Death and the value of life.

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Herst
Master

Re: Death and the value of life.

#41 Post by Herst » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:49 am

I just thought of something.

People fear living after torture more than they fear death it seems.

How inconvenient is it to be released with some limbs missing, and not be able to have them restored for X amount of time. If you die, you get a new body, all your limbs and some stats that will eventually recover.

I would say dying would be the easiest way out of this solution most of the time. It could be one reason people do not fear it that much.

Olrane
Champion

#42 Post by Olrane » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:32 pm

Herst brings up a good point...it's little more than abuse of the system that a crippled person would possibly desire death instead of waiting for recovery. Is there some way that the code could be manipulated so that if you die while having torture-removed limbs, your death penalty is somewhat greater?

tessa
Overlord

#43 Post by tessa » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:40 pm

Or if you die and resurrect, you retain your punishment-inflicted wounds until they could be restored through normal healing.

Olrane
Champion

#44 Post by Olrane » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:43 pm

I was only offering that idea because the idea of resurrecting with a magically non-resurrected arm or so seems more than a little off.

tessa
Overlord

#45 Post by tessa » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:48 pm

Maybe it could be argued that the wound/s is/are far too fresh for the god to be able to heal completely at the moment, but then that'd not make sense for it to only happen to punishment wounds instead of all wounds in general (except all wounds in general can be healed generally at any time).

Though, your solution might very well do the job of making people fear death after having been abused.

ganandorf
Overlord

#46 Post by ganandorf » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:46 pm

I was thinking what if the following were done:
1) The stat loss from one single death is decreased
2) The time to increase from one single death is shortened
3) The stat loss from two or three, consecutive deaths grows, depending on how close the deaths were, and how many deaths you suffer in a row.
4) time to increase from multiple deaths is increased and cant be done in a day or two by 'powergaming'

My reasoning: Deaths do happen, therefore a single death is understandable. Multiple deaths on the other hand usually caused by player stupidity and a so called 'loss of value for life'

Just something i thought, i think it may have even been suggested befoore
Meow

luminier
Overlord

#47 Post by luminier » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:11 pm

i actually like ganans idea. lessening the peanlty for one death, but making subsequent deaths cause more and more damage to the stat levels. we should also have something like a reset counter.

example.

if you die once u suffer stat loss. You know have one counter. if you die with a counter it becomes a larger penalty for statloss.

however, this counter is removed with one hour of play time. and with zero counters if you die you will suffer normal statloss with no extra penalties that you would suffer WITH a counter or two, or three.

end example.

does this make sense? oh an throw in the odd skill loss when reaching max low for the "heroes" out there.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.