

sun
Master

Re: MMA on Primetime

#21 Post by sun » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:36 pm

gojin wrote:
Since I am quite decent at chess I should have a good chance vs a UFC fighter then? :wink:
Actually... yes. Or at the very least you would have much less of a learning curve than the average person who attempts to learn BJJ. It is a very move/counter move oriented game with a limited(though ever expanding) number of options for every situation you find yourself in. The ultimate goal of course being to 'check-mate' your opponent.

I would go as far to say I would place money on a very good chess player(in decent shape) with 2 weeks of jits class over someone who wrestled in high school. That is grappling only however.

MMA adds another dimension. Imagine playing a game of chess where once its your turn your opponent has the opportunity to punch you in your face, your only defence being to make the proper move. *ponder*.. *ponder*.. *WHACK* ..*ponder*.. *WHACK* sounds like fun huh?

Even if I knew what BJJ was, I think my poorly trained body would not give much of resistance (other than perhaps throwing a well-aimed rook in the head of the enemy, since I am at least decent with dart). My best chance would probably be to use my superior linguistical skills to convince my foe that attacking is a mistake (although that would have to be in my native language of course).

But okay I understand your thought. There are probably some similiarities with chess. I would probably like to do martial arts, if I only had the time and energy to work-out..

But, did you know that chess also drains physical energy? The best grand masters do regular work-out to improve their concentratin abilities.

Sorry, if I drift away from the subject..

eirikeld
Professional

#22 Post by eirikeld » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:05 pm

Time is a problem none of us can fix, but you'd be surprised how much energy you will have as you start.

Having done a few basics in a few styles of martial activities, I can say it is more mental than many think. Further, I have spoken with fighter pilots, those who fly the mach 2 jets in combat. They say it is horribly mental, far more so than people think. It's not so much move counter move, but even broader. You are constantly juggling, weighing, and then executing options.

As for grand masters working out, that is the lesser seen side of the martial arts take, build the body to build the mind. The romans had a saying some 2000 years ago... Mens sana in corpore sanum. Loosely meaning... healthy mind in a healthy body. The link is well explored in numerous cultures.

luminier
Overlord

#23 Post by luminier » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:31 pm

I thought that was the greeks that made that up first. didnt' some philosopher say "Strong body, Strong mind?"
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Staltos
Professional

#24 Post by Staltos » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:09 pm

The Romans took a lot of things from the Greeks, so whatever.
"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers."

-The Hospitaller, Kingdom of Heaven

Naga
Hero

#25 Post by Naga » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:23 pm

Sanus is a 1st/2nd declension adjective, so the form modifying corpore (ablative singular, third declension neuter) should be "sano."

Naga
Hero

#26 Post by Naga » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:32 pm

However, as Latin was originally written without any punctuation, we may take your utterance as meaningful, but in an unexpected way...

Mens sana in corpore. Sanum!

A sound mind in a body. A sound (thing/person)!

In this case, we take "sanum" to be a substantivized adjective, acting like a noun in all respects. It is not vocative, however... That would be Sane! ("O, sound man!") So it is not something being directly addressed. Rather, this is the accusative of exclamation, used when the speaker wishes to draw attention to something, but without a verb. The accusative is the end-point of the action, but the action itself is not included. Cicero writes, "Me miserum!" ("Wretched me!")

Naga
Hero

#27 Post by Naga » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm going crazy...

Ancale
Beginner

#28 Post by Ancale » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:42 pm

Going? Naga you've been gone a long time!

Olrane
Champion

#29 Post by Olrane » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:23 pm

Naga, you never cease to entertain.

Grindel
Veteran

#30 Post by Grindel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:40 pm

Well, Nagas posts are the only ones I understand in this thread... :?

eirikeld
Professional

#31 Post by eirikeld » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:58 pm

And I've been skooled by Naga. Not all that surprising, given that I had one semester of latin, some um.. 13 years ago in junior college.

rafael
Professional

#32 Post by rafael » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:44 pm

Naga wrote:I'm going crazy...
And i'm forgetting my latin... *sigh*

luminier
Overlord

#33 Post by luminier » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:52 pm

And I still can't believe it's not butter!
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Zengo
Professional

#34 Post by Zengo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:07 am

For anyone interested in this thread........

It is now official at UFC 91 Brock Lesnar (yes, that freakishly huge ex-pro wrestler) vs Randy Couture (he finally resigned after a 1 year tantrum) for the Heavyweight title.

This will put people in seats, but WTF is Zuffa thinking?

vurdijak
Hero

#35 Post by vurdijak » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:12 am

I thought Lesnar got submitted with an ankle lock like two fights ago. How is a contender for the title all the sudden?

Zengo
Professional

#36 Post by Zengo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:17 am

Yeah, Frank Mir subbed him with a knee bar two fights ago. He beat Herring his last fight. Werdum is the #1 contender, he is completely overlooked. The heavyweight division is so shallow at the moment though.

It is Couture vs Lesner for the title, and Big Nog vs Mir for the intertim title. The winners of both fight to unify the belts.

Also, Fedor did not sign for a 1 fight deal, and the UFC will not have him sign any type of contract right now. He did agree to come for 1 fight though, against Randy. No idea when it will take place or if it will have special rules though. It will be in the Octagon though.

It may be in 2009, when the UFC heads back to Japan. You know, since Fedor loves Japan and Japan loves Fedor.

Fedor agreeing to fight Randy was the deciding factor in Randy resigning.
I actually think that it is in Randy's contract that he will get to fight Fedor, or the current contract is null.

Just because Dana White says Fedor hasn't signed anything, does not mean he hasn't. After all.....right now they are re-negotiating with Tito Ortiz after they claimed for the last 3 years he will never be allowed to fight there again.

gojin
Master

#37 Post by gojin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:06 am

It is now official at UFC 91 Brock Lesnar (yes, that freakishly huge ex-pro wrestler) vs Randy Couture (he finally resigned after a 1 year tantrum) for the Heavyweight title.

This will put people in seats, but WTF is Zuffa thinking?
Zuffa is thinking that this will put people in seats, and people will buy the pay per view, and it will finally be covered on ESPN(Randy and Brock were guests on Mike&Mike the other day), and that people will talk about it... but mostly they are thinking about the boatloads of cash that this fight will bring them.
I thought Lesnar got submitted with an ankle lock like two fights ago. How is a contender for the title all the sudden?
Well he did sort of SMASH a very experieced and credentialed fighter in Heath Herring. The heavyweight division is light in the pockets though id argue that with Randy's return and Feydor a possibility(if he fights once in the UFC he stays) its as good or better than what Affliction has right now. Werdum has perhaps paid his dues more than Lesnar but noone really knows him and his last fight ended in less than pleasing fashion.

Lesnar is raw and I dont personally like his attitude but the guy is freakishly huge and athletic. He was able to dominate Herring(a big heavyweight) with just his size and athleticism and I think he will do the same with Randy. To be honest, even as inexperienced as he is, I dont see any heavyweight(with the possible exception of Feydor) beating Lesnar with anything other than a submission.

Remember Randy fights at 206 sometimes. As a heavyweight he will be 220-225lbs. Lesnar cuts weight to get to the 265 limit and comes into the ring about 280-300. Thats too much size. You really think Randy can do anything in the clinch(his bread and butter) with him? A bad fight for Randy to come back to as far as win/loss goes. He will make bank from it though and from his subsequent lost to Feydor as well. Then he will retire again only this time a few million $ richer.

Zengo
Professional

#38 Post by Zengo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Well, Randy fought at 205 years ago. He has been around the 225lb mark for the last few years. However, Lesnar does cut......that is correct. He is freakishly huge, and has such raw talent. Randy, on the other hand is world class in his wrestling. He is someone that Brock has never dreamed of facing before.

Never count Randy out. Sure he is the underdog. He has been the underdog in every fight for the last few years. Although, I am not sure if he can handle Brocks size though.

I am rooting for Randy (like always). Although I think Brock may donkey punch his ass into the ER this fight.

Zengo
Professional

#39 Post by Zengo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 pm

Anyone else highly enjoy Neer vs Diaz?

vurdijak
Hero

#40 Post by vurdijak » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:54 am

Very much so. Diaz's spinning escape move worked nearly every time he did it, and you could tell Neer was frustrated. Their grappling on the ground, with move after move after countermove etc. makes me wish even more there was some way to grapple in Geas. They both landed a few good bombs standing but Diaz won the ground game and deserved to win the fight.