Arborea court

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

sun
Master

Arborea court

#1 Post by sun » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:02 pm

I consider Arborea a kind of honourable and pride "warrior"'s kind of town which is not really so advanced in society. They are quickly breeding and spreading around faster over the world than any other race, making a big impact and are also very adaptable to different situations. They have a natural identity/nationalistic trait in the sense that they survived wars, travelling across oceans, defending against insects and all those kind of freedom fights. Most of them worship a god of war and they take pride in their own ability to defend themselves.

With this background I find it really hard to see why Arborea would use a law system. Other than maybe Elvandarian pressure, it seems to me like there is no good reason. The Arboreans should first of all rather have a warlord/chief to rule over them if not primarily defending themselves with their own sword. I mean, if you can't defend yourself you are weak anyway. Strength is beauty and steel is justice. Or something similiar.

So this is why I ask, why not remove the court system? I think it was introduced when Elvandar's first was, mostly like a chain effect. The game would be better without it, even if it is not replaced by anything else.

What do you guys think?

Olrane
Champion

Re: Arborea court

#2 Post by Olrane » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:06 pm

Arborea is that, in many senses, but it is also a center of trade and scholarship. Centuries of influence from Elvandar have certainly left their mark. I don't think the court is improper to have, and the most recent judges have done a good job at representing Arborea's values.

vurdijak
Hero

#3 Post by vurdijak » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:24 pm

I like the spirit of your idea Sun. I think a warlord/chief would be a good thing for Arborea to have, as long as there was some kind of check or balance in place to make sure that warlord couldnt rule indefinitely. The main advantage of the voting system in my opinion is that it is sort of an OOC necessity, blocking a single player from abusing their power and ruining the fun for everyone else.

Maybe a warlord with certain powers who could be elected and overthrown by vote?

tessa
Overlord

#4 Post by tessa » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:52 pm

Warlords aren't elected by vote, they're established by physical prowess.

I don't like the idea of Arborea having such. It would be like PCs getting to be King/Queen of Elvandar, and that IMO is way too much power for people to have and potentially abuse.

stilgar
Champion

#5 Post by stilgar » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:13 am

IMO as a judge you can as well abuse your power as long as you are elected. We all know that it happened in the past and happens in the presence, will happen in the future. Its fine like that, no problem with it. So its not really a matter of a player collecting too much power. Being a judge is already a quite powerful position in a given city :wink:

As I imagine a Warlord of Arborea:
I doubt anyone would be elected, but a strong player would simply take over Arborea without anyone able to infuence him as long as he is not beaten. So.. a simple satho walks in, beats the warlord and takes over the power.. I doubt any citizen would like the idea :wink: The current system allows citizens who work for the city and "keep it alive" to express their opinion and influence those in charge. I see no logical IC reason they would give away this right and let themselves ruled by a single person without any chance to remove him from power. So I think its not IC logical.
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

sun
Master

#6 Post by sun » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:10 am

tessa wrote:Warlords aren't elected by vote, they're established by physical prowess.

I don't like the idea of Arborea having such. It would be like PCs getting to be King/Queen of Elvandar, and that IMO is way too much power for people to have and potentially abuse.
The problem is in my opinion that they have a judge in the first place. It would be better to simply have nothing.

And when it comes to warlords, I see two possibilities. One is that the warlord player does a good job of playing an interesting character with all the flaws and quirks you would expect a medieval lord to have: commanding people around, abusing his position, behead those who fart in the wrong direction, harrassing women (or men), killing for sports, employing slaves and being generally of firm belief that he/she is the best and holy.

The other is that you get a guy who abuse it to get some PvP powergaming advantage. I.e. playing a character without flaws and or at least not in a way so that it hurts how well it goes for them, perfectly making alliances, perfectly interprets the laws (if any) without bias, uses modern type of values to decide on decisions, generally ignoring "lore" facts/feelings/opinions, über-training the correct skills/stats, and so on.

I'm kind of afraid that it might become the second type, but even in that case I think it is better to kill off the court than to keep it as it is.

Delia
Overlord

#7 Post by Delia » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:17 am

And when it comes to warlords, I see two possibilities. One is that the warlord player does a good job of playing an interesting character with all the flaws and quirks you would expect a medieval lord to have: commanding people around, abusing his position, behead those who fart in the wrong direction, harrassing women (or men), killing for sports, employing slaves and being generally of firm belief that he/she is the best and holy.
Until crusaders arrive to town... :|
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

tessa
Overlord

#8 Post by tessa » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:00 pm

Assuming the warlord wasn't already a Crusader.

Delia
Overlord

#9 Post by Delia » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:19 pm

But yes,generally speaking a warlord system would feel like the right thing for the humies. Still as it was pointed out elves do have a degree of influence in Arborea, culturally and otherwise even if it is mostly PC influence.

Sure humans kicked elven butt in the past but the elves have used other approaches when dealing with the human situation. Humans? Just mingle and outlive them.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#10 Post by luminier » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:49 pm

tessa wrote:Assuming the warlord wasn't already a Crusader.

ya i think thats the point.... i mean if a crusadr became judge i think the outcome would be just as bad...

we need an arborea, we don't need another elvandar.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delmon
Champion

#11 Post by Delmon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:51 pm

The judge of arborea could easily transform himself into a warlord, as long as he had friends to keep him in office and alive (realistically, a warlord needs an army, geas "warlord" needs 3 friends, getting a gang) , so taking out the judge system is probably not the best idea.

Mathias
Apprentice

#12 Post by Mathias » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:28 pm

What ever happened to the kings? Will they return? If you want a warlord, give Vlad a call. From what I hear he has an army at his disposal and I am sure he would be happy to take the position.

ganandorf
Overlord

#13 Post by ganandorf » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:13 pm

I'll get right on it!
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#14 Post by tessa » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:54 pm

I think Cemoch already dibbed Arborea for himself. Along with the rest of the world.

luminier
Overlord

#15 Post by luminier » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:52 am

Pff, Cemoch is -clearly- scared of Luminier.

tessa
Overlord

#16 Post by tessa » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:56 am

Or he has better things to do than deal with a squirt like Luminier.

Like be entertained by his hot female darkelven subordinates.

luminier
Overlord

#17 Post by luminier » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:02 am

Excuses excuses.

stilgar
Champion

#18 Post by stilgar » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:46 am

tessa wrote:Or he has better things to do than deal with a squirt like Luminier.

Like be entertained by his hot female darkelven subordinates.
I thought Cemoch likes the boys, or at least girls that look like a boy :twisted:
Future is NOT what it used to be

Pecs, European Capital of Culture 2010

luminier
Overlord

#19 Post by luminier » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:19 am

ahah And....... i mean.

Delmon
Champion

#20 Post by Delmon » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:04 pm

Or Cemoch is just inactive