News item Looting Illegal..declares the Gvt of Elvandar

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

tessa
Overlord

Re: News item Looting Illegal..declares the Gvt of Elvandar

#41 Post by tessa » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:19 pm

Not just medieval, but medieval fantasy. Look up fantasy themes like Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance or so forth, and war spoils and the like are pretty much the norm, and it's not uncommon for the average person to have to deal with goblin/orc/ogre raids in the countrysides, or assassin or thieves or general thugs in city life, so life and death situations aren't necessarily far and few. It can be a grimy world out there, and I think Abhs himself has said at least once that GEAS is aimed to be a 'dark fantasy' theme.

However, I do agree on the assessment that it's a little odd that pretty much every person in the game is primarily a warrior and secondarily something else, barring the odd few like Naga or druids. But I think that's due to the extensive work and detail put into the combat side of the mud, opposed to other things which aren't quite so filled out (ie, crafts).

But I think both views, pro or anti loot, are workable in the world of GEAS provided people roleplay them out, and I think it would be quite hard for anyone to OOCly argue either of them as being 'unarguably correct'. Though I don't think the average Forostaran would object to taking something useful from the corpse of a would-be goblin raider.