Archetype Arborean

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Delmon
Champion

Archetype Arborean

#1 Post by Delmon » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:28 pm

What is the differences between citizens and non citizens in the three main cities. I'm wondering if there are less citizens and more commoners among the cities or vice versa. I'm talking about invisible npcs here. Are there invisible npc citizens? The citizens (players) really seems odd to me bc there are so many different views among these characters and to me I dont think these player/character citizens represent the views of the entire city. So then: should the players/citizens of a city agree with the other "common" people (if there are any)? What are your thoughts on the issue?
Last edited by Delmon on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delmon
Champion

Re: Archetype Arborean

#2 Post by Delmon » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:42 am

This is going nowhere. :!: So, I ask more.

Are Arboreans, the non citizens, mostly racist towards tshaharks?

Are citizens suppose to represent the majority opinion of the city?
Are there nonplayer invisible citizens of a city, or just common people run by a small mix of random characters(run by players)?

krelji
Hero

#3 Post by krelji » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:01 pm

Sorry, but I never played any human chars, so I don't really have a clue about
what the stereotypical Arborean would look like. I would expect that the majority
of the visible and invisble NPC population in Arborea are citizens. I don't think that
they have to 'purchase' the citizenship like the PC's have to. IMO it would be
sufficient for them to have a shop within Arborea, or the fact that they've been
living there for several generations to qualify for citizenship. I do not think that the
views of PC citizens represent the views of NPC citizens in any way, though there
might be some similarities.
All knowledge is heresy. Yes, you heard me correctly.
It is the nature of religions to thrive on ignorance.

tessa
Overlord

#4 Post by tessa » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:26 pm

I would say NPCs across Forostar best represent the general view of the populous of Forostar, more than PCs. And yes, most Arborean NPCs are extremely racist against tshaharks, who they tend to see more as beasts or monsters than people.

There are many many invisible NPCs all across Forostar. You can notice many of them in room messages in marketplaces or pubs (such as a pack of hooded warriors passing by, waitresses in pubs, etc).

I would say all NPCs in cities, invisible or not, are citizens of their respective city. If you ask why they don't vote in elections, I assume it's because wizards want the players to choose their judges, and not choose for them (NPCs could easily overwhelm any PC numbers).

I do think it would be better if people would take the opinions of the population of Forostar into consideration of things. The example of Korsario becoming judge comes to mind: PCs are quick to be nice and slow to be mean, and are all for modern ideals like 'equal rights for all', yet in medieval Forostar, such a thing is unheard of (along with ideas like "freedom of speech"), and very few NPCs of Arborea would want what they consider a 'stupid stinking frog' as their judge.

However, people have a right to RP as they want, especially if they have good reasons for it. But I think it would be well if people were mindful of the culture of the people of Forostar when making decisions for their own characters.

chara
Wizard

#5 Post by chara » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:21 am

tessa wrote:I would say all NPCs in cities, invisible or not, are citizens of their respective city..
I would amend that to "most." There are atypical NPCs in some cities that may or may not be citizens. In theory, NPCs travel, too. Some invisible NPCs would be citizens of other cities, or none at all.

But the typical responses from NPCs are usually the typical responses of the average population in the city.
tessa wrote:If you ask why they don't vote in elections, I assume it's because wizards want the players to choose their judges, and not choose for them (NPCs could easily overwhelm any PC numbers).
NPCs do vote in elections, kind of. That's why some types of people get more votes in some elections -- because the general population is more likely to vote for those types of people. It requires some imagination, but there is at least a hint of other votes in the election system.

tessa
Overlord

#6 Post by tessa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:36 pm

chara wrote:I would amend that to "most." There are atypical NPCs in some cities that may or may not be citizens. In theory, NPCs travel, too. Some invisible NPCs would be citizens of other cities, or none at all.
Right, I think I made my statement too hastily while thinking of the rest of my post. I agree the statement would be better as 'most'.