Luminier/Alts

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

vurdijak
Hero

Re: Luminier/Alts

#121 Post by vurdijak » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:42 pm

"If the US Army wanted to conquer me, I am not sure I would stand a chance against them

Maybe if the German Army tried........I could put up a good fight"

You might stand a chance against the Polish army, unless we install our 'defensive' missile silos there.

In any discussion about guns, it should be mentioned yet again that our vice president, a gun advocate and hunter, shot his buddy in the face a few years back. Sadly, I believe that man died. Not that this proves anyone wrong or right. It just shows that guns are dangerous weapons even in the hands of experienced users.

A couple of Europeans in this thread mentioned they have been attacked at least a few times by someone without guns. Is this common over there? Are we talking about bar fights, or does every European at some point get beaten or robbed unprovoked?

tessa
Overlord

#122 Post by tessa » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:46 pm

I have Ram's description to see him a greenish blue and I emote him becoming a deeper shade of blue on the occasion that he gets angry.
Or shy. ;) I remember it used to be a hobby of Tessa to make him blush by hugging him.

(Yes, I admit I'm part of the 'tshaharks are cuddly' problem)

And yes, tshaharks do come in various colours. Astrid is gray, Malys is black, Adanath/Ramandu are bluish-green, Yeger is green, Korsario is silverish-green. I forget if some of the others had specific colours or not.

Staltos
Professional

#123 Post by Staltos » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:06 am

vurdijak wrote:"If the US Army wanted to conquer me, I am not sure I would stand a chance against them

Maybe if the German Army tried........I could put up a good fight"

You might stand a chance against the Polish army, unless we install our 'defensive' missile silos there.

In any discussion about guns, it should be mentioned yet again that our vice president, a gun advocate and hunter, shot his buddy in the face a few years back. Sadly, I believe that man died. Not that this proves anyone wrong or right. It just shows that guns are dangerous weapons even in the hands of experienced users.

A couple of Europeans in this thread mentioned they have been attacked at least a few times by someone without guns. Is this common over there? Are we talking about bar fights, or does every European at some point get beaten or robbed unprovoked?
Actually, he didn't die from the wound, because it was bird shot, hardly lethal. I find it kind of funny because he offered Cheney a formal appology after he was released from the hospital for the bad publicity that resulted. Anyways, I think he got shot more in the side of the head, towards the top as a result of him walking in front of the gun. Stupid things happen, especially when you don't pay attention. Both of them could have been more careful.

Oh, and being attacked with weapons other than guns seems to happen alot in New Mexico. Of all the murders in the news, most of them seem to be knife attacks, unconventional weapons, or just plain being beat to death. As far as gun ownership in this state, it's pretty lax. You can actually own an assault rifle after sending a few forms to the state government and getting a background check. Also, I've seen gun stores sell fully automatic belt fed 30mm guns. The type you would mount on an armored vehicle... On the illegal side, it's frighteningly easy if expensive to get live grenades... which as far as I know, aren't legal anywhere in the states.
"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers."

-The Hospitaller, Kingdom of Heaven

Sairina
Hero

#124 Post by Sairina » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:37 am

I think that their point was, that the only attacks they knew of did not involve any guns (even though the argument was that bad guys would still have illegal guns if they were forbidden). I have never been attacked, armed or unarmed, nor have I ever witnessed anything like it. Unless you count barfights by people too drunk to seriously hurt anyone.
So: it appears to be rather rare, but it does depend on where you are, of course. Unprovoked attacks do happen in certain places. There's violent idiots in any country, I guess. And I'm happy that the german ones don't have any guns.

Naga
Hero

#125 Post by Naga » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:32 am

Well into July (I'm unsure of current figures), there had been an average of one Chicago Public Schools student shot per day this summer. It's catastrophic, and I can't help but feel that if gun ownership rates were lower, fewer guns would make it onto the street, and more of those kids would be alive. Many of the guns on the street, even illegal owned ones, were once legal, but changed hands through theft or other means.

It might be noted that as things stand now, Chicago has no concealed carry, and local gun shops are not permitted to sell handguns.

tessa
Overlord

#126 Post by tessa » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:56 am

Well, it may help stop illegal contribution of firearms over land, but I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of illegal goods come from oversea transporting. And taking that into consideration, a steady flow of oversea contribution would probably lead to steady land contribution.. so I'm not sure if limiting gun ownership would really stop most felons.

ganandorf
Overlord

#127 Post by ganandorf » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Here's a stupid one that comes to you from canada:
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada ... ?id=769518

very smart how they give a person who was treated or sought medical attention a weapon, that's awesome
Meow

Staltos
Professional

#128 Post by Staltos » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:50 pm

whenever I think of Canada, I think of this:
"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers."

-The Hospitaller, Kingdom of Heaven

tessa
Overlord

#129 Post by tessa » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:19 pm

If the upcoming election doesn't go the way I want it to, I'll be moving to Canada.

And before anyone butts in with a comment on this subject, I highly recommend not turning this into a debate over which presidential candidate is better or which one sucks ass, otherwise I'm very sure this thread will quickly derail into a bloody battlefield between any Democratic and Republican posters.

isengoo
Champion

#130 Post by isengoo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:30 pm

I'm voting for McCain because Palin is a soon to be GILF.

ganandorf
Overlord

#131 Post by ganandorf » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:33 pm

LOL < all im going to say < and that
Meow

Grindel
Veteran

#132 Post by Grindel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:57 am

I am reading in an american forum about musical instruments that strictly forbids talk about religion and politics.

Now I wonder: Is it because it is bound to create fights, or is it generally considered impolite to talk about religion/politics in the US?

tessa
Overlord

#133 Post by tessa » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:12 am

It's because US people are generally sensitive, protective, and prideful about their chosen religion and political party, and take any negative comments personally and instantly go on the offensive. It's stupid, but lately it feels American politics aren't so much about who has better plans for the country, but rather who can insult and belittle the other the most.

isengoo
Champion

#134 Post by isengoo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:15 am

Obama is dumb.

tessa
Overlord

#135 Post by tessa » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:24 am

I'll play it safe and vote for Paris Hilton.

Grindel
Veteran

#136 Post by Grindel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:40 am

There are no such discussions in Germany as everyone is tired of politics. No matter what you vote for, the parties do the same thing in the end, just securing their own power instead of working for the country.

In earlier times, kings pretended to be instated by god, today the political class pretends to be instated by the people. Gives a nice modern appearance.

vurdijak
Hero

#137 Post by vurdijak » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:49 am

Are there laws in Germany that prohibit the government from monitoring the communications of private citizens without strong justification?

Zengo
Professional

#138 Post by Zengo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:52 am

isengoo wrote:Obama is dumb.

I have a newfound respect for you.

Grindel
Veteran

#139 Post by Grindel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:23 pm

Are there laws in Germany that prohibit the government from monitoring the communications of private citizens without strong justification?
Yes, there needs to be strong justification, approved by a judge, but they are constantly working on new laws to make it easier. There is also a debate about using trojan horses to spy on computers...

The politicians here can't get enough of that stuff and justify it with that vage and always the same threat of terror. We need to give our fingerprint to be added in our passports on an rfid-chip. The new, obligatory id card will feature that, too. In 5 years we will not be able to walk around freely without any laptop-owner being able to track every movement and content of one's purse. Huzzah!

isengoo
Champion

#140 Post by isengoo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:47 pm

lol RFID is so easily hackable - I'd have fun pretending to be Herr Köhler when that happens, to show the idiocy of it.