Economy in GEAS

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

krelji
Hero

Re: Economy in GEAS

#21 Post by krelji » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:48 am

luminier wrote:One could argue the opposite. Whats the point in having money hard to earn when there is nothing useful to buy? And if I am not mistaken did you not just nail your own coffin? You said that the people who get skills from the money they make in a craft is the same as the hack and slashers. I thought the economy was suppose to make the crafts induce more roleplay. Was I wrong?
Sorry, but I didn't nail my own coffin. I want to see more chars in the game that
have more than just a bunch of combat skills, and if you learn a craft it's a move
in the right direction. And don't tell me that there's no way to spend coins in game.
Considering that my char has thousands of gold coins on his accounts, and managed
to spend ~1500 of them this year tells a different story.

And yes, a working economy would create some more roleplay, but I see this more
as a nice side effect, rather than the main purpose of having a working economy.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Delia
Overlord

#22 Post by Delia » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:15 am

Generally speaking, the price of high-end manufactured goods such as armours and weapons the prices really should be HIGHER. If you can trade in a few scalps for a set of plate armour...*grimaces* Some activities seem to yield a lot of gold compared to others and some items which clearly require master craftsmen and loads of work to make them cost...very little. Merchant always pays less for goods than charges for those he sells, as a rule. Items of low quality should have correspondingly cut prices as well. If a character went through the trouble of repairing/sharpening a nice, but quite beaten sword...it should give noticeably more coin than in its beaten form.

Also there should be more available "needless" items such as common clothes and such. I am not sure but I think some people have submitted some ideas atleast, not sure what it requires for them to appear in game. Of course more flair the article of clothing has the heavier the price tag.

More 'jewelry' slots and jewelry! Hair-accessories, more ring slots, piercings, anklets, torcs, you name it! There are always characters who are willing to invest in these. Add perfumes, make-up and tattoos also.

Personal maintenance! Beard and hair styles which goes off shape as hair grows and is subjected to harsh conditions.

Guildpeople could always purchase additions to their property. Even hire extra guards if applicable. Devising new equipment for the members to use. If the idea is good and thematic I see why not a nice wiz would not add it if all the info and desc is properly presented. I also like the idea about having guild affiliated custom items. Any such should be correspondingly of higher cost and should be limited in availability. I cannot see why a leader or some high ranker member could not have one. Of course the whole thing might become quite tasteless if EVERY high ranked member had a custom guild item...

Custom item options! All the sheathes and pockets or any other feature should crank up the price. There could be even more variation in prices when it comes to item type/material. A custom mithril battle-armour should be ridiculously expensive even after the materials. More materials could also be needed for our precious customs...such as quantities of high quality leather for leather armours/cloth and so forth.

Some ideas recycled from their respective threads but as things tend to get buried here after a while, here they are again.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

tessa
Overlord

#23 Post by tessa » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:28 am

I can think of a ton of jewelry ideas if they were wanted. And perfumes and tattoos sound neat, and hair styles were old wants. More clothes would be nice too, something I tried to contribute to, too. Perhaps I need to finish that.

Region-determined styles would be nice. As in, elves have a style of clothes, Arboreans have another, perhaps Asadorians have a third, etc.

These are all things *I* would certainly invest in, at least. ;)

I'm unsure of lowering quality of guild items, though. They're intentionally supposed to be superior to normal items, and if they were lowered, you'd have to be careful not to make them worse or the same as normal items, or else you'll see people never using those guild items anymore.

Custom items attributed to guilds sounds nice, but it may need to be carefully determined so things didn't get unbalanced if everyone starts making prime-quality mithril things. And maybe nearly everyone having customized guild items wouldn't be so bad if people tried to follow the them of their standard guild equipment (IE; no skulls-maces with spikes coming out of the cranium and eye sockets for supposed good guys).

krelji
Hero

#24 Post by krelji » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:45 am

I actually like those ideas, though I don't think my char would bother to get much
jewelry, or the other things mentioned there.

Generally I would make custom mithril items more expensive. Currently they appear
to be way too cheap to me. Furthermore I would perhaps add an additional waiting
period to get it done. I think the mithril alloy isn't easily made, and perhaps a smith
would have to wait for a proper alignment of the moons, as good luck charm.

Delia
Overlord

#25 Post by Delia » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:41 am

Furthermore I would perhaps add an additional waiting
period to get it done.
Currently, it tends to vary, as it always has. I remember getting a custom in a matter of days. At the other end it has been over a month.

krelji
Hero

#26 Post by krelji » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:12 am

Delia wrote:Currently, it tends to vary, as it always has. I remember getting a custom in a matter of days. At the other end it has been over a month.
It's not that I am not aware of this, but I would still prefer if a high quality mithril
item would require more than just a few weeks or months to create. It doesn't
make any sense that I can get a high quality mithril item within days (assuming
I have the materials and the desc is being approved quickly). If anything I would
expect Xuchal to increase his price, since he put my order on top of his queue.

Olrane
Champion

#27 Post by Olrane » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:14 am

As far as customs go (and I don't know if this is the case already) the actual gold price should be scaled by size and especially material. Iron things should be probably 50-100 gc, and I think most mithril things should be 150-200 or even more, depending. Not a knife, but a mithril hauberk should be really really hard to get. Hard as a warhorse.

Delia
Overlord

#28 Post by Delia » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:17 am

Then again...without a good buddy system it can the RL months to just get the materials required. In a way I agree that there could be (material based, long)set custom item manufacture times but I can see it putting off some players who do not hang around as tenaciously as some :oops:

Delia
Overlord

#29 Post by Delia » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:23 am

I think the mithril/adamantite requirements for really small items such as very short daggers should be upped somewhat also. The measly up to fifty grams(?) required is not much even if the item itself is costly(50-75 gold?). I doubt all the ore is used with 100% efficiency.

Then again if the amounts of mithril and adamantite required are upped considerably...I'd say the oresellers should start retaining the nuggets they purchase. Just have them pay LESS than what they sell them for. Then again players could start using the trade depo also with precious nuggets.

Hmm...can the depo be robbed? And what does happen to items that has ludicrous price tags attached? Can they be reclaimed?

chara
Wizard

#30 Post by chara » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:04 am

krelji wrote:earning money via scalping is more profitable than any of the other options
Scalping was only ever intended for newbies... thus the requirement to have a paper that's only given to newbies to enter the area. It's a little disturbing to hear it referred to as a major means of making money for all.

This is a similar problem with the mushrooms and so on. You have to offer newbies some way to not starve to death while getting their feet under them, which means a cheap and easy way to get food.

It would be quite cool for older players to roleplay being unwilling to grub around for food like an animal. After all, how many of us would eat raw mushrooms we find in a forest, unless we were really starving?

luminier
Overlord

#31 Post by luminier » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:47 am

Killing a giant is for newbies? Damn. I used to go to thildens every now and again until lately... heh. Seems finally all the bases are covered there. I considered myself the... "beta-tester".
Praise btw.

I am a fan of roast beed and fried fish. But if I am over in the ogre cauldron... well Luminier has eaten rotten fish with Mathias before.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delia
Overlord

#32 Post by Delia » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:02 am

I think the scalping discussed here is not of the thilden variety which gives good coins. After witnessing a "giant scalp run", scalping can do GOOD coin indeed. Feeling sorry for the giants though, they have it rough. Crussies come and scalp them, Sathos come and make them their undead pets. Dang if there was an active Lilithian clergy/other guild to put a stop to that Amward madness!

Delmon
Champion

#33 Post by Delmon » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:09 pm

After all, how many of us would eat raw mushrooms we find in a forest
--->Delmon
Scalping was only ever intended for newbies...
Kill elvandar's gold earners from scalping by deleting the "chart" and money from scalping. Everyone knows the higher you are on the chart the more you've gained gold from scalps. Hey, I spot Luminier!

tessa
Overlord

#34 Post by tessa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:47 pm

The problem with easy food like mushrooms and raw meat and such is that I think some people will forgo 'sensibility' for convenience. How many will spend money and time to cook meat when you can just simply eat the raw stuff and be done with the hunger?

I mean, I'm all for people going the lengths to RP a little when it comes to convenient food (Tessa refuses to eat raw meat, for instance), but I'm not sure if everyone would bother to do it. And it's hard to 'enforce' the idea of there being consequences of eating, say that raw meat, since it would hurt newbies. Plus, I think Arborea is the only place that sells pans for cooking (it would be neat if general items like papers, pans, etc. were sold in outfitters all around the world instead of just one place or another).

I wasn't aware you weren't supposed to eat mushrooms raw, either. I thought that's how some people normally eat them. :?

ganandorf
Overlord

#35 Post by ganandorf » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:04 pm

Some people need raw meat to survive.
Or i could always take on a few of ironholds recipes.
skewered elven ears anyone?
Meow

Yoda
Wizard

#36 Post by Yoda » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:00 pm

Stilgar's idea makes a lot of sense here. Eating good quality food (cooked) is a better diet than subsisting on raw mushrooms and berries. If we at some point make the quality of food eaten over a period of time affect such things as recovery rates for health/mana/fatigue/stamina, we would have incentives to spend effort getting better food (or cooking it) without removing the free food.

krelji
Hero

#37 Post by krelji » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:55 am

I like the idea of taking the quality of the food you've eaten over a period of time
into account. If this is being implemented, then please consider magical means of
feeding yourself as 'free food'.

Olrane
Champion

#38 Post by Olrane » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:18 am

I really like that idea, Yoda, especially with Krelji's comment. Magical food should be unsustainable as the only food source, and should negatively affect one after a long time without real food.

Delia
Overlord

#39 Post by Delia » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:55 am

Magical sustenance, mainly songs should be more like an illusion of food and water, good for a pinch but nothing you can rely for weeks on end. Miracles of different gods could have varying powers depending on god.

ganandorf
Overlord

#40 Post by ganandorf » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:59 am

How would cannabalism come into play :twisted:
From experience i can say that fresh raw elf meat, dripping with blood is much better then the dry cooked stuff :oops:
Meow