SEX ED

Feeling lonely and want to chat? That's your place to go then. Can't be off-topic enough to not be posted here.

Moderator: Wizards

ramandu
Professional

SEX ED

#1 Post by ramandu » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:58 pm

The recent election got me thinking and I was editing my newly formed facebook page -- it is oddly addicting to and voyeuristic to see what all the folks that you never thought you were ever going to see right there on your computer screen. Regardless, I began to muse about my old life as a teacher and Palin's pregnant daughter. My thoughts are as follows:

In the North Carolina, "abstinence may make the heart grow fonder," is the policy of no sex ed in schools. To me, it is a visibly flawed and failing system that places a virtual gag order on any teacher who feels the need to answer questions candidly. I wonder what we are trying to protect our youth from other than to allow myth and ignorance to fester . . . and perhaps allowing parents to believe that their son or daughter is safe in their assumed virginity.

I am curious to know what other countries and states allow and teach.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

tessa
Overlord

Re: SEX ED

#2 Post by tessa » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:52 pm

While I think it's better to teach kids of such subjects, I'm really doubtful if it has any significant effect on stopping teenaged sex or whatever. 99.9% teens are probably going to give into peer pressure. Or, they'd be too drunk to care/really realize what they're doing.

isengoo
Champion

#3 Post by isengoo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:52 pm

Fact: telling teenagers about proper condam use makes them have the sex more often.

Just like telling them about the dangers of drug addiction makes them automatically try heroin.

:roll:

ramandu
Professional

#4 Post by ramandu » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:52 pm

isengoo wrote:Fact: telling teenagers about proper condom use makes them have the sex more often.
Not sure if that was said in jest. While the data is weak about effectiveness as there are so many variables, there are several fairly well studied programs that are identified in the literature.

One of the more successful programs is a Californian program called Reducing the Risk is a 16-session, high school education curriculum designed to reduce the frequency of unprotected sexual intercourse through the following:
1) delaying or reducing the frequency of intercourse
2) increasing contraceptive and STI-protection.

13 California high schools were studied and teens’ knowledge and communication with parents regarding abstinence and contraception increased. In addition, the program significantly reduced the likelihood that students who had not had intercourse at the start of the program would become sexually active by the 18-month follow-up assessment. The major limitation was that the frequency of sexual intercourse or the use of contraceptives among teens who were already sexually active did not change.

-- Kirby D, et al. 1991. Reducing the Risk: impact of a new curriculum on sexual risk taking. Fam. Plan. Perspect. 23:253–63

And as for Tessa's post, if 99% of teens will give in to peer pressure (I think that is a bit high), then we ought to allow them access to the knowledge that wil keep them safe. Those teens who have only had "abstinence only education" or who have signed those promise contracts are less likely to use condoms when they have sex. When 1 out of 4 teens in the US has an STD, this is risky on several levels.

tessa
Overlord

#5 Post by tessa » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:24 am

I meant 99.9% of teens who have teenaged sex, not 99.9% of all teens in the world.

Educating them what to expect though, I agree with. But if the goal is try to teach them abstinence, I think it's going to have only minimal effects.

Abharsair
Site Admin

#6 Post by Abharsair » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:26 am

I severely doubt teaching "abstinence" to teens works, as seen recently in a quite famous case. The question is only: will they be ignorant (uneducated) and have sex, or will they know how to avoid STDs and pregnancies and have sex? I kinda prefer the latter.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Naga
Hero

#7 Post by Naga » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:40 am

Well, when I was ten the school showed a film, not going into great detail, but basically covering the changing body, with only minimal emphasis on intercourse. I had not yet reached the onset of puberty. After that, there was nothing. I was given a book on human sexuality and God as a gift from my grandmother, published by the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod.

That's it, really. My conscience is ambivalent with respect to contraceptives and I am not even sure how to put on a condom, and don't care to know. I figure they come with instructions... I did see one in person once, and I was playfully smacked in the face with it. It was black and chocolate-flavored. The over-sweet scent was tempered with that skunky, dental-office latex stink. So sterile!

I'm not a total prude, however. I relish in fringe sexual practices, not because I find them attractive, but because they are obscene. I make crude drawings, mock homosexuals and cuckolds in private company, and am always ready to make some untoward jest about incest or sexual abuse of children. I've even met one of the most prominent Sado-Masochism gurus in America at a two-hour discussion of maybe 15 people. His slave got the door for me and pushed in my chair. The poor man actually derives pleasure vicariously---giving someone the satisfaction of dominating him, even if it is painful, even if it injures him, even if he does not enjoy the act itself one bit and even writhes in agony, pleasures him.

Anyway, what I mean to say is that America's schools, judging by test scores compared internationally, should get on-task with regards to their actual purpose. Leave the ambitious social engineering projects aside, and hope that, in the end, the whites outbreed the rest.

sun
Master

#8 Post by sun » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:56 am

Seems to me like a right-wing extremist/conservative idea. I think that where I am from it would be unquestionable to even suggest it. Sex ed is a given. "abstinence may make the heart grow fonder" is a funny expression too. It may? Is that some kind of religous belief or what? There are plenty of diseases you would want to know about. "no sex ed" seems like outright stupid to me.

tessa
Overlord

#9 Post by tessa » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:23 am

I had that weird little video when I was young too, but then I had a health class in middle school and high school. Both pretty much covered things like body growth/changes, drugs and their effects on the body, sex, pregnancy, STDs, and other general things.

So, I guess I know the biggest part of what I need to. I also tend to read up about a lot of things in Wikipedia too, so that helps as well.

isengoo
Champion

#10 Post by isengoo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:37 pm

I learned everything I know from the streets.

vurdijak
Hero

#11 Post by vurdijak » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:08 pm

We had some classes here in Texas in middle and high school. Although the classes did teach us some things, there main intention was to scare us into not having sex. They were abstinence oriented, now that I think about it.

That is the main problem with so many public programs aimed at young people. They do more harm than good, when the teen for the first time experiences sex and their d*ck doesnt fall off. In fact, it feels great! Where is that message in the program? How about this message as an alternative:

'Sex is both natural and pleasurable, but you need to be extremely cautious when engaging it because it carries with it extreme risks ranging from slight annoyances to death' (Now show the picture of genital warts)

The same type of mentality is applied in the DARE program, in which elementary aged children are told about the dangers of drugs. While agree they should be told about it, I think a more truthful tact should be taken. I remember fearing that I would die from smoking weed, get cancer from one cigarette, and ending up in jail for one drink. All the kids, until they found out on their own (or from honest friends and family), lived in the same state of fear. When the school system cries wolf once too often they get ignored. When kids get lied to they remember it, and react strongly against it. These lessons should be taken seriously and we should stop living out our societal lie as if its anything but immoral and unethical.

tessa
Overlord

#12 Post by tessa » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:17 pm

isengoo wrote:I learned everything I know from the streets.
Hobo voyeur.

luminier
Overlord

#13 Post by luminier » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:28 pm

i had similar education to naga, minus the whole sexuality and god book from my grandma. but a majority of the stuff that i learned was all from other kids ironically. and then in grade 9 we got this really funny, really gross STD presentation where my teacher mixed in shots from his camping trip with shots of certain STDs.

i went to a jesuit school but i distinctly remember my teacher saying, now i have to tell you to be abstinent, but really, just wear a condom and look carefully. oh young teachers, they are truly gods among men and women.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

ganandorf
Overlord

#14 Post by ganandorf » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:02 pm

My opinion on how to fix things:

The teenage sex issue:
Give out condoms etc. out for free
And show lots and lots of pictures of what their genitals look like before and after STDs

The drugs drinking education issue:
Make everything legal for all ages
edit: but they should add safety manuals or safety instructions with each drug, just like they do for salvia in canada.
If someone is to lazy or stupid to read this safety manual, and drinks/injects/smokes/snorts themself to them, thats their fault

(An example of a safety instructoin: DO NOT DO THIS YOU WILL GET DANGEROUSLY ADDICTED AND DIE WITHIN 5 YEARS)
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#15 Post by tessa » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:48 pm

You know, the funny thing is, a friend sent me this link the other night. Now that I remember it, it almost seems to fit the topic:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=583809

ganandorf
Overlord

#16 Post by ganandorf » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:08 pm

Salvia, legal drug, stronger effects than weed, Legal
http://www.salviasociety.org/salvia-safety.html

found this interesting sorry
Meow

Zengo
Professional

#17 Post by Zengo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:26 pm

Sex is dirty and it smells funny.

None of that silly hippie stuff for me.

ganandorf
Overlord

#18 Post by ganandorf » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:30 pm

Have you ever thought about sex WITH a hippy, statistics have proven that two wrongs do make a right
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#19 Post by tessa » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:40 pm

isengoo wrote:I learned everything I know from the streets.
ganandorf wrote:Have you ever thought about sex WITH a hippy, statistics have proven that two wrongs do make a right
So now we've come full circle.

ganandorf
Overlord

#20 Post by ganandorf » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:58 pm

So i think i should contribute something worthwhile.
Firstly on the sexual education that is offered at a variety of places that focuses on "Sex is bad, dont do it". I totally disagree with that philosophy, No matter how much they focus on abstinence teens are still going to have sex, I think they should focus moreso on "how to do it safely" using condoms and contraceptives

Now in regards to alcohol and drugs. Laws on alcohol are fine 18 in canada 21 in the US are good legal ages. In regards to drugs, I think that legalization of some drugs would be a good thing. The fact of the matter is, anyone who wants to do drugs is going to do them whether they are legal or not, in my opinion Alcohol is much worse than marijuana (I'm talking health and danger to others). As well the only reason marijuana is illegal is because of political reasons, The government cannot control distribution of marijuana like they can with alcohol. So, I am all for legalization of marijuana, it wouldnt make much of a difference anyways.
Meow