Economy in GEAS

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Delmon
Champion

Re: Economy in GEAS

#41 Post by Delmon » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:50 am

Cooking....resting...sharpening...repairing...money making craft

Keep adding more things that take time, probably the "fun time" lowers for some people. And, I remember as a newb I thought it was going to be annoying with water and food/ hunger and thirst, but then I thought, well, this isn't that hard (fountain, mushrooms, berries). For old characters, a change like this is easy. newer characters, one more thing to worry about.

Is it worth coding so that people can "spend effort getting better food"?

I see hunting trips suddenly turned into "lets run back to the closest city so we get max food bonus".. that's not so fun. But, maby you can twist the idea into something practical and fun at the same time.

krelji
Hero

#42 Post by krelji » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:13 am

Delmon wrote:I see hunting trips suddenly turned into "lets run back to the closest city so we get max food bonus".. that's not so fun. But, maby you can twist the idea into something practical and fun at the same time.
I don't think that a snack of free food during a hunting trip would ruin your recovery
rates, and thus we won't see what you seem to fear.
Delmon wrote:For old characters, a change like this is easy. newer characters, one more thing to worry about.
I think it would be more the older chars would be worrying about, as they have to
change their habits. It should be easy for the newer chars to adjust their diet.
ganandorf wrote:How would cannabalism come into play :twisted:
Cannibals have a different diet anyway, so it shouldn't matter much for them IMO.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

Delmon
Champion

#43 Post by Delmon » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:36 am

You know what, as long as the effects arent that dramatic or the difference between cooked/uncooked isn't dramatic sounds fine to me. We can always buy roast beef....

luminier
Overlord

#44 Post by luminier » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:07 pm

This little piggy had roast beef!

ya i love these ideas heh, if/when implemented they will surely 'season' the game with the spice of greatness. pun intended.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Delia
Overlord

#45 Post by Delia » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:49 pm

"lets run back to the closest city so we get max food bonus"
I doubt a change like this would not ruin the game for those who are not looking for the optimal gain per second. Losing the optimal gain per second of play isn't that big a deal anyway, bit like if your skill is 95 and not 100. Atleast this is more or less what it sounds to me.

AND if it is an issue for newbies they can always be made exempt.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

Delmon
Champion

#46 Post by Delmon » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:04 pm

When I mentioned issue for newbies, I ment them thinking "great, just another thing to worry about. Let's play somethingelse instead."

There's also the whole, the system doesn't need changing so why change it.
Seems "how and what our characters eat" is insignificant to other things.

krelji
Hero

#47 Post by krelji » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:12 pm

Delmon wrote:When I mentioned issue for newbies, I ment them thinking "great, just another thing to worry about. Let's play somethingelse instead."
Seems "how and what our characters eat" is insignificant to other things.
Since when are newbies worrying about insignifcant things? Newbies have the
advantage of not having to change their eating habits. Older chars on the other
hand might have some issues with it.

tessa
Overlord

#48 Post by tessa » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:17 pm

It's not a life or death situation. I don't think eating raw food is going to be like guzzling down poison or something, so I'm sure newbies who are coming into the system or people who are too lazy to cook food could continue gorging on deer corpses like lions without risk of critical disadvantage.

I'm all for this kind of idea. It's something that adds a little flavour to the game than "hey look there's an ogre let's go kill it" and it's not like it's a necessary thing- just a little (but not game-changing) icing on the cake for those that put the effort into it.
Cooking....resting...sharpening...repairing...money making craft

Keep adding more things that take time, probably the "fun time" lowers for some people.
I think you should keep in mind that there's some players in the game that might enjoy partaking in hobbies other than monotonous slaying of monsters all the time (hi).

Delmon
Champion

#49 Post by Delmon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:53 am

Then cook your food and add icing to the cake for yourself? Mushrooms and colcan are good enough for me and others (non-forum users)

krelji
Hero

#50 Post by krelji » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:27 am

Delmon wrote:Then cook your food and add icing to the cake for yourself? Mushrooms and colcan are good enough for me and others (non-forum users)
What makes you think that all the non-forum users would object this as your
comment implies. My char is one of those who has been feeding himself with
colcan and mir exclusively for some years. I'd welcome such a change, even
though it will be difficult to convince my char to eat something other than the odd
piece of raw meat at times.

tessa
Overlord

#51 Post by tessa » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:21 pm

Delmon wrote:Then cook your food and add icing to the cake for yourself? Mushrooms and colcan are good enough for me and others (non-forum users)
If you don't like features other than just hack and slashing, then feel free to hack and slash and ignore the other aspects of the game. Some of us would enjoy a game that puts focus in several things rather than just monster mob killing. No one said you have to do other things, so if you don't want to, simply don't. But it's hardly fair for others or beneficial for the mud to suggest sacrificing possible features or additions in the game for personal convenience of yourself or other monster grinders.

Andreati
Master

#52 Post by Andreati » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:57 pm

For the raw meat shtick, I'd like to see more rotten meat/tapeworm infested meat/old and diseased meat. Think of it like meat/food. You don't eat raw chicken meat, you can eat raw fish and beef--sometimes. It would be cool if there were some animals you could eat raw (fish, bovine...ish), and some that would probably make you sick (any sort of fowl/diseased animal).

A little off topic, but I'd also like to see more animals dying of natural causes (old age, fighting with other animals [predators], diseases, bad food), and then their carcasses being left around for random adventurer D to pick up and eat--getting sick in the process, or not.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

chara
Wizard

#53 Post by chara » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:59 am

tessa wrote:I wasn't aware you weren't supposed to eat mushrooms raw, either. I thought that's how some people normally eat them. :?
So you, OOC, would feel perfectly comfortable walking into a forest and eating mushrooms you find lying around there? You're a lot braver than I am, then!

When I said "How many of us" I meant OOC. In game, you can certainly eat mushrooms raw, but it gives some nice roleplay opportunities to avoid it, especially as your character grows older and wiser.

chara
Wizard

#54 Post by chara » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:06 am

luminier wrote:Killing a giant is for newbies?
You're right, I misspoke - I should have said thilden scalping, not scalping in general.
luminier wrote:Damn. I used to go to thildens every now and again until lately... heh.
Isn't your character a Crusader, aka lawful good? How did you justify sneaking past lawful guards to trick the city of Elvandar out of funds?

tessa
Overlord

#55 Post by tessa » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:18 am

chara wrote:So you, OOC, would feel perfectly comfortable walking into a forest and eating mushrooms you find lying around there? You're a lot braver than I am, then!
I don't eat mushrooms (I think they're gross), but I thought that's how it was done. :P

Grindel
Veteran

#56 Post by Grindel » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:13 pm

It is terrible roleplay, too, that everyone is happy to eat cooked an noncooked food but refuses to visit the privy or move his char behind some bush... If you add some code to the food, please add a hardcoded need for the reverse as well.

Code: Select all

You should visit the loo shortly, but it is not urgent yet.
> enter outhouse
You are standing in a derelict outhouse with a hole in the ground.
There are two obvious exits: out, down

Delia
Overlord

#57 Post by Delia » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:16 pm

I don't eat mushrooms (I think they're gross), but I thought that's how it was done.
Good iron pan + butter + right kind of mushrooms = heaven

Anyways...even if some might enjoy mushrooms raw they STILL require some preparation to be perfectly edible. It is the very odd mushroom that you can just grab and smash into your mouth, if any.
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

luminier
Overlord

#58 Post by luminier » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:49 pm

chara wrote:
luminier wrote:Damn. I used to go to thildens every now and again until lately... heh.
Isn't your character a Crusader, aka lawful good? How did you justify sneaking past lawful guards to trick the city of Elvandar out of funds?

I never really justified it character, All I said was that I was looking for undead in that area. If you can recall, Aragog and Kaspars would put undead inside there and the older goodies would have no way of entering unless u had a paper or could sneak past, but those days are long gone now. Plus is sneaking unjustifiable? I mean i could definately why it would be considered odd no doubt. But as I recall I never remember other good characters looking down on me for it. I guess I should just stop doing that then lol. I don't really think it's tricking either, because I have the scalps, and I am paid for them. Whats the trick?

While we are on the topic, can the number one hunter in Elvandar get something cool? It's hard work!
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

krelji
Hero

#59 Post by krelji » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:49 pm

luminier wrote:While we are on the topic, can the number one hunter in Elvandar get something cool? It's hard work!
Getting paid for the job isn't sufficient for yourself? I think it would be cool if the number one hunter would be enlisted as personal body guard for the queen. Naturally he would have to stay with the queen, but you wanted something cool...

tessa
Overlord

#60 Post by tessa » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:04 pm

luminier wrote:I never really justified it character, All I said was that I was looking for undead in that area. If you can recall, Aragog and Kaspars would put undead inside there and the older goodies would have no way of entering unless u had a paper or could sneak past, but those days are long gone now. Plus is sneaking unjustifiable? I mean i could definately why it would be considered odd no doubt. But as I recall I never remember other good characters looking down on me for it. I guess I should just stop doing that then lol. I don't really think it's tricking either, because I have the scalps, and I am paid for them. Whats the trick?
You should probably not do something in the game if it can't be justified ICly. And yes, sneaking past guards, especially when you know full well you should have a bounty document to rightfully pass them is unlawful (see trespassing and unauthorized entry). It could also be considered dirty that you're screwing young adventurers out of work, and claiming large sums of money for monsters that, for you, are practically effortless to kill. I think it's easy to put aside rationalisations and admit Luminier was just out to make cheap and easy money at the expense of others.

And before saying no goodies cared about Luminier doing it, I suppose it would be worth taking note of how many people were aware he was doing it.
I used to go to thildens every now and again until lately... heh. Seems finally all the bases are covered there. I considered myself the... "beta-tester".
Usually 'beta-testers' will report loopholes or glitches instead of continuing to quietly use them until someone else catches them in the act.
While we are on the topic, can the number one hunter in Elvandar get something cool? It's hard work!
You get bragging rights.