Favour

If it's no bug or an idea, but it's still MUD-related, it goes here.

Moderator: Wizards

Abharsair
Site Admin

Re: Favour

#21 Post by Abharsair » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:30 am

tessa wrote:I think it's important to make sure hopefuls actually meet expectations and can be productive members of the guild before accepting any old schmuck off the street for the sake of numbers. Just because someone wants to join doesn't mean they necessarily deserve to join, or have automatically earned it.
I used to think this way as well, but I eventually changed my mind. In the case of the non-secret guilds I think it's better to be lenient and give wannabes a chance, and then bring them up to the standard by training and disciplining them (and expelling them if they don't stop screwing up). The frustration of having to wait for a long time might drive away people before they had a chance to learn. There have been many players who came to Geas clueless and then turned out to be great roleplayers once they had someone to tutor them. Naturally this doesn't work for secret guilds (no chance to expel someone without letting everyone else know all the secrets), and it doesn't work if there's no guidance from the more experienced players.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."