A question

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

lirynel
Veteran

A question

#1 Post by lirynel » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:31 am

I've always assumed that if a monster I'm fighting is on the ground it's easier to hit. I accept that it can still move and avoid a hit and if it's a tiny faerie it might still be a difficult target, but surely it must be easier to hit?

Similarly when something is unconscious it should be easy to hit. I used to put all my misses down to my lousy fighting skills but as they get better I still can't say that I notice npc's that are on the ground or unconscious as being any easier to hit. Are they? Or is the only advantage that they can't hit me back for a while?

I'm just curious.

anglachel
Site Admin

#2 Post by anglachel » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:39 am

A monster on the ground is more easier to hit and a helpless/unconscious one will be automatical hit, beside you make a fumble.
But you still must make enough damage to pentrete the armour.

tessa
Overlord

#3 Post by tessa » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:46 am

Shouldn't specials always hit too? I swear there's been a time than an uncon thing managed to dodge a special I used. I'll test it later and find out.

Also, I've had an unconscious faerie manage to hold on to its weapon when I use disarm. Since it's unconscious, shouldn't it loosen the grip on the weapon? :? After all, I can use 'take weapons from <blah>', I'd imagine a disarm should work automatically as well. I can understand a crappy skill making it fail, but I really don't see how I can actually flick the weapon around yet not be able to knock it out of a limp hand.

And lastly, dunno if it can be helped or not, but unconscious/helpless things can evade 'slash <blah> with whip' too. ;)

Abharsair
Site Admin

#4 Post by Abharsair » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:56 am

All specials automatically hit when your enemy is unconscious or helpless (at least fighter specials do, but I guess it's the same with Shaolin specials). Of course you still have to penetrate the armour, and you might fumble your attack.

And yes, it would be "realistic" that every hit/special would automatically kill someone helpless/unconscious. After all, you have all the time in the world to shove a dagger through your enemy's visor and up his brain. The drawback is that becoming unconscious would then be equal to a death sentence, and I think we can pass on that kind of improved realism.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

tessa
Overlord

#5 Post by tessa » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:02 am

What about disarm, though? IMO, if I myself performed it successfully, it should be able to disarm the weapon of my opponent. I don't see them being able to hold a firm grip on it, especially if I can just take them.

And I agree, specials shouldn't kill, but only damage if it got past armours and wasn't fumbled, but I'm still confused about disarm here. :?