Economy in GEAS

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

luminier
Overlord

Re: Economy in GEAS

#61 Post by luminier » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:43 pm

tessa wrote:
luminier wrote:I never really justified it character, All I said was that I was looking for undead in that area. If you can recall, Aragog and Kaspars would put undead inside there and the older goodies would have no way of entering unless u had a paper or could sneak past, but those days are long gone now. Plus is sneaking unjustifiable? I mean i could definately why it would be considered odd no doubt. But as I recall I never remember other good characters looking down on me for it. I guess I should just stop doing that then lol. I don't really think it's tricking either, because I have the scalps, and I am paid for them. Whats the trick?
You should probably not do something in the game if it can't be justified ICly. And yes, sneaking past guards, especially when you know full well you should have a bounty document to rightfully pass them is unlawful (see trespassing and unauthorized entry). It could also be considered dirty that you're screwing young adventurers out of work, and claiming large sums of money for monsters that, for you, are practically effortless to kill. I think it's easy to put aside rationalisations and admit Luminier was just out to make cheap and easy money at the expense of others.

And before saying no goodies cared about Luminier doing it, I suppose it would be worth taking note of how many people were aware he was doing it.
I used to go to thildens every now and again until lately... heh. Seems finally all the bases are covered there. I considered myself the... "beta-tester".
Usually 'beta-testers' will report loopholes or glitches instead of continuing to quietly use them until someone else catches them in the act.
While we are on the topic, can the number one hunter in Elvandar get something cool? It's hard work!
You get bragging rights.

Check and mate.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

gojin
Master

#62 Post by gojin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:53 am

Bah Lumi, you give up too easy. OOCwise taking coins from newbs isnt nice but I personally see nothing bad rpwise w/ you sneaking into thildens. Looking for undead was a completely plausible idea especially for that time. Even if it was an excuse and coin was Lumi's goal then it fits in perfectly with the Lie, Cheat, Steal, Win at all costs to maintain the Holier Than Thou image of the Crusade RP that I personally found/find super entertaining.
Did you ever notice that people who believe in creationism look really un-evolved? - Bill Hicks
I have not failed. I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison

luminier
Overlord

#63 Post by luminier » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:55 am

Gojin you forget too easily, don't screw with women.

ganandorf
Overlord

#64 Post by ganandorf » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:37 am

Not to mention thildens are evil bastard sathonites, and a scourge on elvandar land that needs scouring.
Meow

chara
Wizard

#65 Post by chara » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:30 am

tessa wrote:I think Arborea is the only place that sells pans for cooking...
Pans should now be available in Elvandar's outfitter, too.

tessa
Overlord

#66 Post by tessa » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:09 am

I can hear the excited cheers of female elves across the city already.

Delia
Overlord

#67 Post by Delia » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:44 pm

Yes! And if the guild-related foods ideas could be addresed someday it'd be even more awesome(shao-dinner, or why do not guilds offer proper food to members)
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

gojin
Master

#68 Post by gojin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:10 am

Wanted to toss my 2cc on the food discussion. IMO raw meats/mushrooms should at the least have a chance to give a slight poison effect... about as weak as gobbo spiders or less. Just as an annoyance. Cooking meat would nullify the effect but not necessarily give any boosts. For those who might complain that this would be too time consuming remember that there has always been a readily available supply of cooked food at the Inns. Would be nice if adventurers would think about picking up a few rations before heading out west for adventure.
Did you ever notice that people who believe in creationism look really un-evolved? - Bill Hicks
I have not failed. I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison

tessa
Overlord

#69 Post by tessa » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:15 am

The reason they aren't unhealthy currently is for the sake of newbies.

However, I wonder if it would be hard to give newbies a 2-day immunity to illness from raw/rotten/spoiled foods like they get for plague, undeads, and other nasties.

isengoo
Champion

#70 Post by isengoo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:28 pm

Isengorn has and will always eat at an Inn, and always found it strange when people would pick up heaps of raw meat off the ground and devour them whole.

Not saying he hasn't done that once or twice, just to see what it was like, but he has certainly learned his lesson!

chara
Wizard

#71 Post by chara » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:48 pm

There's a pretty nice plan for food that's been around for some years, including regaining more health from better food and chances of getting sick from uncooked meat, but it's not a simple thing to add. The way food in general works would need to be redone, which is wiz-intensively time-consuming.

ganandorf
Overlord

#72 Post by ganandorf » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:04 pm

I dont think regaining more health from better food is really necessary, as certain foods are better for certain people. Whereas a diet of berries, fruits, raw vegetables might be good for one person, cooked meat may be better for another..

I think the only thing that needs to be added is that raw animal meat gives one the same illness that eating lots of fish does. Raw humanoid meat should not give this.
Meow

krelji
Hero

#73 Post by krelji » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:11 pm

ganandorf wrote:I think the only thing that needs to be added is that raw animal meat gives one the same illness that eating lots of fish does. Raw humanoid meat should not give this.
And humanoid meat would be exempt for it why? Because your diet requires it?
I don't see much of a difference between humanoid or animal meat in this case.
The one thing I'd like to see would be meat that actually decays over time, and
perhaps add the poisoning for meat that isn't fresh.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

isengoo
Champion

#74 Post by isengoo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:16 pm

krelji wrote:
ganandorf wrote:I think the only thing that needs to be added is that raw animal meat gives one the same illness that eating lots of fish does. Raw humanoid meat should not give this.
And humanoid meat would be exempt for it why? Because your diet requires it?
I don't see much of a difference between humanoid or animal meat in this case.
The one thing I'd like to see would be meat that actually decays over time, and
perhaps add the poisoning for meat that isn't fresh.
Well, he is the the servant of an evil and malevolent god, so yes, his diet does require it.

luminier
Overlord

#75 Post by luminier » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:19 pm

I think humanoid meat already gives bad effects so it doesn't need more. cooking it seems a little silly as well. however i do think ill meat should spoil and eventually decay. but there should be a way to salt it, and keep it from decaying for long trips.

ganandorf
Overlord

#76 Post by ganandorf » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Humanoid meat is a very special case, it has various effects on a person. Some bonuses, some negatives.

I dont want to reveal to much, but one cannot go to long without not eating humanoid meat, a real big disadvantage. The time it takes to get some meat, and then further cooking it, would be a very bad thing for me, and the two or three other cannibals in the game
Meow

tessa
Overlord

#77 Post by tessa » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:54 pm

I don't think raw humanoid meat should work the same way as raw animal meat. Raw humanoid meat already has serious consequences for consumption, and ghouls have no need to cook meat- they're developed to consume live flesh, unlike normal people.

Delia
Overlord

#78 Post by Delia » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:12 am

dont think regaining more health from better food is really necessary, as certain foods are better for certain people. Whereas a diet of berries, fruits, raw vegetables might be good for one person, cooked meat may be better for another..

I think the only thing that needs to be added is that raw animal meat gives one the same illness that eating lots of fish does. Raw humanoid meat should not give this.
You all should see the movie 'Ravenous', it is "hilarious".
I can only testify when it comes to eating raw fish...even if it is delicious...it is starting to burst from my ears!(too much sashimi)

Being serious...fresh fish and the like do have an "unhealthy" smell to them. Most "normal" meat do tend to smell "neutral". It is quite interesting.(IMO?)
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

lanyara
Overlord

#79 Post by lanyara » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:16 am

skill cooking!

Super-draft version of a description:

"This denotes your ability to cook or otherwise prepare delicious, tasty meals. You will require a recipe listing the necessary ingredients, and a proper environment for the cooking procedure, like a kettle, a pot, fire etc..."

Also this skill may be useful in preparing special cakes, or otherwise enhancing the taste of food ("This tastes really delicious.") or the opposite if you happen to be a horrible cook ("Argh, poisoned food!"). Most ingredients could probably be collected quite easily in-game, so even rather young chars may try at this. Good cooks may sell their cakes for a little bit of extra income (income diversification would be nice)

For most complicated meals you could probably get player supplied recipes (and descriptions as well). And a bakery with a trainer perhaps (the trainer may teach herbalism - and especially 'cooking').

That bakery may also sell a few special, expensive food thingies.

For the cannibals among the playerchars, they would surely find creative ways for meals extravaganza. And perhaps a special bakery in Asador.
Zombie pot, bone grinders, and what-not ... a kettle for kitten and elves alike, boil that for some time and... I better stop at that.

PS: For the extra giggles, and since the phrase medieval is often used ... medieval candies http://www.godecookery.com/ginger/ginger.htm

I am however not sure that descriptions such as the following would be really helpful, taken from that link ...

"Take a quart of hony, & sethe it, & skeme it clene; "

Sethe? Skeme? Hmm ...
Best race: halflings.

Arogarn
Experienced

#80 Post by Arogarn » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:15 pm

lanyara wrote:"Take a quart of hony, & sethe it, & skeme it clene; "
... and strain it ( => german "seihen, er seithe, geseith"), and skim it clean.

And on the economy thing .. yes, it needs fixing, much of that and urgently. Actually, it's among the things that keep me from playing atm (I'm a Trapper, and useless therefore. like "my" guild ...). Should better read through the whole thread first before I start blurting out ideas, right? ;)